Restaurants: A "No Tipping" World....

Coming soon to a restaurant near you.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/di...dern.html?_r=0
I used to work as a sever for a restaurant that now does this. The current servers are not happy, as many of them didn't claim all of their cash tips in the past and their hourly wage is based off an average of claimed tips since they have started working. Although some hours may be slow, but the peak hours always made up for it so to me this is a terrible idea!
I used to work as a sever for a restaurant that now does this. The current servers are not happy, as many of them didn't claim all of their cash tips in the past and their hourly wage is based off an average of claimed tips since they have started working. Although some hours may be slow, but the peak hours always made up for it so to me this is a terrible idea! Originally Posted by MeganTheVixen
I never worked as a server I have a question. The tips that I put on my credit card; how does the server get that? Does the company include in their pay or what. I have looked at my credit card online and sometimes I don't see where the company charge me for the tip. I only see the original amount.
I do own a restaurant and can tell you this is driven by the threat of the $15 minimum wage. If a server does not claim enough in tips to hit minimum wage the employer is responsible to make the difference.
I used to work as a sever for a restaurant that now does this. The current servers are not happy, as many of them didn't claim all of their cash tips in the past and their hourly wage is based off an average of claimed tips since they have started working. Although some hours may be slow, but the peak hours always made up for it so to me this is a terrible idea! Originally Posted by MeganTheVixen
As a taxpayer, I don't have any sympathy for members of our workforce/tax base that have not been paying what they owe but it the future may be forced to pay more of what they should have been paying

I do own a restaurant and can tell you this is driven by the threat of the $15 minimum wage. If a server does not claim enough in tips to hit minimum wage the employer is responsible to make the difference. Originally Posted by kenzsquatch
Agree this is a driver.

To answer the original question: I think a lot of consumers would just be all for moving away from tipping in sit down restaurants and other places. It's damn confusing. Who do I tip? How much?

That said of all the places that I tip that I'd like to get rid of them the one that is the least confusing is the sit down/full service restaurant. I know tipping is clearly expected. I have a good feel for what is appropriate. I also like that, particularly at places I frequent regularly, I can tip really well to ensure I continue to get good service.

What I'd really like to get rid of are all the other places I tip or am asked to tip: taxi drivers (I love how uber has eliminated that), hair salon people, delivery drivers, etc. etc.

And for the love of God, all of the low service fast food places need to get rid of the damn tip jars and ugly looks for not tipping. I just gave you about $3 to dispense 16-20 ounces of already brewed drip coffee into a paper cup and point me at the cream/sugar/condiment area in the corner. I think we are good!