Speeding Ticket

Hi, people. Forgive me if this turns into a rant but I just got pulled over by I10W and Huebner.

The motorcycle cop was in plain sight. He was on the 2nd to the left lane by himself. I saw him from miles away and didn't think much of it as I knew I wasn't going at a crazy speed.

I pull up next to him, maybe slightly past. Then, I signal to the right and switch lanes to exit into Huebner Oaks. All of a sudden, I see the cop get behind me and gestures for me to stop. I couldn't believe it! I'm almost sure he had to slow down just to get behind me.

He says, based on his RADAR, I was doing 75 in a 65. I disagreed but he insisted he was at 70 when I "passed" him. Personally, I could've been at 74 at the maximum but I'm pretty confident that it was less than that since I was slowing down to take the exit.

Paying the ticket isn't really my issue. I just feel like the cop pulled me over to meet a quota-- it's a matter of principle to me.

Is it silly for me to waste my time fighting this in court?
He says, based on his RADAR, I was doing 75 in a 65. I disagreed but he insisted.

I could've been at 74 at the maximum...

Is it silly for me to waste my time fighting this in court? Originally Posted by patasian
That's an admission of guilt. Did you tell the officer that you were "only" doing 74 in a 65 zone? If your plan is to tell the judge you were only doing 74 you will be better off paying the ticket or requesting deferred adjudication or take one of those online driving refresher courses to dismiss the ticket.
Just go to class.th as r way it won't be on record.
Try to use the WAZE app to have advance warnings of the revenue generators' locations. I use this app prodigiously & it's saved my hide several times. Love it while driving!

Better luck next time & be careful on the roads!
"Wasn't going at a crazy speed."
Second admission of guilt.

Only way I can see you getting out of it is if you can get a forensic download of your vehicles computer proving your speed at the exact time. Unless there are cameras that caught the whole incident of the alleged speeding occuring.

So, if you can't get that or take the next step of difficulty and cast doubt on the instrument that says you are guilty, i'd suck it up and take the ticket or get a lawyer to drop it.
Guilty of being over the posted speed limit, yes. However, the law states one can drive at a presumptive, reasonable speed despite that limit. There is ambiguity in this, I know, but it's the law here in Texas.

I was going with the general flow of traffic. So was the cop. That to me would be the reasonable speed. The only question would be if the judge agrees with me, I guess. LOL.

Thanks for the feedback, gents.
I got a speeding ticket a ways back,..I held off paying when I got a random solicitation in my mail from a downtown lawyer,...visited and paid his fee,...he managed deferred adjudication...I never did a thing except visit, got paper work and stay clean for a while.
My rule of thumb is.. ALWAYS know how fast you are going AND never pass a LE unless they are WAY under the speed limit.....then once out of site... RED line that old bucket of bolts & haul AZZ...
Simalar thing happend to me , i told the officer i wanted to see the radar reading he took me back to the car and said look ..i loomed and i said wow 64 so why did you stop me . He repleid speeding .i toldhim i took picture of radar and told him he was on my cars video and to call his sergant . He said no i called 911 myself and filled complaint. I was by the rim shopping center speed there is 70 speed limit
Too slow?
Maybe he forgot to say negative speeding.
Just so you know the judge will 99% of time agree with cop. If you admitted to speeding you are going to have to pay fine. Going with the flow doesn't count, since you were above the speed limit. I had a friend try to fight a ticket using the argument and lost in court.
I may be wrong, but the Popo is allowed to go +10mph over the posted speed limit.
Hi, people. Forgive me if this turns into a rant but I just got pulled over by I10W and Huebner.

The motorcycle cop was in plain sight. He was on the 2nd to the left lane by himself. I saw him from miles away and didn't think much of it as I knew I wasn't going at a crazy speed.

I pull up next to him, maybe slightly past. Then, I signal to the right and switch lanes to exit into Huebner Oaks. All of a sudden, I see the cop get behind me and gestures for me to stop. I couldn't believe it! I'm almost sure he had to slow down just to get behind me.

He says, based on his RADAR, I was doing 75 in a 65. I disagreed but he insisted he was at 70 when I "passed" him. Personally, I could've been at 74 at the maximum but I'm pretty confident that it was less than that since I was slowing down to take the exit.

Paying the ticket isn't really my issue. I just feel like the cop pulled me over to meet a quota-- it's a matter of principle to me.

Is it silly for me to waste my time fighting this in court? Originally Posted by patasian
The Judges in this town aren't about to go against the police officers unless it's just a blatant case or situation, since tickets are such a large revenue generator for the " legal " system. The only way to poke them back is to either go to a LIE-yer and get him to handle it for whatever his fee is and have the attorney get deferred adjudication for you ( as one of the other poster's stated, you keep your traffic record clean for a number of court ordered months-like maybe 6 months- and it never goes on to your record. The other option is defensive drivers. The DD course can be taken on line now and also can be used to lower your car insurance premium ( the insurance company doesn't know that you're taking the course to get relief from a ticket, the course will give you a two part form. One for the court and another to send in to your insurance company. The online course requires that you sit through 6 hours of instruction ( state requirement ) but the last one I took lasted a few hours longer. You can start and stop the sessions as you need to, but there is a time limit that the court will give you to complete the course ( usually a couple of weeks / month or 2 ). Just what ever your cash and time situation is will determine what option to take. Hope this helps.
Since you admitted guilt, do what Rey says.

Now, the next time it happens KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT ON HOW FAST YOU ARE GOING!!! Even if you are doing 100+mph on a residential street. You have alot more options available to you if you don't say one thing.