Has anyone noticed this on HOTMAIL?

I was just cleaning out mail and I wanted to mark mail from a certain hotel chain as SAFE or okay because for some reason Hotmail keeps thinking it's junk.

So I click on one of the choices above that says: MARK AS:

It then gives a drop down box and usually has 5 choices. This time it has 6. Check out the last choice:

Unread
Read
Flagged
Unflagged
Phishing scam
My friend's been hacked!

Actually, I just checked it from another HOTMAIL account and DO see the same choice. I also checked from the first HOTMAIL account I found it in and if you click MARK AS: when you don't have any mail open, it shows it as normal, but if you open an email and while you're IN the email you click MARK AS:, it brings up that MY FRIEND'S BEEN HACKED! thing again. I opened up more than one email from different companies (and these are major hotel or airline companies) and it says the same thing.

Do you think it's a new HOTMAIL choice? Or that someone's playing games? I just reported it using the FEEDBACK button but doubt that will do anything and I don't dare click it.

Does anyone else have this same thing in any of their HOTMAIL accounts ONCE an email's been opened?

Tia
  • Mokoa
  • 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I have been using Hotmail for ten years and I have never seen that issue.
Did you recently test it on yours to see if it's doing it "now" with yours?

Just open up a piece of mail to read.
Click MARK AS (up near the top) and see what your drop down menu reads as.
It appeared for me a few days ago. At least, that is when I first noticed it. I think it is legit, but I wonder how they confirm someone was hacked? Maybe a certain amount prompts an account to shut down...?
Didn't notice that option.
But had my account hacked. Knew it by the emails it was sending to my other account and the CC address on it.

I should have paid attention to it and addressed the issue.

Now, that account is locked and I can't get into it. Can't remember the answer to my 10+ year old security question.

Change your password immediately!
Microsoft is in the process of upgrading Hotmail, so you will see changes in the format.

http://tech2.in.com/news/web-service...-hacked/230872

c.a.
It is a new feature from MS. Another source of information is here- written 7/14/11
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/h...g-feature/9044

I quit Hotmail years ago because the refused to address their spam mail issue.
Thanks to all who've commented and to Chainsaw and jframe for the links. How do you guys FIND those things? I don't like that idea where you can say your friend's account's been hacked and then Microsoft puts the FRIEND thru the rigors to get their account back to normal. If this means no access for a while or having to remember alternate email addresses or other things you had when you started the account, that's going to suck.
Thanks to all who've commented and to Chainsaw and jframe for the links. How do you guys FIND those things?... Originally Posted by tia travels
It's SHEER BRILLIANCE
or Google

Actually I first saw it mentioned by Kim Komando in one of her daily missives.

http://www.komando.com/?utm_medium=n...rchkomando_btn

c.a.