Self Defense or Murder

There was a legal reason....but Rittenhouse said something to the effect of how he'd shoot shoplifters. Originally Posted by WTF
I don’t see what the judge said about it but it looks like they couldn’t verify that it was Rittenhouse in the recording.
  • WTF
  • 12-09-2021, 06:47 AM
was it reasonable fear? if I recall correctly, the man was not cornered, he was off the porch and in the yard

and in the frames you posted, did it show the big guy coming toward the man with the rifle?

I don't recall that, In fact it didn't show the big man at all when the shots were fired Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Each version of reasonable could be different.

All this is reasonable in my mind.

Picking up your child. Being pissed off if your ex does not have them ready on a steady basis. Telling her new boyfriend to mind his own fucking business. The little new boyfriend being worried about looking bad and getting his ass whipped by a much larger ex husband. Going to get a gun to make sure his ass whipping does not happen. The ex husband grabbing the barrel of the gun to keep from having it pointed at him. I suppose it reasonable to fire at the ex's feet. Is it reasonable to shoot after there was distancing established?

That might be where the little new boyfriend has questions to answer. Maybe Texas law is such that it is reasonable to shot after that has been established. I doubt it....but the question may come back to fear.

If someone pulls a gun on me, is me trying to disarm them justified?. Does my fear of being killed and trying to disarm them...then justify them killing me? Originally Posted by WTF
12 jurors will decide

early one morning about 5 a.m. I was in a mcdonald's drive thru

waiting for a senior coffee and sausage biscuit with four packs of black pepper, yeah that's me

and a white truck went screaming thru the shopping center parking lot behind me

then about two minutes later two black guys in a car came slowly driving around the McDonald's and pulled up right beside me as I waited in the drive thru in my white truck

the driver raised a handgun at me and all I had was a twenty two up behind me on a gun rack

luckily the passenger had stared at me and we looked at each other face to face a moment before and he saw I wasn't whoever they were looking for and put a hand on the driver's arm to lower the gun pointed at me

could I have retrieved my rifle and shot them both?
Each version of reasonable could be different.

All this is reasonable in my mind.

Picking up your child. Being pissed off if your ex does not have them ready on a steady basis. Telling her new boyfriend to mind his own fucking business. The little new boyfriend being worried about looking bad and getting his ass whipped by a much larger ex husband. Going to get a gun to make sure his ass whipping does not happen. The ex husband grabbing the barrel of the gun to keep from having it pointed at him. I suppose it reasonable to fire at the ex's feet. Is it reasonable to shoot after there was distancing established?

That might be where the little new boyfriend has questions to answer. Originally Posted by WTF
I agree
  • WTF
  • 12-09-2021, 06:55 AM
12 jurors will decide

early one morning about 5 a.m. I was in a mcdonald's drive thru

waiting for a senior coffee and sausage biscuit with four packs of black pepper, yeah that's me

and a white truck went screaming thru the shopping center parking lot behind me

then about two minutes later two black guys in a car came slowly driving around the McDonald's and pulled up right beside me as I waited in the drive thru in my white truck

the driver raised a handgun at me and all I had was a twenty two up behind me on a gun rack

luckily the passenger had stared at me and we looked at each other face to face a moment before and he saw it wasn't whoever they were looking for and put a hand on the driver's arm to lower the gun pointed at me

could I have retrieved my rifle and shot them both? Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
I sure af would have been more than tempted to!

I had a similar thing happen. Verbal confrontation...he acted as if he had a gun there was a part of me that want to go Bernhard Goetz on him.
... ALL you mates got very good points here.

But lemme remind you - THIS CASE and situation of what happened
surely has to stand on its own merits... They won't be argueing
about "what Rittenhouse did" in the Texas courtroom.

#### Salty
They will in voir dire
This clip is an analysis of this case by a Firearms advocate who is also a Texas Lawyer. I think his perspective is spot on.

https://youtu.be/7L3dYJWy198
  • WTF
  • 12-09-2021, 02:25 PM
... ALL you mates got very good points here.

But lemme remind you - THIS CASE and situation of what happened
surely has to stand on its own merits... They won't be argueing
about "what Rittenhouse did" in the Texas courtroom.

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
True...but nobody is arguing that... Right now it is just whore board pontification
  • WTF
  • 12-09-2021, 02:25 PM
This clip is an analysis of this case by a Firearms advocate who is also a Texas Lawyer. I think his perspective is spot on.

https://youtu.be/7L3dYJWy198 Originally Posted by Levianon17
That was a great video
With this happening on his property, after telling the guy to leave, firing a warning shot and the guy having attempted to disarm him or take his weapon. A DA is gonna be hard pressed to seek an indictment. Originally Posted by NoirMan

Damn! Didn't see that coming
maybe I haven't studied this sad affair as much as some others in here

granted there are some similarities

but with Rittenhouse he was pursued by a man, a pursuit that wasn't instigated by a hot blood event, it was done in a much colder state of mind

Rittenhouse ran and that man followed him and he was cornered or reasonably felt cornered and the man came at him

in this case I didn't see where there was a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm

Which is why the law asks YOU ( I believe ) to put yourself in that situation and ask yourself if you would be worried at that moment, that if you didn't shoot, this man who "could have" just said to you, "I'm going to kill you" for instance, would you believe him or not? Would you say to yourself "Oh, he probably doesn't mean that" or think the opposite?

now I understand there are legalities and the castle doctrine and all of that, to me it just strikes me as different Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought

And I'm not saying you are wrong merely pointing out that people will see this differently until the law is explained to them, they hear all the evidence which none of us has heard and they apply it to THIS case and still some will disagree and hopefully, the correct argument, by law, will prevail.

Maybe I just have this prejudice against people who can't seem to control their emotions like the husband. Anybody that will get so close to your face that your noses are touching, is somebody not in control of himself. I can only think that if I were in that situation, I would have taken a step back, called the cops and maybe after telling the cops this guy pulled a weapon on him, his ass would be going to jail and this might be enough for a judge to re-consider the child custody arrangement. I don't like people who can't control themselves.

I hate fucking bullies and that's how I see the husband.
And I'm not saying you are wrong merely pointing out that people will see this differently until the law is explained to them, they hear all the evidence which none of us has heard and they apply it to THIS case and still some will disagree and hopefully, the correct argument, by law, will prevail.

Maybe I just have this prejudice against people who can't seem to control their emotions like the husband. Anybody that will get so close to your face that your noses are touching, is somebody not in control of himself. I can only think that if I were in that situation, I would have taken a step back, called the cops and maybe after telling the cops this guy pulled a weapon on him, his ass would be going to jail and this might be enough for a judge to re-consider the child custody arrangement. I don't like people who can't control themselves.

I hate fucking bullies and that's how I see the husband. Originally Posted by HedonistForever
I see the twerp and ex-wife as being in the wrong

the guy had absolutely zero reason to take the man's life other than his own anger

it was unwarranted, there was no threat to the man when he shot

the ex husband had some verbiage earlier. but to me he was merely using words of bluster
That was a great video Originally Posted by WTF
I thought it was too, that's why I posted it.
  • WTF
  • 12-09-2021, 04:47 PM
I thought it was too, that's why I posted it. Originally Posted by Levianon17
If other posters watched it they'd be hearing the law from a lawyers perspective.

I especially liked how he explained how the point at which you start watching has relevance in the law or possible outcome