Dick Van Patten dead at 86

Dick Van Patten, best known as Tom Bradford, head of the Eight Is Enough family, has died at age 86 from complications from diabetes. Van Patten’s sunny demeanor made him a beloved TV actor, and his performances were informed by shrewd comic timing and a generosity toward his co-stars. Story

Having been among the first of Gen X who was a latchkey kid I think we're probably among the first who strongly feels our own mortality when an actor/actress from our favorite TV shows growing up passes away.

I think that's why cartoons are ageless to us. Even if the original voice actor passes away they can find someone very similar if not a dead ringer for the voice talent.

So just a moment out of my madness for a minute of somber reflection with the people I like.
his son Vince Van Patten is a former Tennis Pro.. good place to mention one of my favorite sitcom episodes ever.. the show "eight is enough", where Van Patten played the dad, "Tom Bradford".. on season one, he was married (Diana Hyland played his wife).. Hyland taped just 4 episodes, got sick and died of breast cancer.. for season 2 they brought in Fort Worth's own Betty Buckley, whom Bradford married, and she became step-mom.

the episode I refer to had Tommy, one of the 8 children, grieving silently and alone about losing his mom (Hyland's character died on the show as well).. meanwhile the other family members were cheery, making stupid remarks and such.. I remember thinking "this is the worst script, these people are stupid", but I continued watching.

I was being set-up.. the inane banter and stupidity was foil for the climactic ending (they had been suppressing their grief).. Tommy found a Christmas present his mom had bought for him, and hidden away before her unexpected death.. the rest of the family discovered that, and all of them broke down in tears Christmas morning.. absolutely brilliant script.. I was right there with them in tears.

that episode came on several times in re-runs in subsequent years, I always turned the channel.. I couldn't take that emotional roller coaster again!
That show was a sit com? There was nothing funny about it.
EightySix is Enough.
bad attempt at humor. R.I.P.
Dick van Patten, Bruce Jenner, Nicolet Sheridan, what could go wrong?

Dick van Patten, Bruce Jenner, Nicolet Sheridan, what could go wrong?

Originally Posted by Von Spieler
Von. You are a god among mods! I had no idea this existed!
And it may be one of the ONLY videos I couldn't find on torrent. :/
But the poor hair piece lives on ...