Buying a boat...need some tips!

Yea, but a party barge is not exactly romantic IMO. I want something smaller and not as obvious.

In keeping with the rep us southern folks have, maybe I should just opt for the swamp boat and string some Christmas lights on it lmao! Originally Posted by London Rayne
That would work, just make sure the lights are Red.
Could always do the lights out of colored condoms! This way you'll always have protection on the boat just in case!LOL
I have had many providers on my 23ft cuddy cabin. Remember even when no one can see you below. They will still know what you are doing. MMMM I wounder why that boat is making small waves.
Just remember....If it flies, fucks, or floats....RENT IT!
  • WTF
  • 04-27-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm so jealous!! I would love to have a boat somewhere...Happy for you though love Originally Posted by Valerie
Wait 'till you own one!

London , here is my experience. I bought a brand new 30 foot boat with a generator ( you need ac for bcd! ). That size boat is not easy to learn how to drive. Also it is a continuous maintenance issue. Below is a link to the type I owned. As someone said, selling a boat is one of the happiest days of a boaters life.

http://www.boatquest.com/Chaparral/C...goryBoats.aspx
Wait 'till you own one!

London , here is my experience. I bought a brand new 30 foot boat with a generator ( you need ac for bcd! ). That size boat is not easy to learn how to drive. Also it is a continuous maintenance issue. Below is a link to the type I owned. As someone said, selling a boat is one of the happiest days of a boaters life.

http://www.boatquest.com/Chaparral/C...goryBoats.aspx Originally Posted by WTF
Ok I don't want a boat for BCD you perverts!! I don't even want a cabin on the thing...just a boat to get on the water with at a moment's notice, so nothing that is high maitenance. I have about 7 I am looking at right now, but will have a guy who knows something about boats check them out before I buy. I don't want to get stuck with a lemon.
Make sure the inspector looks at the bottom of the boat out of the water. Pay particular attention to the keel (if it has a fixed keel) and look for any blistering on the hull. If there is any damage to the keel or major blistering on the hull pass and look for another boat. These two problems could lead to major repairs down the road and have an impact on the sea worthiness of the boat. That is not to say that there are not plenty of other issues to look for but these are the major ones in my opinion and ones that you cant see unless the boat is on dry land which in many cases they are not.
My budget

My dream
My budget....

My dream lol.

LOL!! Least you won't have to have a marina slip. New Motto, Have Kayak will travel to remote places in the bayou!!
Sweetheart, don't listen to the haters. I've owned over a dozen boats and currently own three. The largest being just a tad over 50'.

If you dream of a sailboat don't wait, buy a little 25 footer with a nice head, galley, and cabin (a Catalina 25 or 27 would be perfect). You can pick up a boat like this for 5 to 10K. You can easily put an a/c on the forward hatch and keep it cool all summer long.

Rent a slip in the nearest marina and tell the local sailing dudes you want to take it out but need a little help. You should have fights breaking out for the privilege of teaching you. It'll be more fun than you can imagine.
Sweetheart, don't listen to the haters. I've owned over a dozen boats and currently own three. The largest being just a tad over 50'.

If you dream of a sailboat don't wait, buy a little 25 footer with a nice head, galley, and cabin (a Catalina 25 or 27 would be perfect). You can pick up a boat like this for 5 to 10K. You can easily put an a/c on the forward hatch and keep it cool all summer long.

Rent a slip in the nearest marina and tell the local sailing dudes you want to take it out but need a little help. You should have fights breaking out for the privilege of teaching you. It'll be more fun than you can imagine. Originally Posted by MisterB
Thank you kind sir for the positive thoughts!! That's exactly what I was told about buying a small sailboat, so my dream may just be in the near future. I would need to take some lessons on how to actually sail though, but as you said...could be hella entertaining.
I had a small i/o ski boat and loved it. My SO at the time hated it . She refused to go to the lake and got pissed off when I asked other ladies if they wanted to go. Go figure. Yeah, even my small boat got expensive, but the entertainment budget was well in line. And the magnet factor was worth every penny.
I had a small i/o ski boat and loved it. My SO at the time hated it . She refused to go to the lake and got pissed off when I asked other ladies if they wanted to go. Go figure. Yeah, even my small boat got expensive, but the entertainment budget was well in line. And the magnet factor was worth every penny. Originally Posted by am-a-pleaser
I will be on the water every weekend..bet on that! Once you live on the water it is like a dark cloud being without it. Waking up every day to the sound of rushing water, and seeing the sun set over it from your back deck is heaven! I have lived in Nola almost 6 years and I will miss Uptown, but being on the water will make me forget really quick.
London. . . Still got the Hot Tub??