EV charging stations powering up

That makes no sense at all, unless you are attempting to reference self driving vehicles.
That makes no sense at all, unless you are attempting to reference self driving vehicles. Originally Posted by VitaMan
It may not make sense to you because you think EV's are road worthy. They have quite a few design flaws yet to address many are in the safety category.
Ummm?
Ummm? Originally Posted by winn dixie
Ummmm?
It may not make sense to you because you think EV's are road worthy. They have quite a few design flaws yet to address many are in the safety category. Originally Posted by Levianon17
Tesla Model Y Receives Top Safety Pick+ Rating With Nearly Perfect Score. Tesla's Model Y has been recognized as one of the safest cars of 2023 by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), receiving the agency's Top Safety Pick+ rating for the third year.
I have been hearing about the so-called "Hydrogen Economy" since the early 1970s. Buckminster Fuller ws big on that.

Later on in the early Y2K decade, they were high on fuel cell technomogy. Gm was to bring a fuel cell powered car in 2012 . . . but nothing came of that either.

Even more disappointing . . .I have been hearing about fusion power ever since I was a kid in the 1950s, but still nothing.

For $h!T Y'all! We reseasrched, invented, designed, built and dropped the atom bomb in around three years. Originally Posted by ICU 812
Toyota, Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki are all teaming on hydrogen ICE technology. Nothing is perfect and there's issues with all our energy options. Hydrogen's biggest seems to be relative ineffeciency.
The future was to be dome homes. Incredibly energy efficient, cheap to build.
They were doomed because of the transportation cost of the odd shapes.

EVs continue to improve. Biggest drawbacks have been unpredictable ranges, not enough power charging stations, and time to charge up. All improving.

Hard to believe EVs overall, including production and electrical needs, do not pollute less that cars that use fossil fuels. And fossil fuels will run out. Originally Posted by VitaMan
It's hard to believe because you're not recognizing the massive difference pre production. Industry figures show EVs to be almost 70% "dirtier" than ICE vehicles to produce. They catch up with conventional vehicles after somewhere between 60-90,000 miles. And what about the ecological costs of disposing of the batteries? I'm unaware of any method to recycle.
How much lithium and cobalt do you think there is on the globe? If we scale up battery production to levels necessary, I'm betting there's less than 30 years worth. Petroleum will far outlast those minerals as an energy source.
Tesla Model Y Receives Top Safety Pick+ Rating With Nearly Perfect Score. Tesla's Model Y has been recognized as one of the safest cars of 2023 by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), receiving the agency's Top Safety Pick+ rating for the third year. Originally Posted by VitaMan
Good for it. The batteries are not as environmentally friendly as you may think. First of all the average EV Battery weighs about 1000lbs. Secondly you have to dig up 500,000lbs of earth to extract the ore of Nickel,Magnesium,Lithium and Cobalt to make just one EV Battery. Then if these cars catch fire which they have been known to do, these elements put out some highly toxic fumes. As far as the data from the INHS there isn't enough of these vehicles out there yet to to receive a perfect safety score so I question the accuracy of that claim. In theory these EV's might be great in practice that's a different story.
It's hard to believe because you're not recognizing the massive difference pre production. Industry figures show EVs to be almost 70% "dirtier" than ICE vehicles to produce. They catch up with conventional vehicles after somewhere between 60-90,000 miles. And what about the ecological costs of disposing of the batteries? I'm unaware of any method to recycle.
How much lithium and cobalt do you think there is on the globe? If we scale up battery production to levels necessary, I'm betting there's less than 30 years worth. Petroleum will far outlast those minerals as an energy source. Originally Posted by Ducbutter

exactly and after 60-90k miles the extremely expensive battery pack will need to be replaced. with the same massive use of raw materials to make a new battery pack.

at the end of the day there is no savings at all from an ecological point of view for ev vehicles vs internal combustion vehicles. you can make the case that drilling for oil and refining it is more ecologically friendly than ev cars.
Good for it. The batteries are not as environmentally friendly as you may think. First of all the average EV Battery weighs about 1000lbs. Secondly you have to dig up 500,000lbs of earth to extract the ore of Nickel,Magnesium,Lithium and Cobalt to make just one EV Battery. Then if these cars catch fire which they have been known to do, these elements put out some highly toxic fumes. As far as the data from the INHS there isn't enough of these vehicles out there yet to to receive a perfect safety score so I question the accuracy of that claim. In theory these EV's might be great in practice that's a different story. Originally Posted by Levianon17

Always shifting and trying to come up with the negatives. If I pick between you and the IIHS, I will take the IIHS.
Always shifting and trying to come up with the negatives. If I pick between you and the IIHS, I will take the IIHS. Originally Posted by VitaMan
Right now only 1% of vehicles on the road are EV's. When 30 or 40% of the vehicles on the road are EV's let's see what their safety statistics are then.
A very Trumpesque response after you have been soundly defeated.
A very Trumpesque response after you have been soundly defeated. Originally Posted by VitaMan
I am not the one defeated. I still have a gas powered car my make and model doesn't have a history of catching fire just sitting in a drive way.
The Ford Pinto does have a history of catching fire. That was a gas powered car.
The Ford Pinto does have a history of catching fire. That was a gas powered car. Originally Posted by VitaMan

it had a history of catching on fire due to the gas tank and a rear end collision. not the same as EV battery packs overheating and catching fire during charging.