Have you ever been really scared?

Many times, flying fighters around and onto aircraft carriers at night, often during combat. Not so much during the event, but sometimes after an emergency, or seeing one of your buds buy it, or getting shot at, the rush and shakes are a bit much. Just part of the job, though.

Feel sad for those who didn't sign up for it, and shared their stories here. That's so different from dealing with it regularly as a profession. Still gets one's attention, however!
Oh, I forgot about one other incident; sitting in my former dentist's chair for an extraction and hearing him say, "Ooops." Originally Posted by Fancyinheels

oh my god!!! That is the worst thing ever!!!
Oh, I forgot about one other incident; sitting in my former dentist's chair for an extraction and hearing him say, "Ooops." Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
OOPS by Bill Cosby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JrxXRU1GOE
Many times, flying fighters around and onto aircraft carriers at night, often during combat. Not so much during the event, but sometimes after an emergency, or seeing one of your buds buy it, or getting shot at, the rush and shakes are a bit much. Just part of the job, though.

Feel sad for those who didn't sign up for it, and shared their stories here. That's so different from dealing with it regularly as a profession. Still gets one's attention, however! Originally Posted by topguntex
I value and respect your experience. It must be completely different to deal with such threats on a professional base. How do you cope? I think its the bravest thing to do....to fight for a country.....I would prefer no wars and pacifism, but in reality such things are not possible. Therefor i think soldiers are one of the bravest people.
A few of the scares I talked about was in flying planes.
I never flew in combat but shared a cockpit many a time with those that did.
I was hunting in the Big Bend area of SW Texas, with a muzzle loader. It was one of those muzzle loader kits - I’d bought and built it in the late 80’s. The muzzle loader had steel sights and was accurate - for me, anyway. I was also carrying a .38 revolver, which was not accurate, for me, anyway.

My walk had me headed toward the house, after another long, unsuccessful day of hunting. If you’ve walked or driven through the canyons near Big Bend, you know how unbelievably vast and awesome the area is. Even unsuccessful hunts are awe inspiring. You’re never quite certain anyone else has been where you are walking.

Anyway, the rocks were catching the setting sun and glowing red. I was a little lazy in my walk now - I expected to see nothing and was hurrying towards my car. I had about a mile to go, but walking down the winding trails I was spending more time looking for arrowheads than mule deer.

I came around a pretty sharp bend in the trail and the first thing that registered in my sight was a deer - on the ground, covered in blood. I stopped. The second thing that registered was the ghostly brown shape crouched in the shadows next to the deer. I could see the shape, about 30 yards from me, crouching next to the dead animal. It’s camouflage was amazing - in clear line of sight, the animal blended with the rock surrounding it. The walls surrounding our trail were about 15 feet high, and 15 feet higher than I would be able to climb. Climb quickly, anyway.

A mountain lion. It’s head was turned towards me as I stopped. I could see the dark spots where it’s eyes were, I could see the dark around it’s mouth. There was no reflection from the sun, just dark spots - eyes, ears, nose. I could make out the outline of it’s haunches as it was broadside to me. I don’t know how long I looked at it, or it at me. I don’t really know what went through my head. I stood there. It crouched there.

I have never heard a sound more frightening than when the cat screamed. I’ve heard it on television, I’ve heard about hearing it. But I’d never heard it in person. There is no more terrifying sound - especially when you’re alone. The scream made me move - I flung the muzzle loader, which was on a sling over my shoulder, under my arm and to my shoulder and dropped to my knee. I think I remember seeing the cat turn towards me. I think I saw it’s eyes and nose in the steel sights of the rifle. I don’t remember flicking the trigger release, but I did. I don’t remember pulling the trigger, but I did. I do remember the explosion of the gun firing and that I was blind afterwards.

There was too much smoke to see if I’d hit the cat. Muzzle loaders use black powder which result in a ridiculous amount of white smoke after every shot. There was little wind to dissipate the smoke and it seemed to hang in the air forever. I dropped the rifle and grabbed my inaccurate pistol, but there was still nothing to see.

The gunpowder haze cleared. The deer was still there. The cat was gone. I don’t know if I hit it - the cat or the mule deer - with the muzzle loader. Blood already covered the ground around the deer and I couldn’t tell if I was seeing deer blood or cat blood. I reloaded the muzzle loader and hurried towards the truck.

I don’t recall being scared between the time I saw the cat and pulling the trigger. But the one-mile walk from the sharp bend in the trail to my car was the most scared I’ve ever been in my life. Every rock fall, the sound of my own feet and the wind had me on edge every step of the way. I no longer carry a .38 revolver - I’ve moved up to a .40 caliber automatic - with 16 shots. It is accurate, for me, anyway. Regardless, if I hear that scream again, I’ll probably shit myself.
i have feared death three times. not going in details about it. its very personal. i feel i have to tell so much about me when i talk about that things. But one time of these three it was not my death it was watching my sister almost die. That made me so protective about my sister that whenever she has pain its more painful for me now than my own pain. One of the things that i am most devoted about in my life is keeping my sister happy. And being there for her. Originally Posted by ninasastri
That is very sad Nina....so very sorry. I fear when that time will come for me as it does all of us, but I can't imagine the world without my family. I had a cat too for 17 years...she died in my arms just as I prayed for when I was a little girl.
I've had a gun pulled on me one time and was mugged once but the scariest thing I remember was seeing the 70's version of the blob lol. I was about 7 and I took cold baths and ran cold water in the sink while I bathed for awhile after that movie - cold stopped the blob Red jello still scares me a little
Yes! When ole C&C was abt 13-14 yrs old & the original movie of "The Thing" was shown. It was the early or mid-50s & was filmed in black & white. The role of the creature was played by James Arness in his first movie. Of course one never saw his face without his mask makeup. C&C pulled his feet up into the chair seat, in case somethink came from underneath. The usually fearless C&G laid awake for two nights, watching his DARK, open bedroom door & imagined a huge (Arness was 6'7" tall), ominous figure coming through it. Finally slept the 3rd night from sheer exhaustion. Been in Marines & fights since, but never that frightened again. Whew! Originally Posted by Cumandgitit
Awww. Been there C & G and it's awful. I was very very young the first time I saw "Alien" and for some reason that film scared the shit out of me. I had seen other scary films but that one stuck with me for a while. I was traumatized for most of that summer...what a waste of a school holidays lol xxxxxx That film scared me more than the car accident I had about 6 years ago. I think it's the loss of control that creates the fear more than anything. Even though we were hit from the rear at 90+mph I was driving and I was so focused on trying to control the situation that fear didnt have a chance to kick in. Totally different for my passenger though. Same thing with scary films (esp. when you are young) I think that sense of loss of control...
C xxxxx
Many times, flying fighters around and onto aircraft carriers at night, often during combat. Not so much during the event, but sometimes after an emergency, or seeing one of your buds buy it, or getting shot at, the rush and shakes are a bit much. Just part of the job, though. Originally Posted by topguntex
I can't imagine. Watching the Tranche I test night flights at Cranwell was an adrenaline rush...and that was just from the ground. Military pilots are hot shit. Incredible reaction times....Much respect to them. Much xx
I can't imagine. Watching the Tranche I test night flights at Cranwell was an adrenaline rush...and that was just from the ground. Military pilots are hot shit. Incredible reaction times....Much respect to them. Much xx Originally Posted by Camille
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVpCh__Xzg8
Oh gosh...don't start posting youtube clips of military jets lol..I'll be there all night. I'm a bit of a geek where MJets are concerned. Is that real? I can't imagine it is (esp with no crew on the flight deck??)..yet it looks it!?
Love this clip of the Eurofighter from 2007...Roooooooooooooar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ9X...eature=related

"We're neck and neck..I'm getting away!"...hahaha you wish!
That is very sad Nina....so very sorry. I fear when that time will come for me as it does all of us, but I can't imagine the world without my family. I had a cat too for 17 years...she died in my arms just as I prayed for when I was a little girl. Originally Posted by London Rayne
Oh no.....it makes me almost cry to read that.....(snieeeef). My cats are like family members to me. Its the saddest thing to loose loved ones, humans or animals.
You never know if you did everything right, if it was ok how i cared for him in the end, if i could or should have done something different. At some point i just wanted to put everything far away from me and not feel anything anymore. Originally Posted by ninasastri
Nina, any of us who have been in that position for a loved one human , or animal know how easy it is to second guess your decisions.We beat ourselves up for all the things we feel we should have done different. I guess that is why you notice many people will try to shy away from these types of situations, and magically disappear until all has been said, and done.It is such a painful place to be , and anyone who has gone through it has my respect.I hope you no longer feel the same way, and know that there is no right, or wrong in the choices you had to make.The fact that you were there when he needed you is what says it all.
Had the feeling many times - and most of those times I deserved it.

Worst four:

1. being shot (grew up in a rough neighborhood),
2. falling off large mountain (too macho to rope in),
3. stalling with a full invert and spin in a small plane (too trusting to question pilot's skill in poor weather), and
4. being bitten by large, venomous snake (just couldn't leave the thing alone).

Never really enjoyed the scared-shitless feeling, but was too young and dumb to avoid it. God knows how I managed to grow old.

Now I'm too old and lazy to get myself into such positions. I'm more scared of a stroke these days than I am of death by stupidity.

Cheers,
Mazo.