The Season of Giving

I don't know if this goes in coed or not but if it's the wrong area can the mods please move it to the right forum.

Through my commercial photography business I have been active in many charities and have donated both time and funds to causes such as the American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, Breast Cancer Awareness, Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention programs, and at risk youth programs.

I have noticed that there is a community feeling with the members of this site and I was wondering if there is a community drive for any particular charity during the holiday seasons here on eccie.

I have worked with SOB's in previous years to raise funds for various charities during the holiday season and I can honestly say it does not matter where donations come from, the needs exist and if we are able to assist those in need then that is all that matters.

I am contacting some of my charity partners and donation organizers now and what I wanted to know is, if there is an interest in doing some type of discrete donation drive - it can be toys, food, financial or whatever, but if we can do a discrete drive, would you all be interested in donating to a cause this holiday season.

Just throwing it out there as an idea. Thanks for reading.
A hobby website up north does a Toys for Tots drive and offers a discount for the guys at the door if they bring something to their Christmas party. That is pretty easy to organize but without a party it may be a bit hard.
A hobby website up north does a Toys for Tots drive and offers a discount for the guys at the door if they bring something to their Christmas party. That is pretty easy to organize but without a party it may be a bit hard. Originally Posted by KatieKatieNYC
I think I know which site you are talking about. I'm from the east coast and we used to do it there also. What I was thinking for this area is something where we have a cutoff date and collect toys and/or food. Providers can collect from their clients or however you all want to do it and at the cutoff date we have one drop point and deliver the items to the charity selected.

With the cutbacks that many of the community organizations have experienced recently I'm sure we could find one that we could all agree on and there are a lot of people that can benefit from our collective help.

I have noticed that there is a community feeling with the members of this site and I was wondering if there is a community drive for any particular charity during the holiday seasons here on eccie.
Originally Posted by DDBD Photography
No. These charities do not want to be associated with a hooker board. It blew up 2 years ago when a girl said she was gathering toys for tots. Eccie even went back and edited the girls ads to remove that information. Fox news went out to her house and contacted toys for tots. And that is not the only case of that happening, just the only one I can recall happening in Houston.

I do gather toys every year from my clients, but I hand them out on my own and do not donate to anyone organization in general.
I think I know which site you are talking about. I'm from the east coast and we used to do it there also. What I was thinking for this area is something where we have a cutoff date and collect toys and/or food. Providers can collect from their clients or however you all want to do it and at the cutoff date we have one drop point and deliver the items to the charity selected.

With the cutbacks that many of the community organizations have experienced recently I'm sure we could find one that we could all agree on and there are a lot of people that can benefit from our collective help. Originally Posted by DDBD Photography
I think I read somewhere that people here are a bit weary to donate to providers. Some may keep the "good ones", etc. I wouldn't trust it myself.

The donations would need to happen in a group setting. Nobody needs to know who the toys came from. A legit organization would be great. I like to choose something very local for kids in need where we are.

Sorry, Brooke, but donating to people you know is kind of weird. That is like me starting a drive and say I am donating 20% of my income to single moms in need and hand it over to my sisters.
No. These charities do not want to be associated with a hooker board. It blew up 2 years ago when a girl said she was gathering toys for tots. Eccie even went back and edited the girls ads to remove that information. Fox news went out to her house and contacted toys for tots. And that is not the only case of that happening, just the only one I can recall happening in Houston.

I do gather toys every year from my clients, but I hand them out on my own and do not donate to anyone organization in general. Originally Posted by Brooke Wild
Thanks for the feedback and you have a very valid point and I had those thoughts also which is why I said it would be a discrete drive and the donation can be anonymous - you don't have to mention where the items come from or who donated the items, simply drop them off and go.
I think I read somewhere that people here are a bit weary to donate to providers. Some may keep the "good ones", etc. I wouldn't trust it myself.

The donations would need to happen in a group setting. Nobody needs to know who the toys came from. A legit organization would be great. I like to choose something very local for kids in need where we are. Originally Posted by KatieKatieNYC
I agree some may be reluctant to donate because of that reason and that is one of the things I thought about also. If we could put it together, I agree a group setting would be ideal and I agree about doing something local that benefits the kids, that actually was my purpose in starting this discussion, something to benefit the kids that don't have to make it a little easier for them during the holidays.
Ummmmmm. You rock.
FancyInHeels does a drive this time of year for abused animals.....I am sure she would put any donation to good use
Ummmmmm. You rock. Originally Posted by PaulinaPayne
thank you and so do you...my camera misses you young lady
... I agree a group setting would be ideal .... Originally Posted by DDBD Photography
I recommend you get CDB to vet the attendees.
I recommend you get CDB to vet the attendees. Originally Posted by NorthWood
what's CDB

Sorry, Brooke, but donating to people you know is kind of weird. That is like me starting a drive and say I am donating 20% of my income to single moms in need and hand it over to my sisters. Originally Posted by KatieKatieNYC
I didn't say anything about people I "know" ... I said I do it on my own. Don't twist my words around. What you stated above, if done, would be a flat out scam.

I meant .... I am donating to homeless people on the street I have seen many times, or mothers/kids I know from homeless shelters in my area ... there is nothing weird about that.

By the way .... last year because of my "weird" ways, I was able to give out over a dozen jackets that my clients donated to me over a 2 month period.
^I wasn't sure what you meant. That is totally fine and very sweet.
Thanks for the feedback and you have a very valid point and I had those thoughts also which is why I said it would be a discrete drive and the donation can be anonymous - you don't have to mention where the items come from or who donated the items, simply drop them off and go. Originally Posted by DDBD Photography
Very true.