Unspoken Respect of Common Courtesy.

“It is impossible to overlook the extent to which civilization is built upon a renunciation of instinct,” Sigmund Freud said.

There’s always a tension between how much we should follow our instincts and how much we should yield to social conventions. But at times like ours, the tendency is to tilt too far toward our instincts, since the conventions are changing fast and there’s no consensus about them anyway. There’s a risk in that. You don’t know whom you might be offending or how you might be sabotaging your own success.

The original etiquette manuals of Western civilization were in fact success manuals. As author Steven Pinker notes, they taught knights and nobles how to conduct themselves in the court of the king—which is where we get the concepts of “courtly” and “courtesy.”

Remember your time will come and I hope you will remember who showed respect and common courtesy.
have you been formulating this post for 5 years and 9 months? or did it just come to you after trolling that long?
There is no such thing as common courtesy...
Steven Pinker lol
There is no such thing as common courtesy... Originally Posted by Wakeup
There is, and those etiquette manuals are still used and taught in some places.

There is no such thing as common courtesy on ECCIE Originally Posted by Wakeup
This would be a more appropriate phrase, and you contribute and role model to this philosophy.

There is no such thing as common courtesy on the internet. Originally Posted by Wakeup
This would also be accurate; internet anonymity makes people feel safe to behave poorly, and to reveal their vilest urges.

This isn't the symphony, the opera, or a match-making ball - this is the dockside sailor's rest where sailors long at sea come to drink, curse, and fornicate, and the women have learned the same behavior.

You're the self-proclaimed king of the dock workers; you do your best to build a pedestal of scorn and abuse on the backs of the rest of the common man to crown yourself their king - through determination, repetition, and strict pursuit of your creed, you've established the standard for crude, base, rude behavior.

And since you have worked so hard to establish that standard of behavior, combined with your self-appellation "King of the Worst" it is expected that you project your behavior as the only acceptable behavior. I won't advise you to open your eyes (to wakeup even?) and look beyond the filth you advocate - you're too set in your ways.

But I will say that those with the etiquette, class, and the courtesy you deny exist pay no attention to the squabblings of crude dock workers - in part because it's beneath dignity, but in larger part because a career antagonist like yourself desires nothing more than to drag down anyone willing to pause long enough to give him the space of breath to perform your practiced verbal vomit; a readily recognized trap of the career antagonist / ambulance chaser / copyright troll / #blacklivesmatter / #WakeupAgenda.

Don't you ever wonder why you seemingly win all your internet arguments? Deep down, you must wonder. You haven't outargued anyone, presented facts, studies, data to support your opinions. Surely your brothel philosophizing has creased this wave of thought at least once? Your method of argumentation is to out-shout, out-insult, and out-victimize anyone crosses your pseudo-intellectualism. Eventually, even the most stubborn opponent realizes that trying to argue with an oncoming tidal wave of liquid diarrhea is foolhardy and gets out of the way. You can't reason with fecal matter, even if it makes noise.

Back to the dockside analogy - I'm sure you'll squirt some of your bottled diarrhea at my carriage in passing, and when I fail to come back to demand you replace that squirt bottle of liquid feces with distilled water and change your life, you'll claim another internet victory for yourself - but the sole two weapons in your argumentative arsenal are the logical fallacies ignoratio elenchi, and ad hominem.

Wave that squirt bottle around; my driver will be cleaning off my carriage.
There is, and those etiquette manuals are still used and taught in some places. Originally Posted by TravelingGentleman
And you think that what they teach in those etiquette manuals is courtesy, and the fact they teach it in some places makes it common? Try again...

This isn't the symphony, the opera, or a match-making ball - this is the dockside sailor's rest where sailors long at sea come to drink, curse, and fornicate, and the women have learned the same behavior. Originally Posted by TravelingGentleman
Your implication being that you're more likely to find courtesy in an opera than a bar. Again, you demonstrate that your vague understanding of courtesy is only based on class, economic standing, or location. All incorrect.

...readily recognized trap of the career antagonist / ambulance chaser / copyright troll / #blacklivesmatter / #WakeupAgenda. Originally Posted by TravelingGentleman
And now you bring race into it as well...so black people don't have courtesy...

If never seen someone undermine their own words better than you just did...keep thinking that you're better than the people around you...it's bound to work out for you...no really...

P.S.-The 19th century white slave owners called...they want you back...

P.P.S.-I donate enough to the Houston Ballet to be listed in the Playbill every year, and I'm in the Conductor's Circle at the Houston Symphony. Never seen anyone as pompous as you at any of the performances I attend each year...

P.S.-The 19th century white slave owners called...they want you back...... Originally Posted by Wakeup
Now THAT is funny.
For purely comedic relief, I give you your own medicine, which you precisely role-played.

First, ignoratio elenchi, or the red herring logical fallacy - in which you selectively choose a point to argue to the exclusion of all else.

black people don't have courtesy...
Originally Posted by Wakeup
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and yours smells like shit. You lose the internet, and are a waste of space.

Do you like how I not only used the ignoratio elenchi fallacy, but tied an ad hominem attack into the same statement? I shall now combine your two favored arguing tactics into another fun riposte.

P.S.- The 19th century white slave owners called
Originally Posted by Wakeup
I'm glad that they knew the right number to call to speak to their 21st century counterpart. I'm sure you told them how you felt about black people, probably while snubbing playwrights with your white friends at the hooded symphony.

Do you understand why your methods of argument are BY DEFINITION flawed and invalid? They are false logic.

Not to leave a Wakeup special incomplete, I offer your crowning completion style back to you:

I've seen less arrogant asshats in the YouTube broadcast of the annual arrogant asshattery global finals. You should compete professionally, you're a shoe in for the win.

If you get nothing....NOTHING out of this but a single morsel - it is this: People don't prolong debate or argument with you because you are - by the very definitions used to explain such things - too stupid to argue with. I'm sure you'd like to go around a few more times, but aside from the chuckles you've provided....

Actually, on the off chance that are you actually uneducated and simple instead of maliciously false, please research logical fallacies. I admire your desire to verbally spar with everyone, but without a fundamental understanding of logic and discourse, you cannot be engaged in intelligent discussion - you are unarmed, and the time spent is wasted.

If it's the former, continue with your fake rhetoric and boxed-wine intellect. If the latter....PM me when you learn about the constructs of argument and understand how to avoid them.
Hook...line...

This would be a more appropriate phrase, and you contribute and role model to this philosophy.

This would also be accurate; internet anonymity makes people feel safe to behave poorly, and to reveal their vilest urges.

This isn't the symphony, the opera, or a match-making ball - this is the dockside sailor's rest where sailors long at sea come to drink, curse, and fornicate, and the women have learned the same behavior.

You're the self-proclaimed king of the dock workers; you do your best to build a pedestal of scorn and abuse on the backs of the rest of the common man to crown yourself their king - through determination, repetition, and strict pursuit of your creed, you've established the standard for crude, base, rude behavior.

And since you have worked so hard to establish that standard of behavior, combined with your self-appellation "King of the Worst" it is expected that you project your behavior as the only acceptable behavior. I won't advise you to open your eyes (to wakeup even?) and look beyond the filth you advocate - you're too set in your ways.

But I will say that those with the etiquette, class, and the courtesy you deny exist pay no attention to the squabblings of crude dock workers - in part because it's beneath dignity, but in larger part because a career antagonist like yourself desires nothing more than to drag down anyone willing to pause long enough to give him the space of breath to perform your practiced verbal vomit; a readily recognized trap of the career antagonist / ambulance chaser / copyright troll / #blacklivesmatter / #WakeupAgenda.

Don't you ever wonder why you seemingly win all your internet arguments? Deep down, you must wonder. You haven't outargued anyone, presented facts, studies, data to support your opinions. Surely your brothel philosophizing has creased this wave of thought at least once? Your method of argumentation is to out-shout, out-insult, and out-victimize anyone crosses your pseudo-intellectualism. Eventually, even the most stubborn opponent realizes that trying to argue with an oncoming tidal wave of liquid diarrhea is foolhardy and gets out of the way. You can't reason with fecal matter, even if it makes noise.

Back to the dockside analogy - I'm sure you'll squirt some of your bottled diarrhea at my carriage in passing, and when I fail to come back to demand you replace that squirt bottle of liquid feces with distilled water and change your life, you'll claim another internet victory for yourself - but the sole two weapons in your argumentative arsenal are the logical fallacies ignoratio elenchi, and ad hominem.

Wave that squirt bottle around; my driver will be cleaning off my carriage. Originally Posted by TravelingGentleman
You, my friend, drip with the sort of attraction that makes a woman's bed wet, and contributes to many, less than appropriate but more than blush worthy, day dreams.
  • Old-T
  • 11-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Sir, these two posts taken together are possibly the finest piece of filleting I have seen in quite some time. You can tell the skill of the master by the fact that the subject of the knife-work hasn’t even noticed that his subcutaneous tissue is fully exposed. Bravo sir, I applaud you and tip my hat to you.

And you could not have demonstrated your skills on a more worthy subject.

Wave that squirt bottle around; my driver will be cleaning off my carriage. Originally Posted by TravelingGentleman
For purely comedic relief, I give you your own medicine, which you precisely role-played.

First, ignoratio elenchi, or the red herring logical fallacy - in which you selectively choose a point to argue to the exclusion of all else.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and yours smells like shit. You lose the internet, and are a waste of space.

Do you like how I not only used the ignoratio elenchi fallacy, but tied an ad hominem attack into the same statement? I shall now combine your two favored arguing tactics into another fun riposte.

I'm glad that they knew the right number to call to speak to their 21st century counterpart. I'm sure you told them how you felt about black people, probably while snubbing playwrights with your white friends at the hooded symphony.

Do you understand why your methods of argument are BY DEFINITION flawed and invalid? They are false logic.

Not to leave a Wakeup special incomplete, I offer your crowning completion style back to you:

I've seen less arrogant asshats in the YouTube broadcast of the annual arrogant asshattery global finals. You should compete professionally, you're a shoe in for the win.

If you get nothing....NOTHING out of this but a single morsel - it is this: People don't prolong debate or argument with you because you are - by the very definitions used to explain such things - too stupid to argue with. I'm sure you'd like to go around a few more times, but aside from the chuckles you've provided....

Actually, on the off chance that are you actually uneducated and simple instead of maliciously false, please research logical fallacies. I admire your desire to verbally spar with everyone, but without a fundamental understanding of logic and discourse, you cannot be engaged in intelligent discussion - you are unarmed, and the time spent is wasted.

If it's the former, continue with your fake rhetoric and boxed-wine intellect. If the latter....PM me when you learn about the constructs of argument and understand how to avoid them. Originally Posted by TravelingGentleman
*tips hat respectfully*.

I thank you both for the kind words. I realize I skirted the line on ungentlemanly behavior, but even a gentleman will wipe dirt from their jacket and sternly scold the child who threw it.

I see that Wakeup ended this with the good old fashioned, "Aha, I was only PLAYING the role of a stupid troll and you fell for my act hook line and sinker, so GOTCHA!" Well played sir. You convinced me. Award yourself some more internet points and polish your crown - you remain the undisputed heavyweight internet troll.
Oh no, I'm not done...I'm just in awe of your obvious gentlemanly superiority...I'm, after all, just a simple minded black man who frequents bars so I can cuss all day...

Please...continue!

"P.S.-The 19th century white slave owners called...they want you back..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

...I'm glad that they knew the right number to call to speak to their 21st century counterpart. I'm sure you told them how you felt about black people, probably while snubbing playwrights with your white friends at the hooded symphony. Originally Posted by TravelingGentleman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQbRyay_ojY
  • Old-T
  • 11-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Oh no, I'm not done...I'm just in awe of your obvious gentlemanly superiority...I'm, after all, just a simple minded black man who frequents bars so I can cuss all day...

Please...continue! Originally Posted by Wakeup
As usual you are self delusional. No one truly cares your race, or your proclivity towards alcohol, or how magnanimous you like to make yourself feel by your contributions. What the posters here see in you is a self important pontificator who wants to be the Rev Jones, imparting his interpretation of the moral high ground on the ignorant masses.

Believe what you wish. Set your own moral compas. But expect well deserved ridicule when you thump your overly simplistic moral book on the table and tell us to convert. Once again the "elephant" soils only himself.