Cool places youve been: no restrictions: Hints for travel and places to go when you get there

I didnt say a word.
I am really hoping for a working trip to Hong Kong and Tokyo- We shall see! I have some Japanese colleagues that can show me the ropes...

WW- Did you play golf in Japan? I have heard it is truly an experience. $2,500 green fee....wear a suit to the course, change to play golf... After 9 you shower, massage, lunch in suit (different one from the arrival suit), change back into different golf gear and play the back 9, and the change into a suit again after the back 9!!!! This came from my boss who took a 4 ball golfing in Tokyo...... Unreal!
How do you not like London? Granted, it's not Paris, but wow!!!??
It wasnt so much the city- but the people....

A- Brits (English not Scotish) aggrevate the shit out of me
B- Too many suicide bombers running around there!

Much better cities throughout the world!!!
WW- Did you play golf in Japan? I have heard it is truly an experience. $2,500 green fee....wear a suit to the course, change to play golf... After 9 you shower, massage, lunch in suit (different one from the arrival suit), change back into different golf gear and play the back 9, and the change into a suit again after the back 9!!!! This came from my boss who took a 4 ball golfing in Tokyo...... Unreal! Originally Posted by Aceswild
No, nor anywhere else. I'm not a golfer at all. However, the story sounds plausible, about right actually, to me in the context of many other experiences in Japan. Most things/activities there are, well, different...even, most of all in many cases, those which appear familiar and ordinary at a superficial level.

Good luck on seeing your trip there and HK happen.

-Ww
I am really hoping for a working trip to Hong Kong and Tokyo- We shall see! I have some Japanese colleagues that can show me the ropes...

WW- Did you play golf in Japan? I have heard it is truly an experience. $2,500 green fee....wear a suit to the course, change to play golf... After 9 you shower, massage, lunch in suit (different one from the arrival suit), change back into different golf gear and play the back 9, and the change into a suit again after the back 9!!!! This came from my boss who took a 4 ball golfing in Tokyo...... Unreal! Originally Posted by Aceswild
Never had the golf experience in Japan, but Tokyo is one of my fav cities. Shopping for the latest electronics in the Akihabara or Shinjuku districts. Meida Dori Avenue in Ochanomizu (JR Chuo Line) is famous for musical instrument shops. The Yamaha Music Store in Ginza sells almost every musical instrument available and they also have live performances in their store.

Dining is unbelievable, any type of cuisine you can imagine is probably available. Here is a useful list http://www.frommers.com/destinations...85_inddin.html

The Hotel Okura near the US Embassy is usually my base. It has western style convenience, but is very Japanese.
I've been to six of the seven continents, multiple times each (I am determined to visit Antarctica before I leave)... both for work and for play. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel. I find it interesting to see so little regard for North America, in our answers so far. Not a criticism.... just interesting...

Giz Originally Posted by MrGiz
I'm not surprised. It certainly is sexier or more hip to talk about a place halfway around the world.

I've had the chance to travel (although not as much as Giz) & am glad to have had the opportunity, but I've found most of the time I have as much fun exploring some gem here in the States, often just a short flight or even drive from home.

What I've never understood is why some people will spend a day or more flying half way around the world so they can hole up in some resort. The sun, splash, spa, and cold beverages are just as good closer to home if what they are looking for is a getaway week/weekend. (I understand the need to travel if you are exploring new places, history, etc.)
I'm not surprised. It certainly is sexier or more hip to talk about a place halfway around the world.

I've had the chance to travel (although not as much as Giz) & am glad to have had the opportunity, but I've found most of the time I have as much fun exploring some gem here in the States, often just a short flight or even drive from home.

What I've never understood is why some people will spend a day or more flying half way around the world so they can hole up in some resort. The sun, splash, spa, and cold beverages are just as good closer to home if what they are looking for is a getaway week/weekend. (I understand the need to travel if you are exploring new places, history, etc.) Originally Posted by atlcomedy

i havent yet explored all of texas and its nooks (not nookies, altho i havent explored all of those either) and crannys... when i drive around texas...i stop at the historical markers..i stop at the state parks and buy local books about the area or the history of that part of texas...i visit musems and i love to stay at old hotels when possible...

i take car trips instead of flying when time allows when going across this country..taking my time and stopping along the way...
i take car trips instead of flying when time allows when going across this country..taking my time and stopping along the way... Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Am I the only one hooked on that show on the Food Network, "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives" (or whatever it is called)? I'm thinking about planning a long weekend gastric feast. Fly to a starting point, rent a car & hit at least two places on the list a day staying in a different city each night.
Sidneyb, would be interested in your Alaska trip to Gustavas...I have recently returned from three weeks in Europe and will be flying to Seattle next week. I am planning to kayak the Inner Passage from Washington to Alaska and back. I made the first trip last year only one way, this trip I plan a round trip event. It is so quiet, just the sound of the blade in the water, the crisp air, just magnificent, would love to spend some time in Gustavas.... Originally Posted by runswithscissors

I'm so sorry I missed your post/request about Alaska. I saw people Kayaking there - that's amazingly brave; at least out of the islands (Maybe no lions and tigers - but definitely BEARS!). Let us know what you saw on this trip.

While I understand I missed your trip this time, if you make another up that way, this is a great place to stay:

http://www.alaskasportfish.net/

I went with a group of 20 - all of which had been to alaska before - and they all preferred this hidden oasis over more trendy places off the mainland. Primarily it was because we didn't have to boat out 2 or 3 hrs to fish. We just drove down to the boats in the morning and were fishing for chum in 15 min. In 1/2 hr we were catching (or trying to) catch HUMONGOUS halibut - we each left with 100 lbs of halibut and 50 lbs of silver coho - I'm saving the last of my catch for a friends visit (do you hear that Ansley???? get out here girl!). At breakfast one day we saw a big old black bear 10 ft from the picture window - elk in fields. Just beautiful. The Whales were very active in that part of the waters as well.

The boats are solid, the fishing guides were all great - took a day out and saw a glacier and some wildlife. Really recommend this location. Remote, yes. Bring your own wine, yes. Worth it? Heck Yes.

And Sweet Elizabeth...don't be jealous - first of all, you have things I don't anymore....My daughter lives in CA now and I didn't get her for Mothers day. I spent that day alone this year. My daughter is grown up and your little guy is still growing...you have an amazing amount of freedom (and a little loneliness) once they're gone...As to the rest; yeah. I am lucky -- I have an ex client that has been nothing but amazing to me, so yeah. I count my blessings, but there is a cost to my choices (like being alone on mothers day) that puts things on balance. As a brilliant friend of mine says: Everything is a trade. Not a trade OFF. But a trade.
Dining is unbelievable, any type of cuisine you can imagine is probably available. Here is a useful list http://www.frommers.com/destinations...85_inddin.html Originally Posted by Egrbvr
A few years ago Tokyo passed Paris as the city in the world with the most Michelin star restaurants and most total stars. A friend who lives in Paris told me that it was a huge deal in the French media and a good way to start almost hysterical rants at an upscale social gathering in Paris the year it happened. (Paris still has the most 3 star restaurants though. London in #3, btw.)

French food critics widely consider Tokyo to have the best French food in the world outside France (a few say outside Paris), as well.

I have eaten in quite a few Tokyo "star restaurants", and they are indeed superb (if often ruinously expensive). In addition, I have had many fantastic meals in places which I am certain Michelin has never even investigated.

So, yeah, the grub is pretty good there.

-Ww
What I've never understood is why some people will spend a day or more flying half way around the world so they can hole up in some resort. The sun, splash, spa, and cold beverages are just as good closer to home if what they are looking for is a getaway week/weekend. (I understand the need to travel if you are exploring new places, history, etc.) Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Amen to that.

I always say that having either too little or too much money is a hazard to interesting world travel. Too little and you can't afford to get there or to stay long enough to really get to know a place; too much and it is very easy to end up having a generic and too cosmopolitan experience nearly identical to one you could have had close to home.

-Ww
  • MrGiz
  • 05-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Restaraunts.... Food.

I know I'm going to offend a whole bunch of the "Upper Crust" here.... but I'm from New Orleans..... 'nuff said!

Only seven things I miss about New Orleans.... food is one of 'em!

Giz
Put me in the category of people who just don't like Tokyo; have been there quite a few times and it never did it for me. Hong Kong, Sydney, London, Paris fared much better.
WARNING- DO NOT GO TO LONDON....SOFIA IS THERE WITH PAUL NOW....