Sign the petition here: Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Please oh please oh please oh please!
True the southern states seceded from the union for
fear of Lincoln abolishing slavery, but the war started
because of the south seceding, Lincoln would probably
not have abolished slavery to stay out of war and
preserve the union.

Something else that's overlooked, both sides thought
they would win the war in a matter of days.
And you STILL haven't answered my question about regions of Texas seceding from Texas.

And you have ignored the part about Nevada breaking off from the Utah Territory. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Read the Constitution regarding forming "states" out of "territories". There is no provision for forming "states" out of "states" without the consent of the states involved.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress. Article Four Section Three of the United States Constitution
True the southern states seceded from the union for
fear of Lincoln abolishing slavery, but the war started
because of the south seceding, Lincoln would probably
not have abolished slavery to stay out of war and
preserve the union. Originally Posted by bojulay
Oh, so now you're an Abe mind reader!
I'll let Louis CK have the last word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbzfv...eature=related

Skip to the 1:50 mark of the video where Louis (as Abe Lincoln) talks about being tired of pretending that there are two sides to the slavery issue when he talks to slave owners.

Funny and true.
Oh, so now you're an Abe mind reader! Originally Posted by bigtex
The idea is well known. Do a little research instead of
obsessing over COG all the time, and wiping Yssups
Donkey. (ASS)

ha ha ha ha
Read the Constitution regarding forming "states" out of "territories". There is no provision for forming "states" out of "states" without the consent of the states involved.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress. Article Four Section Three of the United States Constitution Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Sounds all well and good while a state is STILL IN THE UNION.

But, what happens when it's not a state? Words have meaning. What happens when Virginia is, or claims to be, part of another country and is therefore no longer a "state"? At that point Virginia is in the same position as Mexico or Canada right?

Or are you saying the Constitution binds only the union in these situations?

Article IV, Section 3 was intended to protect states from encroachment by the federal government while they were still in the union. It wasn't intended to support dissolution of the union.

In fact, the Constitution does not contemplate dissolution of the Union at all. If it did, there would be a specific, explicit provision providing a mechanism by which a state could leave the union.

Go find one. I'll wait.
Well, how about that. I have one simple phrase that should put all of this talk to rest in a hurry.

President Rick Perry!

When you stop laughing just say thanks. Originally Posted by fetishfreak
Ok, ok...give me a couple more minutes....that's some funny stuff

Or what was that other gov's name....Bush??? Maybe on second thought...could we non-Texans vote for your leaving???
The idea is well known. Do a little research instead of
obsessing over COG all the time, and wiping Yssups
Donkey. (ASS)

ha ha ha ha Originally Posted by bojulay
Since you are a mind reader. can you read mine? If not, I will give you a hint! Kiss my
You know, I loved the time I lived in Ft. Worth. Might be time to move back.

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:

Peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government.

The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

Sign the petition here:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/BmdWCP8B Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
joe blows me and whirly don't count.

They're both felons and can't vote.
"Ah SAY suh", I sayed, "I SAY SUH" (in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice) as a native Texan and Southerner, we strongly object to callin' that damn wah the "Civil War"... there was nothing civil about it!

It also was most certainly NOT the "Wah Between Tha States" since not all the states were warrin', only the Northern ones against us Southerners if ah Do say so muhself.

The proper name for that wah fought between 1860 and 1865 is and always will be, "The Wah of Northern Aggression" and you all should refer to it as such from this day forwhard or I shall have to challenge to all to duels at 20 paces!

Texas or all the Southern Stages succeeding - Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

That is the best laugh I've had in days. I'm still wiping tears from my eyes. Can they do it before the Mayan prophecies come true and the world ends - LOL? Stupid is as stupid does and there is no changing stupid. That is the best one I've heard since Romney winning in a landslide. You think we could get Nate Silver to put up the odds on Texas or the South seceding? I'd take odds on that except none of the chicken shits will ever put their money where their mouth is. When IBH shuts them down with facts you know they are on the lunatic fringe (good job BTW IBH, I'm impressed though we are often totally at odds).
Sounds all well and good while a state is STILL IN THE UNION.

But, what happens when it's not a state? Words have meaning. What happens when Virginia is, or claims to be, part of another country and is therefore no longer a "state"? At that point Virginia is in the same position as Mexico or Canada right?

Or are you saying the Constitution binds only the union in these situations?

Article IV, Section 3 was intended to protect states from encroachment by the federal government while they were still in the union. It wasn't intended to support dissolution of the union.

In fact, the Constitution does not contemplate dissolution of the Union at all. If it did, there would be a specific, explicit provision providing a mechanism by which a state could leave the union.

Go find one. I'll wait. Originally Posted by ExNYer
You are correct, that topic is not covered in the Constitution, but it is a right recognized in this nation's other founding document: the Declaration of Independence. Furthermore, this is what the Founding Father and "Father of the Constitution" had to say on the matter:

That this Assembly doth explicitly and peremptorily declare, that it views the powers of the federal government as resulting from the compact to which the states are parties, as limited by the plain sense and intention of the instrument constituting that compact, as no further valid than they are authorized by the grants enumerated in that compact; and that, in case of a deliberate, palpable, and dangerous exercise of other powers, not granted by the said compact, the states, who are parties thereto, have the right, and are in duty bound, to interpose, for arresting the progress of the evil, and for maintaining, within their respective limits, the authorities, rights and liberties, appertaining to them. James Madison, The Viriginia Resolution 1798.

One additional detail you are ignoring ExNYer, according to Lincoln, et al, all of the Southern States WERE STILL IN THE UNION! Lincoln never once recognized the Confederacy as a separate and independent nation. So that shoots your POV all to hell, and it makes Lincoln's actions regarding West Virginia unconstitutional.
OK, I got 1/10 of Romeny's $10K bet, $1k cash to bet and I'll delete my membership for a year against anyone who will match that and bet that Texas or any other state formally tries to secede by the end of 2013 (not citizens groups filing a petition, but the official State government formally trying to secede).

Anyone willing to put their money where their mouth is on that? I can bring and show the cash to a neutral 3rd party any time, anywhere. We will count on the moderators for the account deletion (

This is just the silliest lunatic fringe whinging whining loser crap I've ever heard.
a
Anyone willing to put their money where their mouth is on that? I can bring and show the cash to a neutral 3rd party any time, anywhere. We will count on the moderators for the account deletion Originally Posted by austxjr
You can forget that notion. These idiots talk a good game but there is no way any of them will put their money where their mouth is. They wouldn't for the 2012 election, why would they now? I hope you find one ignorant enough to accept your wager but I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

These guys are all talk but zero action!
Ho Chi Minh killed tens of thousands after the U.S. left Vietnam. TAE, are you a fascist spouting communism or a communist spouting fascism. Either Hitler or Stalin would be very disappointed with you. Originally Posted by I B Hankering

Uh, listen Einstein I don't know how to break this to you but Ho Chi Minh was dead years before the US left Vietnam....

You call me names because you can't win any arguments.

Go back to Kindergarten.