Peter oToole

Passed away at age 81 was very good in the movie lawrence of arabia
Passed away at age 81 was very good in the movie lawrence of arabia Originally Posted by yankee13
He gave a truly tour-de-force performance in David Lean's epic movie, which I never get tired of watching.
He was the best in my favorite film of all time, "The Lion in Winter".

No one could play a king quite like he could.

EW
He was the best in my favorite film of all time, "The Lion in Winter". Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Another great movie, starring three top actors - O'Toole, Katharine Hepburn, and Anthony Hopkins.
I didn't realize that he was nominated for the Oscar 8 times and did not win any. He did receive an Honorary Oscar in 2003.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962): As enigmatic WWI British officer T.E. Lawrence, O'Toole cracks under the pressure of being a savior to the Arabs. (Lost to: Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird)

Becket
(1964)
: O'Toole as Henry II vs. Richard Burton's Archbishop of Canterbury in a duel of wills. (Lost to: Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady)

The Lion in Winter
(1968)
: An older Henry II tussles with his manipulative queen, a never-greater Katharine Hepburn, who won an Oscar. (Lost to: Cliff Roberston in Charly)

Goodbye, Mr. Chips
(1969): O'Toole Sings! Well, sort of, as the reserved British teach who falls for Petula Clark. (Lost to: John Wayne in True Grit)

The Ruling Class
(1972):
The trippy O'Toole is a mad earl who at first believes he is Christ and then thinks he is Jack the Ripper. (Lost to Marlon Brando in The Godfather)

The Stunt Man
(1980):
O'Toole plays a God-like director who lords over cast and crew. (Lost to: Robert De Niro in Raging Bull)

My Favorite Year
(1982):
A self-mocking O'Toole drunkenly clowns about with Errol Flynn Panache. (Lost to Ben Kingsley in Gandhi)

Venus
(2006)
: Impotence and old age have nothing on Maurice (O'Toole). He finds his life reinvigorated by Jessie (Jodie Whittaker), the grandniece of a friend. (Lost to Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland)
I didn't realize that he was nominated for the Oscar 8 times and did not win any. He did receive an Honorary Oscar in 2003.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962): As enigmatic WWI British officer T.E. Lawrence, O'Toole cracks under the pressure of being a savior to the Arabs. (Lost to: Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird)

Becket
(1964)
: O'Toole as Henry II vs. Richard Burton's Archbishop of Canterbury in a duel of wills. (Lost to: Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady)

The Lion in Winter
(1968)
: An older Henry II tussles with his manipulative queen, a never-greater Katharine Hepburn, who won an Oscar. (Lost to: Cliff Roberston in Charly)

Goodbye, Mr. Chips
(1969): O'Toole Sings! Well, sort of, as the reserved British teach who falls for Petula Clark. (Lost to: John Wayne in True Grit)

The Ruling Class
(1972):
The trippy O'Toole is a mad earl who at first believes he is Christ and then thinks he is Jack the Ripper. (Lost to Marlon Brando in The Godfather)

The Stunt Man
(1980):
O'Toole plays a God-like director who lords over cast and crew. (Lost to: Robert De Niro in Raging Bull)

My Favorite Year
(1982):
A self-mocking O'Toole drunkenly clowns about with Errol Flynn Panache. (Lost to Ben Kingsley in Gandhi)

Venus
(2006)
: Impotence and old age have nothing on Maurice (O'Toole). He finds his life reinvigorated by Jessie (Jodie Whittaker), the grandniece of a friend. (Lost to Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland) Originally Posted by jackfengshui
in looking at this list I don't get a sense that he was ever "robbed." in 1962 LOA and O'Toole were pitted against Mockingbird and Peck, a battle of cinema classics and film acting giants.

I thought maybe he got skunked because he was a Brit (Irish really) but two of his losses were to Harrison and Kingsley.

Obits pulled out Noel Coward's classic line that if O'Toole was any prettier they would have called the flick "Florence of Arabia."
I know it was considered a classic, but I always found Larry of Arabia to be very slow. Always have a hard time sitting through that one.
I know it was considered a classic, but I always found Larry of Arabia to be very slow. Always have a hard time sitting through that one. Originally Posted by wantsome
I agree. Every once in awhile, I wish to watch some old epic film. I've tried to watch Lawrence of Arabia a few times and never have been able to get into it.

Now, if it was "The Vikings" or "Spartacus", then we have something.

Sorry to make light. He was a great actor. There are a few movies on the list above that I would like to make time to watching during the holidays.

Thanks.
Elisabeth
I do agree that "Lawrence of Arabia" was too long. Nevertheless, the cinematography was amazing. O'Toole was so handsome (even the Turkish general played by Jose Ferrer could not resist). And the historical context it provided about the Middle East is very much still relevant today.
  • MC
  • 12-17-2013, 02:12 PM
The Lion in Winter (1968): An older Henry II tussles with his manipulative queen, a never-greater Katharine Hepburn, who won an Oscar. (Lost to: Cliff Roberston in Charly) Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Great movie. I remember watching it at my aunt's house when I was in my teens. Thought I would be bored by it but ended up loving it. Great performances all around, especially from a young Anthony Hopkins.