Just throwing this out here.

Well hell I guess if you were any kind of attorney you would have been able to retire anywhere you desired with a nice nest egg a few years ago. At least the ones I know have been able to do this. Originally Posted by OneHotMale
Not to get too deep into personal financial details, but I'm about 85% of the way there. Part of the problem is that I plan to increase my spending once I'm retired. Most retirement models have you spending a reduced amount in retirement. I plan to travel extensively when I retire and maintain two or three homes. So I'm modeling 150% of pre-retirement spending with a post retirement real rate of return of 3.5%. So that's part of why I'm only 85% of the way there at 51.
Not to get too deep into personal financial details, but I'm about 85% of the way there. Part of the problem is that I plan to increase my spending once I'm retired. Most retirement models have you spending a reduced amount in retirement. I plan to travel extensively when I retire and maintain two or three homes. So I'm modeling 150% of pre-retirement spending with a post retirement real rate of return of 3.5%. So that's part of why I'm only 85% of the way there at 51. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
And, of course, with all that additional traveling, there is the additional cost of an increased number and variety of providers.
  • oden
  • 05-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Wherever you travel, it will only reinforce that the girls in Texas are special.
I don't know if I'll hobby much in retirement while traveling. I've got several girlfriends that are auditioning for full time roles as the traveling Ms. TushHog du jour. Nothing so radical as getting married, understand, but whilst living abroad, or even somewhere here in the U.S. and having lots of time on my hands, I think I want a long term relationship (or at least a series of long term relationships).
  • WTF
  • 06-01-2010, 05:25 AM
I don't know if I'll hobby much in retirement while traveling. I've got several girlfriends that are auditioning for full time roles as the traveling Ms. TushHog du jour. Nothing so radical as getting married, understand, but whilst living abroad, or even somewhere here in the U.S. and having lots of time on my hands, I think I want a long term relationship (or at least a series of long term relationships). Originally Posted by TexTushHog

Damn TTH.......you're starting to worring me with silly talk like that.
I'm not sure anyone would want to become Mrs. TushHog. The name just sounds way too slutty. (Come to think of it, I'm not sure anyone wants to be called Mrs. Midnight, either -- and for much the same reason.)

But the idea of an avid traveler seeking sort of a relationship du jour makes perfect sense. I plan to do a lot more traveling during the next decade and prefer to share the experience with a good companion. But marriage? Since I have no intention of starting a family while in my 60s, I see no point in it.

Serial monogamy, maybe. (Or perhaps "semi-monogamy." Got to leave room for the occasional hobby experience.)
I'm soooo far away from my golden years I haven't given it much thought.....

The idea of a wonderful travel companion (civie world) sounds great. But I've learned in my travels that the ideal travel companion may well be very different than your wife, SO, or even platonic friends.

There is a lot of "together" time, often with it impractical to meaningfully "get some space." You need to have similar interests, pace, balance between "taking it easy" & adventure/exploration.

There are a number of people in my life that I love dearly but hate to travel with....
I'm pretty far away myself. BTW, what comes after "golden years".
BTW, what comes after "golden years". Originally Posted by John Bull
I've always found Texans to be warm, engaging and gregarious for the most part. I've only heard good things about them.

The population of every state seems to be characterized by traits unique in and of themselves. Compare Texans to San Franciscans, New Yorkers or Miameeites (Miami)... yikes!
I don't know if I'll hobby much in retirement while traveling. I've got several girlfriends that are auditioning for full time roles as the traveling Ms. TushHog du jour. Nothing so radical as getting married, understand, but whilst living abroad, or even somewhere here in the U.S. and having lots of time on my hands, I think I want a long term relationship (or at least a series of long term relationships). Originally Posted by TexTushHog
That attitude will get you some leg fo’ sho’. Will the convo go something like this?

"Baby I love you and your sweat French ways, but you are starting to smell a bit Vichy to me. I’m puttin’ yo’ ass back on da next plane to The States. I’m headed to Spain, and I’m fixin’ to get me so hot, nalgas bonitos Tush Hog.”

I’ll bet you’re a real smooth talker.
He wont need to talk smooth. "Talk loudly, carry big wallet."
He wont need to talk smooth. "Talk loudly, carry big wallet." Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
It’s all a balance. Just because you can afford something doesn’t mean that you should spend your life paying for it. Retire, travel, live happily ever after, but wouldn’t it be more fun if you loved the someone with you verses rented that someone?

MA, I want to be filled up. When I move on like Tush is doing, I want it ALL!
It’s all a balance. Just because you can afford something doesn’t mean that you should spend your life paying for it. Retire, travel, live happily ever after, but wouldn’t it be more fun if you loved the someone with you verses rented that someone? Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
Hello! Choir here!