What are you reading?

The original question was about books and I answered that. But what mags do you read regularly or subscribe to? For me, it''s "The Smithsonian" (articles are nearly the same as National Geographic, only much shorter, lol), and "The Atlantic."
Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American by Gwynne
Originally Posted by Whirlaway
I was interested in this.. how is it?
The original question was about books and I answered that. But what mags do you read regularly or subscribe to? For me, it''s "The Smithsonian" (articles are nearly the same as National Geographic, only much shorter, lol), and "The Atlantic." Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I kinda had you figured as a National Geographic guy for the naked tribal people pics....
I was interested in this.. how is it? Originally Posted by SarahAndFriends

I became interested in the book after reading "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides this summer. Empire of the Summer Moon is equally good, so far. But I have an affinity for this genre.

If you ever traveled/lived in the Navajo Nations (Northern Arizona) then I would highly recommend Blood and Thunder.
I don't read unless it's for school or the Bible lol. Would rather play on Eccie and Facebook.
KNOWN AND UNKNOWN
I don't read unless it's for school or the Bible lol. Would rather play on Eccie and Facebook. Originally Posted by London Rayne
So, London, give me a hint of your taste: what version of the Bible? Protestant or Catholic versions? And which version of those do you pick up? Should be on the cover page.
I became interested in the book after reading "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides this summer. Empire of the Summer Moon is equally good, so far. But I have an affinity for this genre.

If you ever traveled/lived in the Navajo Nations (Northern Arizona) then I would highly recommend Blood and Thunder. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
I enjoy reading about Native Americans and their leaders, such as Quanah Parker. Based on your interest in the Navajo, I was going to recommend: Nasdijj’s Blood Runs Like A River Through My Dreams. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company. 2000. pp. vi, 216. I read it ten years ago, but subsequently—I just now discovered, it has come to light that this book is a collection of plagiarized fiction. As such, it has no redeeming value; it is a “Navahoax.” Now, I feel as though I’ve been sucker-punched. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...154221,00.html
Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons by
Bill Watterson

If you ever traveled/lived in the Navajo Nations (Northern Arizona) then I would highly recommend Blood and Thunder. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
I like all kinds of stuff..but particularly books about history,travel, food, and culture. I rarely read fiction. I saw that book at a local bookstore when I was browsing through the Native American section and thought it looked interesting.
So, London, give me a hint of your taste: what version of the Bible? Protestant or Catholic versions? And which version of those do you pick up? Should be on the cover page. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I do find it a bit funny of just how many "versions" of the bible there are out there...But I don't want to hijack the thread by going off with all my anti-religion crap...so carry on!
I do find it a bit funny of just how many "versions" of the bible there are out there...But I don't want to hijack the thread by going off with all my anti-religion crap...so carry on! Originally Posted by Valerie
There are many "bibles." For different religions. Many versions of the ones with which we are familiar, written for all kinds of different reasons.

And c'mon, Val, you can be "anti-religious" w/o calling it "crap." Or b/c you call it "crap" does that mean you're really religious underneath?
I don't read unless it's for school or the Bible lol. Would rather play on Eccie and Facebook. Originally Posted by London Rayne
I rather read Cosmopolitan, Vogue and Elle girl.
There are many "bibles." For different religions. Many versions of the ones with which we are familiar, written for all kinds of different reasons.

And c'mon, Val, you can be "anti-religious" w/o calling it "crap." Or b/c you call it "crap" does that mean you're really religious underneath? Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I know....many many many different religions....and yes my darling, I am most definitely anti-religion....I don't frown upon those of you who are religious, as I always say, do whatever works for ya....I just personally care not for religion.....

Blood and Thunder is a great book!
Having lived a good part of my life in northern NM, I really enjoyed reading this one.