What a bitch...

It's true, and off the point, that we reward entertainers, including athletes, at a very high rate. The reason for that is people buy tickets to see them. But to say a person shouldn't use his natural talent to better himself is ridiculous. Some people are good at math, some speak well, some are capable of more complex thought.

But to say this ballplayer was simply "lucky" (or any successful entertainer, scientist, businessman, etc.) is also ridiculous. It ignores the many long hours of very difficult work that anyone has to do in order to be successful, even when they have a natural talent. That guy wouldn't have even been on the field had he not worked his ass off to improve himself.

One of the liberal lies is that people are only successful if they are lucky. Bullshit. In certain circumstances, like being born to Henry Ford, JD Rockefeller, etc. then maybe, yes. But most of the very successful people got there by working hard and taking chances others were unwilling to take.

Now, do we pay our entertainers too much? That's another thread.
Yeah working hard and excelling has nothing to do with success.
Just take a look at government employees.
  • WTF
  • 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
It's true, and off the point, that we reward entertainers, including athletes, at a very high rate. The reason for that is people buy tickets to see them. But to say a person shouldn't use his natural talent to better himself is ridiculous. Some people are good at math, some speak well, some are capable of orn to Henry Ford, JD Rockefeller, etc. then maybe, yes. But most of the very successful people got there by working hard and taking chances others were unwilling to take.

Now, do we pay our entertainers too much? That's another thread. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
our ballplayers would not make nesr yhe money they make if we did not subsidies stadiums. I do agree that it takes many hours of practice to hone ones talent. Malcomb Gladwell wrote a great book on the subjrct of luck and hatd work. You need both
I agree. Taxpayers should not have to subsidize stadiums.
Government should be out of all subsidies not just to stadiums but to the welfare queens too.
Stealing a keepsake from a child becomes a political pissing contest.

What a world.
  • Doove
  • 05-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Government should be out of all subsidies not just to stadiums but to the welfare queens too. Originally Posted by The2Dogs
What about your kids' public schooling? And your mother's social security, that she fully relies on?

Not so much?

By the way, does your mother realize you think she's a loser?
Would not bother me a bit, with the extra money I would get from not paying SS and the taxes I would save of the school taxes, I could easily support my mother in her remaining years. In addition I could find private education that would be much less expensive than what they are charging now because of the ability of having a greater number of students thus reducing the cost per child.

It is not the governments responsibility to take care of my family.
The government is not the solution.
  • WTF
  • 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Stealing a keepsake from a child becomes a political pissing contest.

What a world. Originally Posted by LexusLover
LOL

I have come to believe that everything is political. I can't scratch my left nut without the right nut bitching I'm a liberal!
  • Doove
  • 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Would not bother me a bit, with the extra money I would get from not paying SS and the taxes I would save of the school taxes, I could easily support my mother in her remaining years. Originally Posted by The2Dogs
Oh? Including her health insurance and hospital bills?

And without Social Security, could your mother support herself? That's the question.

In addition I could find private education that would be much less expensive than what they are charging now because of the ability of having a greater number of students thus reducing the cost per child.
Oops, almost forgot - we need to add back in your private education you'd be paying for. So i'll ask again, could you pay for the private education for your kids, and support your mother, including her health insurance and hospital bills?

It is not the governments responsibility to take care of my family.
The government is not the solution.
And let's suppose your parents are divorced, you could financially support both your mother and your father with each living in separate households? And their health care? Or pay for both of them to be in a nursing home if necessary? And what about your aunts and uncles. If nobody was around to support them, could you support them too? And your brothers and sisters who might be on in years?

They are all part of your family, after all.
  • WTF
  • 05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I am no longer for SS in its present form because the Defense Department will just raid its surplus and laeve an IOU and then work up a bunch of Tea sippers into believing that it is SS fault for letting them do so. I am now on the record for private accounts. That is the only way to get the American public to understand how much Defense is costing.If they then want to increase their own taxes to pay for Defense, then that is the right way. Not to continue to rob the SS trust fund and pit the people that can do math vs the people that can only make Tea aganist each other.
Doofus, how about I ask you about your wealth or lack there of?
The fact of the matter is that I really do not care about your achievements or lack of achievements. What my capabilities are is really none of your business.
The answers are not your concern and not the concern of the government.
I suppose you would never understand the how I could do all of that regardless of my personal wealth. there are things that you will never understand because of your beliefs or lack of beliefs. I personally would hate to have to rely on this government for the well being of myself and my family.
  • Doove
  • 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I personally would hate to have to rely on this government for the well being of myself and my family. Originally Posted by The2Dogs
But you do. Your posts have proven it.

As the old saying goes, "You don't know what you've got....".
Pay no attention to Doofe. He loves Obama and wants the government to do everything for him.

I understand and have no problem with the government providing help for the helpless like Doofus. I am sure he did not choose to have severe mental deficiency and when you have nobody that cares enough about you to offer assistance then I suppose the government should help one like him.
I have an anecdotal story about a friend and their retarded son and how they are preparing for his care after they are gone. I am sure he will have to rely on some assistance but at least will not be a ward of the State. It is a shame that more people do not take responsibility for themselves and theri family.