Immortality

The road to the Palace of Wisdom is definitely not the road of excess.

That is the road to perdition that has led many souls astray.

In fact,the road to Wisdom is not even a road proper.

It is a hard and humble path.

. . . A narrow, winding and rocky path that few dare to climb and most overlook.

Now this thread is finally returning to the comedy with which it started. FastGoon giving us a lesson on wisdom. Now THAT is funny!

. . . A narrow, winding and rocky path that few dare to climb and most overlook.

Originally Posted by Fast Gunn

I always thought the meaning of that quote was that sensual pleasure is a dead end but it can teach us that true happiness is not found in the material world. It's a spiritual irony that doing the wrong thing can result in wisdom. It's like an alcoholic that finally gets his act to together after he hits bottom.

Of course the problem with the path of excess is that, although it can lead to wisdom, it can also lead to oblivion.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Or it's an elevator for your fucking cars....
Since you are delusional, hee it is AGAIN:

Originally Posted by I B Hankering
You are lucky your mother was Neanderthal:

Any human whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has a little Neanderthal in them

Where did I misquote you? I didn't.
You are lucky your mother was Neanderthal: IS the same as "lucky = Neanderthal"

Any human [who] developed outside Africa has a little Neanderthal in them
IS the same as "non-African = Neanderthal blood"

Guess agan. No lie on my part, just a quote (in red). Sorry you don't like what you said. Originally Posted by Old-T
Old-goaT, you are still lying.

Rattle, rattle, you despicable, lying goober, you.
This thread has gone way off track.

The subject was immortality, but as usual the endless squabbling has derailed it.

Certain unstable individuals whom we know well are so insecure that they must shotgun scatter their insults and sprinkle their precious little knowledge in the hopes of convincing the board of their intelligence.

However, that tactic only works when you actually have at least a modicum of intelligence to impart and the more you press your foolish diatribes, the more you show your ignorance.

. . .Give it a rest, fool!

It was your 'knowledge' that failed to make muster, FastGoon. You showed your ignorance about the place of Neanderthals in human evolution, fool.
Well, glad to hear that you can drop a pearl on us now and then.

However, it will be lost on most.

. . . Don't cast your pearls among swine!

I always thought the meaning of that quote was that sensual pleasure is a dead end but it can teach us that true happiness is not found in the material world. It's a spiritual irony that doing the wrong thing can result in wisdom. It's like an alcoholic that finally gets his act to together after he hits bottom.

Of course the problem with the path of excess is that, although it can lead to wisdom, it can also lead to oblivion.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake Originally Posted by joe bloe
  • Seedy
  • 04-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Well, glad to hear that you can drop a pearl on us now and then.

However, it will be lost on most.

. . . Don't cast your pearls among swine!

You like receiving a "pearl necklace". Eh..... oink oink.......LMFAO
Since you are delusional, hee it is AGAIN:

Originally Posted by I B Hankering
You are lucky your mother was Neanderthal:

Any human whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has a little Neanderthal in them

Where did I misquote you? I didn't.
You are lucky your mother was Neanderthal: IS the same as "lucky = Neanderthal"

Any human [who] developed outside Africa has a little Neanderthal in them
IS the same as "non-African = Neanderthal blood"

Guess agan. No lie on my part, just a quote (in red). Sorry you don't like what you said. Originally Posted by Old-T
First, Old-goaT, as explained in the post at http://www.eccie.net/showpost.php?p=...3&postcount=39, the post at http://www.eccie.net/showpost.php?p=...9&postcount=21 was a deprecatory, sarcastic gibe at FastGoon’s failure to grasp even the most elemental facts. The word ‘lucky’ – FastGoon’s term of choice – was employed sarcastically.

Secondly, unbeknownst to you, Old-goaT, the philosophical study of
valid reasoning is called ‘logic’: from the Greek λογική logikē. Logic is used in most intellectual activities; therefore, it is obviously an activity unknown and unknowable to you, Old-goaT, because you lack the intellectual capabilities of a fifth grader.

Old-goaT, @
http://www.eccie.net/showpost.php?p=...4&postcount=32 you state: Lucky = Neanderthal blood = non-African. Your words, your true inner feelings that Africans are "unlucky". In the field of logic, Old-goaT, you have fabricated what is known as a ‘false syllogism’, i.e.,
Major premise: Lucky = Neanderthal blood
Minor premise: Neanderthal blood = non-African
Conclusion: Africans = "unlucky"
Old-goaT, your fabrication is a ‘false syllogism’ because your:
Major premise: Lucky = Neanderthal blood
. . . taken with your . . .
Minor premise: Neanderthal blood = non-African
. . . does not support your . . .
Conclusion: Africans = "unlucky"
The simple fact is, Lucky = Neanderthal in no manner precludes Africans = "lucky"!!! Any fifth grader can see that!!! Yet once again, you have demonstrated – over and over – you lack the cognitive ability of a fifth grader.

Your continued insistence that YOUR fabrication is infallibly ‘true’ makes you both an inveterate liar and a fool.
Okay, let's see if we can get this thread back on track.

Once again, let me remind you folks, that the subject of this thread is immortality.

In its essence, it is really a serious subject, but Woody Allen made even that into a subject of his insane humor.

. . . I really don't understand why there is so much free-floating animosity on this board!

Ok, I am not opposed to immortality. Is that on point?
If all disease was curable, and all accidental death could somehow be prevented and no one got murdered, eventually everyone would commit suicide. Seriously, after two or three thousand years, you gotta figure it's gonna get awfully monotonous. The first four or five hundred menage a trois with super models are bound to be really sweet but after about ten thousand of them you may start to dread it.

Part of what makes life precious is that it's brief. Scarcity is part of what creates value. If diamonds were as common as pebbles they would have no value.

If we all had unlimited time in this world, I wonder if anyone would accomplish anything. Maybe we'd just put everything off, after all there's plenty time, there's always tommorow or the next day.
I will save my opinion on that until after supermodel menage a trois number 368.
Imagine posting on here five times a day for ten thousand years. I'd be checking out waaaaaay before that! Imagine how annoying liberals would be after a few thousand years. I can barely stand them now.
Well, that is an novel point of view on immortality.

I've heard of a good salesman being able to sell snow to an Eskimo, but selling death because immortality could become boring?

That is one hell of a weak argument and I'm not buying it.

Granted that new life always seems to arise from death, but I am all for extending the meager life span, but then living like a decrepit old geezer is a depressing reward for a life time of hard work.

Was it the Who used to sing "I hope I die before I get old"?

Attaining immortality, but ending up looking like Keith Richards is hardly worth the effort.

. . . What happened to the search for the Fountain of Youth, anyway?

If all disease was curable, and all accidental death could somehow be prevented and no one got murdered, eventually everyone would commit suicide. Seriously, after two or three thousand years, you gotta figure it's gonna get awfully monotonous. The first four or five hundred menage a trois with super models are bound to be really sweet but after about ten thousand of them you may start to dread it.

Part of what makes life precious is that it's brief. Scarcity is part of what creates value. If diamonds were as common as pebbles they would have no value.

If we all had unlimited time in this world, I wonder if anyone would accomplish anything. Maybe we'd just put everything off, after all there's plenty time, there's always tommorow or the next day. Originally Posted by joe bloe