NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Tom "Shady" gets 4 games and the Patriots are fined $1million. They also lose a 1st round pick in 2016 and a 4th round pick in 2017

Fucking Cheatriots
About what I expected.
JD Swearinger posted this morning that he is no longer with Texans. If true then 2013 was a typical Rick Smith train wreck. Only Hopkins from the first round is left I think, just like every draft since 2008. Originally Posted by BigLouie
And now for the back story:

Word of the Texans' possible unhappiness with D.J. Swearinger first went public a couple of weeks ago. Earlier today, the team, presumably unable to find another team willing to surrender an asset for the 2013 second round pick, released Swearinger. In the post reporting the move, Brett mentioned "... rumors that Swearinger walked out of special teams meetings last season because he felt that his status as a second round pick precluded him from playing on the special teams unit." The following tweet from KPRC's James Starks lends credence to that rumor.

Assuming the veracity of that report, that's not a good look for Swearinger. Second round pick or not, starter or not, refusing to participate in any segment of the team's plans does not strike me as a sound strategy if one wishes to remain employed in a Bill O'Brien regime. Frankly, it's probably not a smart tactic anywhere in the NFL unless you are in truly rarefied air. What say you?

http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/5/...d-j-swearinger

If true, way to go BoB!
And now for the back story:

Word of the Texans' possible unhappiness with D.J. Swearinger first went public a couple of weeks ago. Earlier today, the team, presumably unable to find another team willing to surrender an asset for the 2013 second round pick, released Swearinger. In the post reporting the move, Brett mentioned "... rumors that Swearinger walked out of special teams meetings last season because he felt that his status as a second round pick precluded him from playing on the special teams unit." The following tweet from KPRC's James Starks lends credence to that rumor.

Assuming the veracity of that report, that's not a good look for Swearinger. Second round pick or not, starter or not, refusing to participate in any segment of the team's plans does not strike me as a sound strategy if one wishes to remain employed in a Bill O'Brien regime. Frankly, it's probably not a smart tactic anywhere in the NFL unless you are in truly rarefied air. What say you?

http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/5/...d-j-swearinger

If true, way to go BoB! Originally Posted by bigtex
Damn, and I thought it was cuz his dog bit Clowney.

Seriously,

These guys that think they are above special teams piss me off. How many guys would give up damn near everything just to run down an NFL field on a kickoff? I know I would have back in the day.

I liked the swagger, no pun intended, that Swearinger gave the defense or at least the appearance of it but that's no way to act in the locker room. If that's truly what he did then he took away from team chemistry so I say good riddance and good on BoB for building a team the rest of the guys can be proud of.
The Texans would never draft Collins and that is because of McNair. Casserly once told a story about one of the early drafts of the team. McNair nit picked each player they had on their draft board until there was no one left on the board. That should tell you all you need to know about how little McNair knows about football and how he influences who the team picks.

Now as for the current team. I think Bill O'Brien (BoB) is the best football hire McNair has made to date. I think the decision on the draft is fully his right now. Rick may have some input but I feel the scouting reports go to BoB and he makes the decision. Our draft this year was lots better than in years past. I think the middle rounds stick unlike the 5-6 year stretch under Rick where no one past the first round lasted with the team.
I do think the players play harder and smarter under Bob.

As for this year I suspect the passing on a QB last year until Tom Savage will come back to haunt this team. We are now in a division with 3, 4 if you count Zack with the Titans, promising young QBs with a lot of ability. Sure our defense is above average but don't give me that "defense wins championships", BALANCED teams win championships and right now our offense is way behind. If it can't stay on the field the defense will wear down. As I mentioned before I have heard on a couple of radio stations and read on a couple of web pages that the team is iffy on Matt. Not because of his ability but because of his attitude and personality. They feel he is a little too Malibu's Most Wanted for them. If Hoyer wins the starting job this team is in trouble. The league figured him out as the year went on last year and by the end he could not beat out Johnny Manziel. That is not a good sign. That Tom Savage is not even mentioned seems to indicate he is a blown pick but what do you expect from a player that went 1,000 days without playing football before his final year.

As for the rest of the division I feel that the Colts are loading up for a run at the Super Bowl, they will have a great offense and a good enough defense and will win the division.

Jacksonville is my real concern, a little less so as their #1 pick tore his ACL on the first play of the first rookie practice. They have had 3 really good drafts in a row. If Bortles can put together what he learned last year and improve this year the team will be hard to beat. I see Jacksonville as one of those teams that flip from a 2-3 win team to a 9-10 win team.

The Titans have some work to do but they do have a very good QB. They may have 2 good young QBs. Still have work to do in a lot of spots but they could prove difficult.

As for the Texans, last year it was 9-7 but this year could easily be 10-6 which would not surprise me at all or we could drop to 8-8 which also would not surprise me. Some thing in the range from 8-8 to 10-6 is what I expect. This all hings on the QB play. It has to be Ryan and he has to play as he did in the Cleveland game last year. If he does we could be a power, if not, then it is 8-8 and a long hard look at drafting an QB next year. Originally Posted by BigLouie

Hoyer is the safe pick. Less potential for major fuck ups but less potential for big plays. He doesn't have the talent that Mallett has. Question is which way does BoB want to play it. Is he going safe and count on defense or does he want to move the ball. My guess is he plans on moving the ball. One thing you can count on is that you can't count on anything press related coming out of Kirby being real.

From what I've heard the guys like Mallett. I haven't heard the Prima Donna attitude you keep referencing. Maybe he's a little cocky. I don't have a problem with that. QBs need to be a little cocky. As long as it isn't pissing off the locker room and they see him as a leader, which it sounds like they do, then he'll be OK. He can't help but be better than Fitz and Keenum.

For the record, if you go back to this time last year. I predicted this would happen with Mallett. Wasn't thrilled with it and I think I even said it was worst case scenario that he would play a couple games at the end of the year, just enough to make us think he was the real deal and we wouldn't pursue other QB options. That said, the Cleveland game showed that he understood the offense and the tempo with which BoB wants it run. Smart as he is, Fitz just couldn't get that tempo thing. Too much thinking and not enough playing. I'll take last years 9-7 and Mallett as our starter this year over another tank job and having Mariota as our new QB. We never would have taken Winston.

The Colts to me are like a F16 with no electronics. Lots of nice shiney buttons, cool stuff hanging off the wings and shit. Balance? The Patriots were balanced. Look what they did to the Colts. They didn't do a whole lot to improve their defense. Sure they made some defensive picks this draft but they burned their first round pick on a player they didn't need instead of picking up a stud that would strengthen their defense significantly. There is still speculation that they took Dorsett to keep us from getting him. If that true it's a weak move. I see us matching up favorably with the Colts especially if Clowney gets back healthy and more especially our offense against their defense.

Tennessee should be a couple years away from contending even with Mariota starting. They have some potential but are seriously several pieces away from being good.

I expect the Jags will remain about the same as they were last year. No way they contend in this division. Bortles is not, nor will he ever be, a superstar QB. I'd rather have Mallett than Bortles.

I guess we'll get a good look at just how good your boy Garappolo is, won't we?
Brady hopefully gets one game knocked off in appeal. That gives him one warm up game before facing the Colts on Sunday night prime time. I look for him to come out with a vengeance and play that way the rest of the year.
I'll say it again and stand by it.....Mariota and Winston will be decent BUT not next-level transcendent QB's......both Tampa Bay and Tennessee took 'em because they were desperate to fill that position and couldn't risk passing on them. But neither are the talent Peyton, Elway or Luck were coming out of college and that's why I feel both were 1-2 "reaches".

I think DT / DE Leonard Williams will be a star.....and the fact he 'fell" to the Jets at 6 still amazes me....surprised the Skins passed on him and went O-line. New head coach Todd Bowles has got to feel like a pig in slop.....he's gonna turn that kid into a star while both of the aforementioned QB's will languish in mediocrity.

By the way, I think WR Jaelen Strong was a huge value pick for the Texans.....maybe one of the top 5 steals of this draft by the time it's all said and done.

I'll take last years 9-7 and Mallett as our starter this year over another tank job and having Mariota as our new QB. We never would have taken Winston. Originally Posted by boardman
I figure they took Collins as trade bait.
The risk is low and the cost is negligible. The payoff could be significant. At worst, provided he is innocent, they get a mid round pick for him maybe more. Originally Posted by boardman
Jerry wants to keep him. Someone is going to have to fight to keep the starting job.

Collins is lots better than the two guys in front of him for the spot on the line. He is not going anywhere. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Leary, left guard, has a chronic knee issue and Free, right tackle, is getting old.

Jerry wants to win. McNuttless just wants to make a profit and be mediocre. Collins would have been a good addition to the sorry Texan OL. Originally Posted by Daddio
Everyone talks about how much Jerry wants to win, if that was true why did it take 16 years before they started drafting semi smart? Make no mistake, Jerry is about the money and the show. Winning is down the list.

I was hoping that the Texans would take Collins with their final pick in the 7th round. There would have been not much to lose and everything to gain.

With that said, if the Texans were guilty of over thinking this, they sure as hell had plenty of company. Originally Posted by bigtex
Collins' agent announced if Collins was picked lower than third round he would not sign.

Tom "Shady" gets 4 games and the Patriots are fined $1million. They also lose a 1st round pick in 2016 and a 4th round pick in 2017

Fucking Cheatriots Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Brady gets more than a wife beater, Rice? Two draft picks? The Wells' report all but said the organization did not know about the deflating. Goodell is grasping at straws.

From what I've heard the guys like Mallett. I haven't heard the Prima Donna attitude you keep referencing. Maybe he's a little cocky. Originally Posted by boardman

I guess you never saw the movie. Malibu's Most Wanted is about a well off white kid from Malibu who goes around acting black, gold chains and all. A lot of time the guys on 610 are just shrills for the Texans and one day all they talked about was how the organization had no problem with the effort that Mallet was putting into the position, how he was preparing himself. On the football side they had no problem. What they had an issue with was they did not like that he was acting too black for them. And here I suspect it's Bob McNair saying something. If he is getting the job done and putting in the work who the hell cares if he is acting as if he is straight out of Compton.

As for the Cowboys they got better at drafting when Jerry's son took over. If it was up to Jerry they would have drafted Manziel not because he was a good player but because it would have made the Cowboys "relevant" for 10 years. WTF! Luckly for the Cowboys his son took the card out of his hands before he could turn it in.
Jerry stated he tried to pull the trigger on Johnny Football. Will McCley is the one influencing the draft.
Make no mistake, Jerry wants to win, Jerry likes Dinero, Jerry likes the spotlight, Jerry likes Snatch,Jerry likes Gloryhole, Jerry was smart enough to put his son more in charge of drafting.

McNuttless likes to play it safe and keep raising the ticket prices, McNuttless likes Rick Smith, McNuttless likes his son McNuttless Jr to play it safe too.

Now on to DJ Sweringer, Fuck him, he sucked and always had the me before the team attitude. He would actually make a play then get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty acting like a fool because he made a play. Countlees times last year and the year before he was running 5 yards behind the Reciever that just toasted him. If he walked out of the meeting for not wanting to play special teams, B'OB should have kicked his ass, then waived his sorry ass!! This should have never been leaked from within the organization however. Rick Smith should have traded him and the leak of what happened prevented this. Another costly situation where we get nothing from a previous 2nd round draft pick. How in the fuck did Rick Smith not know what a troubled, selfish, slow mfing guy he was!!!!
I guess you never saw the movie. Malibu's Most Wanted is about a well off white kid from Malibu who goes around acting black, gold chains and all. A lot of time the guys on 610 are just shrills for the Texans and one day all they talked about was how the organization had no problem with the effort that Mallet was putting into the position, how he was preparing himself. On the football side they had no problem. What they had an issue with was they did not like that he was acting too black for them. And here I suspect it's Bob McNair saying something. If he is getting the job done and putting in the work who the hell cares if he is acting as if he is straight out of Compton.
Originally Posted by BigLouie
Nope,
Never saw the movie and I guess I don't understand your point of even bringing it up. If he's gets the job done and is a leader in the locker room who gives a shit how black he thinks he is?
Make no mistake, Jerry wants to win, Jerry likes Dinero, Jerry likes the spotlight, Jerry likes Snatch,Jerry likes Gloryhole, Jerry was smart enough to put his son more in charge of drafting. Originally Posted by Daddio
Stephen is starting to take over due to Jerry and dementia.
Collins' agent announced if Collins was picked lower than third round he would not sign.

Originally Posted by pyramider
Key words, "agent announced." Yes the "agent did say that at the time.

The "agent" is paid to get the best deal possible for the player. And he will say or do anything to make that happen.

Bottom line: Once the selection is made, the player has limited options going forward. He has many more options if the player goes undrafted.

Hey, it worked out for him. More power to him!
regarding Swearinger. Fuck head could absolutely not wrap up. Trying to knock down guys who are bigger and tougher than you won't work in the NFL. Besides, he had no closing speed.
So now we know an owner with dementia is better than an owner with No Sack!!!!

Cra Cra Jerry > McNuttless!!!!

Cra Cra Jerry will sign a thug or 2!!!! Dez, Hardy, Collins, all of who could start on the Texans.

McNuttless is content playing tittlywinks in a pussy ass winnable division!!! This is FOOTBALL not fucking Hopscotch McNuttless!!!!

Hopefully B'OB's pair won't shrivel under the panzy ass ownership of McNuttless and McNuttless Jr. Basically B'OB said a big FUCK YOU to Rick Smith by getting rid of Swearinger. You draft em, I cut em!!! Can't believe we couldn't get a used bag of jock straps for Swearinger like we did for Dopey. The Dopey 6th round bag of dirty jock straps pick turned into Alfred Blue. Best Trade EVER!!!