You can get arrested for being poor now.

Yo DF, if you would bother to read the news article, you would see the story clearly stated the parents were aresed for “Willful Cruelty to a Child” NOT for being poor!!!
Debtor's Prisons as a cultural playhouse, discuss ...
I’m guessing you are kidding. They were living in the same shithole as the kids. Not at the trump towers.

Yo DF, if you would bother to read the news article, you would see the story clearly stated the parents were aresed for “Willful Cruelty to a Child” NOT for being poor!!! Originally Posted by DocHolyday
I give up here.

Scotty, beam me up...and make it quick!!
What I got out of the story was that they gave cats a more substantial place to live than their children. Which leads you to the cruelty to a child aspect.

If living in a box is what you have to do then that’s fine and understandable. But if you turn over a better domicile to a bunch of animals over your family you are wrong.

Also it does not say where the parents were living.

Personally I’d rather live in a box than in a travel trailer with 30 cats. The ammonia stench must be incredible. But the cats should have never been in there in the first place.

“Coal burnin’ stove no natural gas, if that ain’t country I’ll kiss your ass”
-David Allan Coe-
You need a driver's license to operate a motor vehicle and you need to pass a driving test, an eye test to get that license.

It should be the same for folks who wants to become parents.

So many folks have children and neglect them and so many just keep cranking out more children that they can't afford just so their welfare checks gets bigger with each additional child.

Like those 2 monsters with the 13 kids imprisoned in their home, age 2 to 20 something.

How did no one notice or ask any questions including the neighbors?

Also on the financial side, if you want to finance a car or a home you need to meet certain income and financials and credit requirements to qualify for the loan.

That should also be part of the requirements for anyone who want to have children:

pass mental psychological test, physical test, background check including criminal, income, credit, financial, etc before they are allowed to have one kid.

Everytime after the first kid, if they want more, they need to go through the same application process all over again.

You don't apply for a car loan and get approved and 10 years from now use the same application from that loan to get a new car loan, do you?