Boys behaving badly... Again

I don't tip business owners and never have.
..... Originally Posted by Arverni
That you know of anyway.
That you know of anyway. Originally Posted by GlobeSpotter
Again ... I've never tipped a business owner - and i don't make statements like that unless I know.

Again ... thanks for your concern!

EDIT: I work part-time in the service industry - and have for most of 30 years now. Federal law specifically states that tips belong to the employee - and not the employer. It is illegal for the owner to "gets the take" - which is what you said in your first post on this.

Beyond that - it CAN be a bit more complicated, which - I'm not sure a legalistic discussion is warranted on that subject in a thread about "bad boys". There are "tipping pools" - where the tips are shared amongst employees. There are "tipping credits" where the employer is allowed to claim some of those tips towards minimum wage. For instance ... bar tenders in NOLA get paid about $2.20 an hour - the rest of their wages are made up in tips. So the employer gets to reduce what he pays the employee on an hourly basis. However, I don't know many bartenders that complain about that - since they make SO MUCH MORE with the tips they make. The employer cannot pay less than the $2.20 per hour - or whatever it is now.

So you can claim (and yes, I know you will) that ... "well see there I told you the employer gets the take!" No - he doesn't, at least not within the context you framed it - of him TAKING the tips (wholesale) for himself. He gets A CREDIT toward minimum wage and that's it.

This is all governed by federal and state labor laws - which employers are not allowed to play "fast and loose" with. Are there BAD employers out there? Sure. I like to think of them as "soon to be bankrupt and jailed" employers though.