The only demographic in America that reliably opposes abortion access is older men

You use that a lot. Must be your fav...

There is so much controversy and division between pro choice and pro life advocates.

Why can't individuals be left to make their own decision about this ? Why do pro lifers have the need to force their beliefs on pro choice believers ?
There is so much controversy and division between pro choice and pro life advocates.

Why can't individuals be left to make their own decision about this ? Why do pro lifers have the need to force their beliefs on pro choice believers ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
Why do pro choice have the right to force their beliefs on pro life advocates?
Why do pro choice have the right to force their beliefs on pro life advocates? Originally Posted by texasgentleman1
Why does the government have the right to legislate morality?

You don’t want an abortion, don’t get one.
The government doesn’t but that doesn’t stop them from legislating everything. I am fine with states choosing their on path. Put it on the ballot and vote. I am a reasonable man realize I have a different belief pattern than other people, I have my own beliefs and someone else has theirs and that’s fine
  • WTF
  • 07-13-2022, 01:26 PM
The government doesn’t but that doesn’t stop them from legislating everything. I am fine with states choosing their on path. Put it on the ballot and vote. I am a reasonable man realize I have a different belief pattern than other people, I have my own beliefs and someone else has theirs and that’s fine Originally Posted by texasgentleman1
Why do states have to vote on it....how about every pregnant woman has an individual vote concerning her body.

It makes no sense that you think it better that the states have the vote instead of the Federal government.

Under your logic each county in each state should get to vote on it's legality and taken further,each city and taken full circle....each individual.
Why does the government have the right to legislate morality?

You don’t want an abortion, don’t get one. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
It doesn't. The Supreme Court is not a Legislative body that's why Abortion is left up to individual States now. Some States will allow Abortion others won't. It's not complicated.
I am a Constitutionalist/ Textualist, so I understand the SC reasoning that had nothing to do with religion but the Constitution.

Having said that, if and when I get a chance to vote on an abortion law here in the state of Florida, I would vote on a 15 week option and if rape and incest can be proven, they should be exceptions. That is my personal opinion.

So it is possible to see and agree with what the court did but chose to have a different view in the state you live in.

These people that want to talk about abolishing the SC, what would you have as a legal process if you did? State courts making all decisions based on nothing more than the feelings of the people in each state with no SC to tell a state "you can't do that" because the Constitution forbids it whether the majority wants it or not.

People seem to forget that the Constitution is there to protect minority rights from the majority. Majority rule is not an absolute and we should be damned thankful we have such a document governing us.

Why can't individuals be left to make their own decision about this ? Why do pro lifers have the need to force their beliefs on pro choice believers ? Originally Posted by VitaMan

Here is a simple rebuttal to that. Are pro-lifers forcing their beliefs on the people in New York, California or any of the states that will leave Roe the way it is? State Legislatures following the vote of the people in their State, will now make this decision, so please stop with this bullshit that pro-lifers are forcing their opinion on all American because they aren't and people like you keep putting out this false information.

This decision was based on the Constitution, not the Bible.
I am a Constitutionalist/ Textualist, so I understand the SC reasoning that had nothing to do with religion but the Constitution.

Having said that, if and when I get a chance to vote on an abortion law here in the state of Florida, I would vote on a 15 week option and if rape and incest can be proven, they should be exceptions. That is my personal opinion.

So it is possible to see and agree with what the court did but chose to have a different view in the state you live in.

These people that want to talk about abolishing the SC, what would you have as a legal process if you did? State courts making all decisions based on nothing more than the feelings of the people in each state with no SC to tell a state "you can't do that" because the Constitution forbids it whether the majority wants it or not.

People seem to forget that the Constitution is there to protect minority rights from the majority. Majority rule is not an absolute and we should be damned thankful we have such a document governing us. Originally Posted by HedonistForever

No state can take away the right of women or Blacks to vote no matter what the state might want to do. Theoretically yes, a state could very well decide that two men or two woman can not marry and even forbid interracial marriage but the results of a decision like that by any state would be the end of that states economy in my opinion.

I'm wondering right now what the NFL and NBA might do come football season and next NBA season. Will pro teams from New York and California boycott any games in the Louisiana, Superdome?

If Louisiana goes ahead with a no abortion, no contraceptive that is an abortifacient law, I can see massive boycotts of the state of Louisiana. Then a state will have to decide if their decision is worth the possible economic destruction of their state. What the hell is more Democratic than that?
As most of the frequent posters in the forum are older right wingers over 50, this is appropriate reading material for the forum.

The only demographic in America that reliably opposes abortion access is men over the age of 50, according to an analysis of data from Gallup's annual survey on abortion.

While pluralities of both men and women in the aggregate expressed support for abortion, men were almost evenly split down the line. Forty-eight percent of men surveyed said they identify as "pro-choice," while 47% said they identify as "pro-life."

During the past 20 years, men over the age of 50 are the only group with a relatively steady increase in "pro-life" identification (up 11 percentage points) and a decline in "pro-choice" identification (down 6 percentage points) with numbers declining below 50%.

Age is a significant factor: the only age demographic that has a greater percentage of individuals who identified as "pro-life" as over "pro-choice."

When it comes to legal abortion under any circumstance, older men are the least supportive.

While the percentage of young men, young women, and older women in support of abortion under any circumstance has steadily grown over time, the percentage of men over 50 who support such abortion rights is stagnant — although the greatest percentage of support of legal abortion under certain situations came from older men.

Setting aside self-descriptions, overall support for abortion under certain or any conditions is significant and steady. In the three years from 2020 to 2022, on average 79% of men and 82% of women aged 18 to 49 as well as 82% of men and 81% of women 50 and up support abortion in at least some condition.

Younger women from the ages of 18 to 49 reported the largest margin of difference (26 percentage points) between being "pro-choice" and "pro-life".

Support for "pro-choice" views among younger women in particular are 10 percentage points higher than they were two years ago.

Women over the age of 50 showed the most stability in their stance on abortion, but over the past three years have been become majority "pro-choice".

But while the margin of difference between the two camps in this demographic group are not as stark as its younger counterpart, people who self-describe as "pro-life" steady declined beginning in 2020, while "pro-choice" numbers went up.

Younger men, from the ages of 18 to 49, have been generally steady in their abortion-related beliefs, of late.

Although a greater share of men (51%) in this demographic said they are "pro-choice," a close 45% reported that they identify as "pro-life." That is the smallest margin between the two identifiers reported by any of the four demographic groups in the survey. Originally Posted by VitaMan

Here is the latest polling brought to you by the New York Times regarding who might be voting on abortion come mid-terms.

Overall, abortion rated as the most important issue for 5 percent of voters: 1 percent of men, 9 percent of women
I wonder if the results of this poll correlate with christian/religious beliefs. Do younger people who skew pro choice also skew non religious?
I wonder if the results of this poll correlate with christian/religious beliefs. Do younger people who skew pro choice also skew non religious? Originally Posted by txdot-guy

Does it really matter why one holds the views they hold? Do they get more votes than others or is this a one vote per person Democracy and the side that gets the most votes, wins the issue.

Isn't that exactly what Democrats have been screaming about lately, that they don't want a SC making decisions like this, but if the SC doesn't make the decision, who does and just because a couple of big states with very large populations who could outnumber a half dozen other states doesn't mean "they" get to decide for everybody.

The whole freakin reason for Federalism is because it is the best way to settle issues that should be decided by the people. The people don't decide to go to war. The people don't get to decide they don't want people from another state in their state. That is the role of the Federal government. All things left up to the federal government are enumerated in the Constitution and if an issue isn't given solely to the federal government, the states get to decide through Democratic process, the same process Democrats say they want to elect a President, not electoral college or SC but a vote of the people.

Now each state gets that vote and if you don't like what your state does, you have half the country to chose to go live in if this is that important to you.

I have the feeling that maybe in a few months, certainly a few years, some of these states outlawing abortion and abortion pills just might find their economies in the toilet and change their laws. Maybe not.
That's a good thread starter since the gop is owned by old white men that want to exploit women and take away their rights

Dah...bow down biotch and show me that you are worthy... Especially if you're really young. Cancun anyone. We can go through Florida
Supreme Court: states should decide
States: county should decide
County: city should decide
City: neighborhood should decide
Neighborhood: woman should decide