Edith Bunker - Stifled Forever

Rest in peace, Jean!

Jean Stapleton, the character actress whose portrayal of a slow-witted, big-hearted and submissive — up to a point — housewife on the groundbreaking series “All in the Family” made her, along with Mary Tyler Moore and Bea Arthur, not only one of the foremost women in television comedy in the 1970s but a symbol of emergent feminism in American popular culture, died on Friday at her home in New York City. She was 90.

For more on her life and amazing career away from Edith Bunker, click below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/ar...=fb-share&_r=0

Edith Bunker - Stifled Forever

• Doove
  • 06-02-2013, 05:12 AM
COG posts something that actually checks out!
COG posts something that actually checks out! Originally Posted by Doove
Well, it doesn't give us much to look forward to knowing we might have to work our way through another 19,500 BS posts prior to him making his next factual one. But I'll take it!

Way to go COG!

All In The Family was one of my all time favorite television shows and Edith was a huge part of it. RIP!
Stifle COG...just wondered if it would work.
Stifle COG...just wondered if it would work. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
The upside is so great, it is certainly worth the effort!
  • Doove
  • 06-02-2013, 08:08 AM
All In The Family was one of my all time favorite television shows and Edith was a huge part of it. RIP! Originally Posted by bigtex
For my money, the best show we'll ever see.

With Edith and Archie being possibly the two greatest characters in the history of prime-time television. Barney Fife notwithstanding, of course.
And you knew who you WERE then!
Harlen Ellison, the noted science fiction writer, libertarian, and columnist, wrote a criticism on the new TV show called All in the Family. He believed that the show would fail and fail quickly. The main character Archie Freedom (they changed the last name) was unbelievable and offensive. The American public would never stand for it and the wife character was such a door mat that women should rise up and demand cancellation.

I guess he was wrong.

I guess he was wrong. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
That's something you should be able to identify with!