ECCIE Social?

• ztonk
  • 04-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Our hobby community is big enough to handle multiple social gatherings. Whispers' GC luncheons/dinners work for some, CK's socials work for some, and there have been other smaller gatherings that work for some. Sometimes those interests overlap, sometimes not.

If you're interested in hanging out with like-minded guys and girls, don't feel obligated to make it work for everyone. PM them, chat among yourselves, try something out, report back. Go out for drinks at a bar, catch an Express game, go listen to some live music. If you aren't interested, don't participate...

z
@TxToast-Sorry if you feel that I've "only added noise" or that I ignored your post. Maybe I didn't articulate my response well. As I stated several times here, my ONLY reason for putting forth the idea of a get together/social was to perhaps find a way to smooth over some of the bashing that had been going on amongst the various people. If you feel that this is "not about that or any other BBS" then you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Never was it my intention to have some kind of "mega-social" or to put anyone at risk.
Obviously there are some people here who thought that was an o.k. idea.
You have now posted two responses as to why you think it's a bad idea. After your first response, some people still expressed an interest in such an idea as I put forward. I'm sure people will read your address to everyone here and take what you've said into consideration. Personally, since you WILL put on a party this summer or the next, I wish you much success and hope they turn out as well as your socials did in PHX. I was also sincere when I stated that I think Whispers SC events are great fun and I certainly enjoyed the one I attended.
I recognize your right, Whispers right and anyone else's to view me as a risk because of my unproven status.
As I've stated though, in the end, it's up to individuals to make up their own mind. If I allow myself to be "vetted" it's with the providers of my choosing, not fellow hobbyists. With all due respect, that's simply a choice I make. Call it "noise", "BBS, or whatever else but unless ECCIE has a rule change I'm not aware of, that's the way I choose to participate here and will continue to do so.
Our hobby community is big enough to handle multiple social gatherings. Whispers' GC luncheons/dinners work for some, CK's socials work for some, and there have been other smaller gatherings that work for some. Sometimes those interests overlap, sometimes not.

If you're interested in hanging out with like-minded guys and girls, don't feel obligated to make it work for everyone. PM them, chat among yourselves, try something out, report back. Go out for drinks at a bar, catch an Express game, go listen to some live music. If you aren't interested, don't participate...

z Originally Posted by ztonk
Agreed and I will heed your advice!
Again you seem to miss the point entirely. The issue isn't a "social", in fact there are plenty of them already. It's how the knowledge is distributed and to who. We need look no further then Kelli and Natalies issues when they chose to publicize their recent social here. Going further a lot of guys who appear to be at odds on the various boards get along very well in person.

While i'd have no issue "shooting the @#$%" with Yssup or anyone else I occasionally tussle with I would not do so in a setting that I didn't trust. so if the social blindly lets people who are not well vetted attend then most of us will simply pass. So the answer to the question is as follows. There are socials, they are actually relatively well attended but they are not for public knowledge. The better the social the more discreet it will be...
DT, you are going on ad nauseum. Since you are ignoring every single bit of advice just go on and do it and quit talking incessantly about it.
Me and Kinky Kelly can provide the entertainment!
Hey PB, not sure what your issue is. Check my response to ztonk's post. Two posters made some insinuations and I answered them. Again, as it's been stated "ad nauseum", if you find this post frustrating or not to your liking, simply ignore it. Seems easy enough. Have a good weekend.
Again you seem to miss the point entirely. The issue isn't a "social", in fact there are plenty of them already. It's how the knowledge is distributed and to who. We need look no further then Kelli and Natalies issues when they chose to publicize their recent social here. Going further a lot of guys who appear to be at odds on the various boards get along very well in person.

While i'd have no issue "shooting the @#$%" with Yssup or anyone else I occasionally tussle with I would not do so in a setting that I didn't trust. so if the social blindly lets people who are not well vetted attend then most of us will simply pass. So the answer to the question is as follows. There are socials, they are actually relatively well attended but they are not for public knowledge. The better the social the more discreet it will be... Originally Posted by TxToast
Understood. Thank you!
On the other hand, if you're just looking to gather a few people, it can be done fairly easily. There were some pool hall gatherings a few months back without much vetting done, but those were in public settings with no expectations of who would be there.
On the other hand, if you're just looking to gather a few people, it can be done fairly easily. There were some pool hall gatherings a few months back without much vetting done, but those were in public settings with no expectations of who would be there. Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor
Thanks Rand Al'Thor. I probably should have never used the word "social" or titled the thread that in what I was trying to get across. What you're talking about is kind of what I had in mind and I lacked the ability to express that properly. That's why I couldn't understand why people were getting so upset over this issue. Surely a few people playing pool or having a drink at a bar while patching up some of the hard feelings that had occurred on the board couldn't be a bad thing. That was my mindset but as I said, I probably just didn't get that across in all the back and forth. Thanks.

With that Mods, let's close this thread. It has most definitely run it's course.
  • Vyt
  • 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Thread closed at OP request.