The Real Truth About Masks

Fuck a mask. I think I am just going to start wearing a hazmat suit. I'll just run around and scare the shit out of people for my own fucked up entertainment.

You are all citing obscure studies by borderline quack group saying masks are not effective. Blah blah blah. As president, Trump should be following the recommendation of 1 and only 1 group. The US Center for Disease Control. But he isn't and never has. He chose instead to turn the choice of wearing of masks or not into a political statement. His entire mismanagement of this pandemic has been one of the greatest failures of his presidency.
Originally Posted by Jam3768
+1000

Trumps greatest failure for sure.
In a LONG line of failures.

He is without a doubt the WOAT.
CDC guidelines say wearing a mask during prolonged exposure to coronavirus won't prevent possible infection

Guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention state that those who come in close contact with someone with the coronavirus for more than 15 minutes could spread the virus regardless of whether either party wears a mask.

“Wondering what @cdcgov really thinks about masks? Their guidance on quarantining after exposure to someone with #covid explicitly states whether the infected OR exposed person wore masks doesn’t matter,” former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson tweeted Sunday...

...The CDC states on its Public Health Guidance for Community-Related Exposure page that those who come in close contact with people showing COVID-19 symptoms or someone who has tested positive for the virus can spread the infection whether or not they are wearing masks.

CDC states that "data to inform the definition of close contact are limited." Factors "to consider" when defining close contact are duration of exposure, proximity to an infected person, and whether or not that person is presenting symptoms. Data for what a prolonged exposure is are iffy; however, longer than 15 minutes can be considered an operational definition, according to the CDC.

“This is irrespective of whether the person with COVID-19 or the contact was wearing a mask or whether the contact was wearing respiratory personal protective equipment (PPE),” the CDC states....

CDC Study Finds Overwhelming Majority Of People Getting Coronavirus Wore Masks

A Centers for Disease Control report released in September shows that masks and face coverings are not effective in preventing the spread of COVID-19, even for those people who consistently wear them.

A study conducted in the United States in July found that when they compared 154 “case-patients,” who tested positive for COVID-19, to a control group of 160 participants from health care facilities who were symptomatic but tested negative, over 70 percent of the case-patients were contaminated with the virus and fell ill despite “always” wearing a mask.

“In the 14 days before illness onset, 71% of case-patients and 74% of control participants reported always using cloth face coverings or other mask types when in public,” the report stated.

In addition, over 14 percent of the case-patients said they “often” wore a face covering and were still infected with the virus. The study also demonstrates that under 4 percent of the case-patients became sick with the virus even though they “never” wore a mask or face covering.

Despite over 70 percent of the case-patient participants’ efforts to follow CDC recommendations by committing to always wearing face coverings at “gatherings with ≤10 or >10 persons in a home; shopping; dining at a restaurant; going to an office setting, salon, gym, bar/coffee shop, or church/religious gathering; or using public transportation,” they still contracted the virus...

The goopy details from the CDC:

Community and Close Contact Exposures Associated with COVID-19 Among Symptomatic Adults ≥18 Years in 11 Outpatient Health Care Facilities — United States, July 2020

Diaper-UP yo face foo!
See reply to Winn Dixie above. If you believe what they come up with in the paper, you'd think an N95 mask is more effective than eye protection, but the eye protection is more effective than a cloth mask. That's if you're the one wearing the mask or eye protection.

Obviously, if you're wearing goggles, it doesn't protect other people if you're infected. And you'd suspect face shields might not protect others as well as masks, but who knows. Anyway, the best solution is to wear an N95 or KN95 mask IMO. Or better yet the N95 mask with eye protection, which I've done when flying.

Thanks for the info about wearing glasses and a mask. That's what I thought. I've Googled around trying to find something on that but never found anything. Originally Posted by Tiny

your welcome
CDC guidelines say wearing a mask during prolonged exposure to coronavirus won't prevent possible infection

Guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention state that those who come in close contact with someone with the coronavirus for more than 15 minutes could spread the virus regardless of whether either party wears a mask.

“Wondering what @cdcgov really thinks about masks? Their guidance on quarantining after exposure to someone with #covid explicitly states whether the infected OR exposed person wore masks doesn’t matter,” former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson tweeted Sunday...

...The CDC states on its Public Health Guidance for Community-Related Exposure page that those who come in close contact with people showing COVID-19 symptoms or someone who has tested positive for the virus can spread the infection whether or not they are wearing masks.

CDC states that "data to inform the definition of close contact are limited." Factors "to consider" when defining close contact are duration of exposure, proximity to an infected person, and whether or not that person is presenting symptoms. Data for what a prolonged exposure is are iffy; however, longer than 15 minutes can be considered an operational definition, according to the CDC.

“This is irrespective of whether the person with COVID-19 or the contact was wearing a mask or whether the contact was wearing respiratory personal protective equipment (PPE),” the CDC states....

A Centers for Disease Control report released in September shows that masks and face coverings are not effective in preventing the spread of COVID-19, even for those people who consistently wear them.

A study conducted in the United States in July found that when they compared 154 “case-patients,” who tested positive for COVID-19, to a control group of 160 participants from health care facilities who were symptomatic but tested negative, over 70 percent of the case-patients were contaminated with the virus and fell ill despite “always” wearing a mask.

“In the 14 days before illness onset, 71% of case-patients and 74% of control participants reported always using cloth face coverings or other mask types when in public,” the report stated.

In addition, over 14 percent of the case-patients said they “often” wore a face covering and were still infected with the virus. The study also demonstrates that under 4 percent of the case-patients became sick with the virus even though they “never” wore a mask or face covering.

Despite over 70 percent of the case-patient participants’ efforts to follow CDC recommendations by committing to always wearing face coverings at “gatherings with ≤10 or >10 persons in a home; shopping; dining at a restaurant; going to an office setting, salon, gym, bar/coffee shop, or church/religious gathering; or using public transportation,” they still contracted the virus...

Community and Close Contact Exposures Associated with COVID-19 Among Symptomatic Adults ≥18 Years in 11 Outpatient Health Care Facilities — United States, July 2020

Diaper-UP yo face foo! Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do

face diapers? lol
Here in N. Houston everyone's wearing a mask in public. My son has to wear one all day except when activily eating. Bus stop, school, exercises, walking halls, riding bus, etc.

Yet the COVID Cases keep rising. Death rates keep falling here in Harris County.

It's Linus' blanket.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83
How's that hospital parking lot? Still empty?
Winn Dixie has presented us with another reason to wear masks. They're like cloth handkerchiefs were in the old days. When a woman needed to wipe away a tear or a ball of snot, the chivalrous gentleman would pull out his handkerchief and offer it to her. The modern day equivalent is the mask. What woman wants to walk around all day with cum smeared on her face, or worse yet wipe it off with her hand?

Be prepared. Wear a mask. Originally Posted by Tiny

And not just any mask please. The paper masks from Sam's are much more durable so, it may be used more than once for those that prefer MSOG

During Quarantine (I can laugh about this now) I was jogging outside and paranoid about "not touching my eyes". It was windy and a fucking bug with a hard ass shell (I swear it was wearing a helmet) flew into my left eye. Paranoid to touch my damn eye AND mouth, I ended up crunching that gawd awful thing when I rubbed my eyeball mixed with spit; ruining my contact in the process. In pain (and standing there looking stupid because I'm now doing everything I'm not supposed to) and now blind, I power walk my ass back home with one good eye. Wish I had a mask "then"... Ahhh yes; good times, good times

Happy Hobbying!
Funny story, Alyssa.

BTW - What is an NBA REPUBLICAN?
Funny story, Alyssa.

BTW - What is an NBA REPUBLICAN? Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

No Birds Allowed?
  • Tiny
  • 11-23-2020, 01:25 PM

Diaper-UP yo face foo! Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do
I haven't had time to study this, but the conclusions from your main stream media sources look like garbage to me. The researchers took about 300 people who showed up at an outpatient facility reporting symptoms of Covid. About half of them tested positive for Covid and the other half tested negative.

What they concluded, those who tested positive were twice as likely to have dined out at a restaurant as those who tested negative. Obviously those people who tested positive and ate out were not wearing masks when they were eating. The researchers made no conclusions with respect to masks. What they did say --

What are the implications for public health practice?

Eating and drinking on-site at locations that offer such options might be important risk factors associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Efforts to reduce possible exposures where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, such as when eating and drinking, should be considered to protect customers, employees, and communities.

Yes, the people who tested positive were only slightly less likely to report using masks all the time than those who tested negative.

All the people in the study knew their test results before they told the researchers whether they wore masks.

What you fail to appreciate is that the people who tested positive were more prone to lie to the researchers or delude themselves about how often they wore masks. I see this in a buddy who contracted Covid who claims he was very careful about wearing masks and avoiding exposure, and it's bull shit because he was walking around without one all the time.

And the people who exhibited symptoms but tested negative are hypochondriacs like me. We actually do wear masks and go to the doctor to get tested for Covid every time we have a sniffle. We're more likely to wear something like an N95 or KN95 mask than a one layer cloth mask.

Maybe this is easier to understand. Two people go into the doctor and both think they've got the clap. One tests positive and one tests negative. Both of them tell the public health official afterwards they always wear condoms. Which one are you more likely to believe?

You don't have a huge sample here, about 300 people.

Furthermore, as you know, if you're wearing a one layer cloth mask, you're providing more protection to the people around you than you are to yourself. This study shows nothing about the propensity of people to spread the disease, only about their likelihood of getting it. If you want to protect yourself, get masks that will do that -- see some of the posts higher in this thread.

Thank you but I'll stick with the preponderance of the data from many other studies and the advice of most experts in the field and continue to wear a mask, even if I am running the risk of asphyxiation.

Yes, masks are only part of what we should be doing to protect ourselves.
And not just any mask please. The paper masks from Sam's are much more durable so, it may be used more than once for those that prefer MSOG

During Quarantine (I can laugh about this now) I was jogging outside and paranoid about "not touching my eyes". It was windy and a fucking bug with a hard ass shell (I swear it was wearing a helmet) flew into my left eye. Paranoid to touch my damn eye AND mouth, I ended up crunching that gawd awful thing when I rubbed my eyeball mixed with spit; ruining my contact in the process. In pain (and standing there looking stupid because I'm now doing everything I'm not supposed to) and now blind, I power walk my ass back home with one good eye. Wish I had a mask "then"... Ahhh yes; good times, good times

Happy Hobbying! Originally Posted by Alyssa XOXO
I would offer to run along beside you and keep the bugs out of your eyes babe, but I probably can't keep up with you.
I've stayed ou of the fray post election, but will chime in to agree with Tiny here and add a thing or two. The common cloth or surgical mask MAY give YOU a degree of protection, but DOES give OTHERS a HIGH degree of protection from YOU. N95 class masks do both. It's a question of risk tolerance and sense of responsibility to others. Eat at a restaurant where only servers are masked puts all at SOME risk, so again, a risk tolerance issue, although social distancing and appropriate ventilation can mitigate. I will eat out (not in the hobby sense, LOL), but please don't visit my table unless invited. But, I will not be going to any large venues masked or not because of those that don't respect my desire to play it safe.

There are at least two vaccines releasing soon that perform WAY BETTER than ever hoped. The Pfizer technology has real promise for other uses, but has storage temperature issues. The smart move is to be cautious until which time you can be vaccinated at which point it currently looks like you are protected AND protective to others.
Good luck getting your hands on an N95 mask. Rarely see them in public. In fact, they were supposed to be reserved for first responders.