a Candidate For Sensativity Training

There are so many here that complain about “Bush Era” interrogation techniques. Perhaps they would rather use the enhanced interrogation procedures used during LBJ’s administration? You know, the “High Altitude,” AKA the “Helicopter,” interrogation procedure.

During the Vietnam War, approximately 90% of Vietcong prisoners broke down under the direct questioning approach. Yet the story goes that sometimes two recalcitrant POW’s would be taken up in a chopper. One candidate—the one deemed least likely to talk or least likely to possess valuable intel would then be thrown out—hands bound—at altitude. Purportedly, the remaining POW would sing like a canary. The ethical dilemma here is that while the first guy was obviously murdered (not too unlike UBL), was the second guy really tortured?

Another version claims that an uncooperative POW would be pushed out of a helicopter while leashed and secured to a tether line (did the POW know he was tethered?). The POW would then be hauled back into the helicopter. Once the guy was settled, the interrogators conspicuously cut the tether line and renewed their questioning. Again, the POW usually talked.

This enhanced method was rarely used by U.S. forces; however, it WAS commonly employed by the ARVN.
  • Doove
  • 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Yes, but you see those statistics aren't available. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
Yeah, and God exists. The statistics prove it. They're just not available. Trust me.

And John McCain seems to disagree with you too.
I have sought further information from the staff of the Senate Intelligence Committee,
and they confirm for me that, in fact, the best intelligence gained from a CIA detainee —
information describing Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti’s real role in Al-Qaeda and his true relationship
to Osama bin Laden — was obtained through standard, non-coercive means, not through
any ‘enhanced interrogation technique.’
In short, it was not torture or cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment of detainees that
got us the major leads that ultimately enabled our intelligence community to find Osama
bin Laden. I hope former Attorney General Mukasey will correct his misstatement. It’s
important that he do so because
we are again engaged in this important debate, with much at stake for America’s security
and reputation. Each side should make its own case, but do so
without making up its own facts.
Yeah, and God exists. The statistics prove it. They're just not available. Trust me. Originally Posted by Doove
You are confusing religion with God.

And John McCain seems to disagree with you too.
I have sought further information from the staff of the Senate Intelligence Committee,
and they confirm for me that, in fact, the best intelligence gained from a CIA detainee —
information describing Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti’s real role in Al-Qaeda and his true relationship
to Osama bin Laden — was obtained through standard, non-coercive means, not through
any ‘enhanced interrogation technique.’
In short, it was not torture or cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment of detainees that
got us the major leads that ultimately enabled our intelligence community to find Osama
bin Laden. I hope former Attorney General Mukasey will correct his misstatement. It’s
important that he do so because
we are again engaged in this important debate, with much at stake for America’s security
and reputation. Each side should make its own case, but do so
without making up its own facts.
Originally Posted by Doove
Senator McCain, as a ranking member of the Senate, still isn’t sure. He is a victim of extreme torture. Of course he is going to error on the side of caution. He is also in the winter of his life. People get reflective so consider the source. Each side has their own set of facts. This is an opinion-based decision like I have to keep reminding you about. I do not agree with you.
  • Doove
  • 05-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Yeah, and God exists. The statistics prove it. They're just not available. Trust me. Originally Posted by Doove
You are confusing religion with God. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
No, actually i'm mocking your point

Senator McCain, as a ranking member of the Senate, still isn’t sure.
Isn't sure? Isn't sure? What the freak are you reading?

He is a victim of extreme torture.
But it was during a war, so it's different.

Of course he is going to error on the side of caution. He is also in the winter of his life. People get reflective so consider the source.
He's in the winter of his life? That's your reasoning? He's in the winter of his life? Are you kidding me with this? And Donald Rumsfeld is......what exactly? Dick Cheney? Where is he? My God, Olivia, you just get more ridiculous with every post. I would point out that Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and pretty much everyone else you're relying on for "proof" that torture works are people who are defending the fact that they tortured, but injecting any logic into this would only make your head hurt, it seems. And yeah, i'm being hyper aggressive, whatever the hell that means. It's intentional.

Each side has their own set of facts.
And one sides set of facts are not available, apparently.

This is an opinion-based decision like I have to keep reminding you about. I do not agree with you.
No, you don't need to keep reminding me. I'm well aware of it. But if you keep bringing up ridiculous points, i'm going to keep responding to them. So if you want this conversation to end.....
Olivia, do you realize that if you stop banging your head against a wall, it will feel better?
  • WTF
  • 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Olivia, do you realize that if you stop banging your head against a wall, it will feel better? Originally Posted by pjorourke
Yea Olivia, a Headboard would feel much better!

Olivia, do you realize that if you stop banging your head against a wall, it will feel better? Originally Posted by pjorourke
I know; I'm done. This must be what it is like to be married to a nagging harpie. I need a man cave at the moment.

Yea Olivia, a Headboard would feel much better!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/JANEGR%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG] Originally Posted by WTF
I hear that! So are we back to king size bed, strawberries, bubbly, spit and lube??? Because it'd be mighty fine just about now.
  • Doove
  • 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM
This must be what it is like to be married to a nagging harpie.
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
Don't be so hard on yourself.
I need a man cave at the moment. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
One cave...no waiting!