best fried chicken in SA

when a newspaper gives awards for the best whatever's it's usually replete with the biggest advertisers
  • STF
  • 07-28-2015, 10:30 AM
+1 on Earl Abel's
  • oden
  • 07-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Not a fan of Earl Ables and the over cooked vegetables but I am a big fan of Tip Top Cafe. Anyone tried the new location?
I like Bill Millers and Church's chicken. Instead of fries I'll go for potato salad at BM's and the cole slaw at Church's. I thought Golden Chicken was overrated. Hey Slave, it's been awhile since I had Earl Ables. As for chicken fried steak I vote Texas Roadhouse. Pollo Loco makes a good roast chicken and so did Taco Cabana till they screwed up their menu. Good fried chicken has to have a good crunch while the skin stays on. Nice and juicy. I will try the chicken and waffles sometime before it gets banned for being Southern.
My absolute worst is Kentucky and Popeyes if I like my sodium chicken flavored. Haven't been to TipTop in a while even though I'm a stones throw away. Any ladies want to join me?
Just ate at Tip Top on Nacogdoches/O'Connor tonight for second time. Food is awesome...but service needs to fine tune to equal the original. May have to try their chicken on my next trip.

+1 on Earl Abels!
I had the Antler's CFS recently, far less than impressive.

The steak was beat paper plate thin and double or triple battered, and served in what could best be described as strips.

Overall, very disappointing to half of the plate stacked with breading while try to find the meat.

The Hill Country restaurant up in Johnson City has an ok CFS, the Blue Bonnet in Marble Falls was better.

The search continues.
finally got around to trying Earl Abel's and wondered what all the hype was about..... it was incredibly ordinary and a major disappointment.....