So what did you do today to celebrate the 4th?

The day is drawing to a close. Unlike so many liberals in Arizona, Hollywood, and Florida the rest of us actually recognize the founding of this country as a net positive worthy of celebration. What did you do? Or what do you continue to do?

Myself, every year I make it a point to watch the director's cut of the movie 1776. Much of the dialogue was pulled from the collected letters of John Adams and his wife Abigail. It dramatizes the struggle that men like Adams, Jefferson, and Franklin had to go through to get a unanimous vote for independence. I take my copy of the Declaration off the wall and write another year on the back going back to 1966 when I first made it for Sertoma Club. I think about the freedom that we have given up or had taken from us in the last 50 years; this very site is a part of the town square of speech but there are topics that we can't talk about even if they are on the front page of the newspaper. We can't insult someone creatively if they write something grievously stupid or insulting. Insults should be creative and entertaining if done correctly. Just like some of the things the founders said to each other in the heat of debate. We've lost that because people have become so fragile emotionally. Like the following exchange between Ben Franklin and John Dickenson of Pennsylvania.

Franklin: I would prefer to remain asleep if I am to be called an Englishmen.
Dickenson: Why would you mind? The English don't.
Franklin: Nor would I if given the same rights as an Englishman. It's like calling an ox a bull...he's thankful for the honor but he would rather have returned what is rightfully his.
(pause)
Dickenson: When did you notice that they were missing?
... I spent some o' the day on-line with some mates.
And with some lads who are NOT mates of mine.

We mostly seemed to have a good time.

Also had me some shrimp on the barbie - and beer...

#### Satly
I went for a drive in the country.

Then bathed in the joy that is America's pastime.

Thanks for askin!
The day is drawing to a close. Unlike so many liberals in Arizona, Hollywood, and Florida the rest of us actually recognize the founding of this country as a net positive worthy of celebration. What did you do? Or what do you continue to do?

Myself, every year I make it a point to watch the director's cut of the movie 1776. Much of the dialogue was pulled from the collected letters of John Adams and his wife Abigail. It dramatizes the struggle that men like Adams, Jefferson, and Franklin had to go through to get a unanimous vote for independence. I take my copy of the Declaration off the wall and write another year on the back going back to 1966 when I first made it for Sertoma Club. I think about the freedom that we have given up or had taken from us in the last 50 years; this very site is a part of the town square of speech but there are topics that we can't talk about even if they are on the front page of the newspaper. We can't insult someone creatively if they write something grievously stupid or insulting. Insults should be creative and entertaining if done correctly. Just like some of the things the founders said to each other in the heat of debate. We've lost that because people have become so fragile emotionally. Like the following exchange between Ben Franklin and John Dickenson of Pennsylvania.

Franklin: I would prefer to remain asleep if I am to be called an Englishmen.
Dickenson: Why would you mind? The English don't.
Franklin: Nor would I if given the same rights as an Englishman. It's like calling an ox a bull...he's thankful for the honor but he would rather have returned what is rightfully his.
(pause)
Dickenson: When did you notice that they were missing? Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Watch that every year as well. As corny as the movie can be at times, its a great movie. Also have watched Jaws again today.
i curled up with a beautiful enticing lady of renown

we ate homemade italian subs and great potato salad

and binge watched the old perry mason tv series in between cuddling

raymond burr was a great actor
yesterday mmm
read the news for all the 4th of July stabbings, shootings and carjacking for a city near me.

ROC NY is trying to keep up with Chicago, If Gov Nanny Kathy would let a few more out of prison, the smaller ROC could out kill Chicago . She's working on it, she needs the votes from them

raymond burr was a great actor Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Great show for sure and yes Burr was great . I often wondered if he tapped Della, but like Matt and Kitty we will never know for sure, I would love to see reruns of Amos and Andy.

Red Skelton had the best line ever on TV in the 60 s, If womens skirts get any shorter they going to have 2 more cheeks to powder and another head of hair to comb. Unfortunately that isn’t true today with all those bald kitties
Della....you don't know, the man was gay. Raymond Burr was quite gay and his life was a fabrication about the time he got to Hollywood. I ran across him once in Japantown in San Fransisco. He was wearing a short-sleeved, lime green leisure suit. He was in a lot of pain. He had very small grocery bag and a cane. He moved a couple of steps and rested. You could hear him groan.
yes raymond burr was gay

but interspersed in all that was an infatuation he had over natalie wood

and who didnt have an infatuation with natalie wood

they dated for a bit, perhaps as cover for his gayness, but he supposedly was hurt when studio chiefs made her move along
Great show for sure and yes Burr was great . I often wondered if he tapped Della, but like Matt and Kitty we will never know for sure, I would love to see reruns of Amos and Andy.

Red Skelton had the best line ever on TV in the 60 s, If womens skirts get any shorter they going to have 2 more cheeks to powder and another head of hair to comb. Unfortunately that isn’t true today with all those bald kitties Originally Posted by oilfieldace
red was something else

did he get that off on tv?
  • WTF
  • 07-05-2022, 11:58 AM

raymond burr was a great actor Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Perry Madon!???

Who'd you lay up with Wueen Elizabeth!
Perry Madon!???

Who'd you lay up with Wueen Elizabeth! Originally Posted by WTF
do you have a lisp?
Della....you don't know, the man was gay. Raymond Burr was quite gay and his life was a fabrication about the time he got to Hollywood. I ran across him once in Japantown in San Fransisco. He was wearing a short-sleeved, lime green leisure suit. He was in a lot of pain. He had very small grocery bag and a cane. He moved a couple of steps and rested. You could hear him groan. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Yes I was aware of his sexual preference, I also know that Perry Mason was a fictional TV show hence did he ever Tap Della
I cooked and made desserts for a bunch of people who came over. I also made my famous margarita martinies for folks in the neighboorhood. And than we all went outside with lawn chairs to watch the fireworks which my neighbor sets up like a boss. Very grateful to live life in the U.S.A.
I did what every Real American does, I went down in the pasture an unloaded several 30 rd magazines into a defenseless bale of hay. Then cooked lunch for my handicapped wife and watched Criminal Mind reruns that I know my honey has seen at least 5 times. She loves that show so I just sit and watch with her.