Cool places youve been: no restrictions: Hints for travel and places to go when you get there

Put me in the category of people who just don't like Tokyo; have been there quite a few times and it never did it for me. Hong Kong, Sydney, London, Paris fared much better. Originally Posted by discreetgent
As I imply in the quote below

Anyone who wants to make a serious attempt to "see the world" really shouldn't miss Japan, especially Tokyo. You might love it to the point of addiction and it might make your skin crawl, both common reactions, but most experienced travelers consider it unique in many complex and subtle ways. It is BY FAR my favorite place in the world (of which I have seen around 50 countries, 6 continents plus a bunch of islands)... Originally Posted by Wwanderer
Despite the fact that I love the place, I am very aware that a lot of foreign visitors really don't enjoy it. I have seen many examples of this, but I cannot pick out the pattern. In other words, I can't predict in advance who will regard it as wonderful and who, awful. An interesting puzzle...

Anyway, re Hong Kong, Sydney, London and Paris, all of those places have cultures that are far more like each other and like US culture (or NYC culture if you want to stick with cities reather than countries) than they are like Japanese/Tokyo culture. It is just different...and I don't really understand why in any deep sense.

Maybe I will figure it out on this next trip (will be there in less than 2 weeks now!!).

-Ww
In a few days I'm going to EPCOT. Will that give me any bragging rights for world travels?
In a few days I'm going to EPCOT. Will that give me any bragging rights for world travels? Originally Posted by Ansley
Works for me.
In a few days I'm going to EPCOT. Originally Posted by Ansley
Lemme sea, NYC to Orlando, I could almost do that.
Lemme sea, NYC to Orlando, I could almost do that. Originally Posted by SR Only
My Vote is for Rome and Siena. Seeing the Vatican was breath taking. Hiking up to the top of the dome was breath taking on it's own.

I worked for a summer in Homer, Alaska while in school. Beautiful country! Caught a bunch of halibut and salmon. My favorite fishing is Cabo. I like getting on the long range charters out of San Diego. They make their way down to Cabo and back over 10+ days. There's nothing like landing a 250+ pound yellow fin.
In a few days I'm going to EPCOT. Will that give me any bragging rights for world travels? Originally Posted by Ansley
Only if you get on the ever entertaining little ride where you go around and around with small dolls singing "its a small world after all...its a small world after all....."
Only if you get on the ever entertaining little ride where you go around and around with small dolls singing "its a small world after all...its a small world after all....." Originally Posted by Sydneyb
Umm, don't you have some country you could go to and take a hike?
Only if you get on the ever entertaining little ride where you go around and around with small dolls singing "its a small world after all...its a small world after all....." Originally Posted by Sydneyb
That's at the Magic Kingdom not EPCOT.
That's at the Magic Kingdom not EPCOT. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Sorry PJ, that was the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. I was taken to it as a "widdle" kid. I still can't get rid of that tune 45 years later.
Sorry PJ, that was the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. I was taken to it as a "widdle" kid. I still can't get rid of that tune 45 years later. Originally Posted by SR Only
I know what you mean. My family spent a week at Disney World. Because we stayed in a hotel inside the park, there was no getting away from the song.

Listen at your own risk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ETq3ZlmslE
Young lady! That is no way to treat this list by subjecting us to that.

BTW, how's it going in Orlando (apparently I didn't make it there).
Oh, I don't leave until tomorrow.
I'm going to have them crank up that song for you. :evilgrin:
Sorry PJ, that was the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. I was taken to it as a "widdle" kid. I still can't get rid of that tune 45 years later. Originally Posted by SR Only
Well it may have been there then, but its at the Magic Kingdom now:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...a-small-world/

I know, I got to sit through it 10x in one day when one of mine was young. You think you cant get rid of it?