A simple question of values

I'm sure that most of us have seen Captain America: Civil War. Here is my question, who did you support? Team Iron Man or Team Cap? I heard what I consider a stupid assertion the other night on TV. We have a good idea on everyone's politics, so where do you stand on comic book characters?
I was on capt America's side. In essence that Sokovia accord made mutant kind into 2nd class citizens, having to register just to exist (almost)..
  • WTF
  • 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM
Damn....
never saw the movie

but ever since I was a kid...I was excited by Poison Ivy

even Batman said that she almost had him turned to the dark side

it is said of Poison Ivy, "At her core, however, she is a femme fatale and one of the deadliest in all of comics."
Holy chit.
  • WTF
  • 12-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Holy chit. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
No fucking wonder they know little to nothing about politics....they get their moral views from Comic Books!

Never saw it.

Political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability when the actions of the Avengers lead to collateral damage. The new status quo deeply divides members of the team. Captain America (Chris Evans) believes superheroes should remain free to defend humanity without government interference. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) sharply disagrees and supports oversight. As the debate escalates into an all-out feud, Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) must pick a side.

Interesting plot though.
didn't see the movie.

guess I'll have to look up IMDB to read the synopsis to see how it ended.
Never saw it.

Political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability when the actions of the Avengers lead to collateral damage. The new status quo deeply divides members of the team. Captain America (Chris Evans) believes superheroes should remain free to defend humanity without government interference. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) sharply disagrees and supports oversight. As the debate escalates into an all-out feud, Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) must pick a side.

Interesting plot though.
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Thing is it wasn't just oversight that the Sokovia accord created. BUT an international Mandate that ALL 'powered individuals" had to be registered, be tracked AND sign up, or they couldn't use their abilities without being jailed..
Okay, our faint hearted (and stupid) leftists don't want to answer. The plot of the movie is that after the twin disasters previously (one in this movie and the other in Ultron) the government decided that all super powered or super trained heroes (as usual nothing for the villains) should be registered and controlled. Tony Stark who was responsible for the creation of Ultron, decided that it was a good idea and told the other Avengers to sign on. Captain America, fresh from Winter Soldier, didn't like the idea of direct government control. Eventually CA refused to sign and he left to find the Winter Soldier who was being framed for the assassination of the king of Wakanda. A schism developed, CA, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Falcon, Antman, and the Winter Soldier were confronted by the remaining Avengers plus the Vision, War Machine, and Spiderman. My concern is a recent show on AMC about the secret history of comic books. The host is Robert Kirkman the creator of the Walking Dead. Having worked in New York City for the last 20 years he said that conservatives supported Iron Man because they believe in strong control and liberals supported Captain America when the reality is the opposite. Shows how out of touch liberals like Kirkman are.
Now you may comment chickens.
Okay, our faint hearted (and stupid) leftists don't want to answer. The plot of the movie is that after the twin disasters previously (one in this movie and the other in Ultron) the government decided that all super powered or super trained heroes (as usual nothing for the villains) should be registered and controlled. Tony Stark who was responsible for the creation of Ultron, decided that it was a good idea and told the other Avengers to sign on. Captain America, fresh from Winter Soldier, didn't like the idea of direct government control. Eventually CA refused to sign and he left to find the Winter Soldier who was being framed for the assassination of the king of Wakanda. A schism developed, CA, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Falcon, Antman, and the Winter Soldier were confronted by the remaining Avengers plus the Vision, War Machine, and Spiderman. My concern is a recent show on AMC about the secret history of comic books. The host is Robert Kirkman the creator of the Walking Dead. Having worked in New York City for the last 20 years he said that conservatives supported Iron Man because they believe in strong control and liberals supported Captain America when the reality is the opposite. Shows how out of touch liberals like Kirkman are.
Now you may comment chickens. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn

btw, the movie was actually based on the comic book mega-series that came out a few years ago, it had heroes split on one side over the registration & unmasking.

I never picked up the heroes' politics in the comic books.

the unmasking & registration is more analogous to gun control which involved registration of guns!!!

so, if one side is for registration of superpowers (guns), you're for control!!
LOL
btw, the movie was actually based on the comic book mega-series that came out a few years ago, it had heroes split on one side over the registration & unmasking.

I never picked up the heroes' politics in the comic books.

the unmasking & registration is more analogous to gun control which involved registration of guns!!!

so, if one side is for registration of superpowers (guns), you're for control!! Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Gun control...you got it.
  • grean
  • 12-14-2017, 09:42 AM
I was on capt America's side. In essence that Sokovia accord made mutant kind into 2nd class citizens, having to register just to exist (almost).. Originally Posted by garhkal
Really tough one. Captain America was ultimately right and they all ended up on his side.

We had an omniscient view and knew details that parties in the film didn't. If I were there without that knowledge, I don't know if I wouldn't fall in line with Iron Man.
Really tough one. Captain America was ultimately right and they all ended up on his side.

We had an omniscient view and knew details that parties in the film didn't. If I were there without that knowledge, I don't know if I wouldn't fall in line with Iron Man. Originally Posted by grean
Isn't that the point? I am a conservative and knowing what they knew, I would have backed Captain America because people shouldn't be registered unless they've broken a law. I don't have a question about who I would support. That's what's called values.