Favorite Bar

In responding to a thread about a trip to New Orleans, I suggested stopping by the Napoleon House on Chartres, one of my favorite bars. It then made me think of the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke. Joe Miller's in Dallas was a great place to go.

It is easy to find high profile, elegant bars and spend a fortune. An art form is finding a local bar that offers an elegance that can't be bought, merely earned.

Always looking for suggestions.
Chumleys in NY; old speakeasy; still has its two entrances (well exits is more apt). One entrance is through a courtyard. I think they have a phone now but for years didn't. I also think they may take credit cards but a few years back it was cash only.

It is easy to find high profile, elegant bars and spend a fortune. An art form is finding a local bar that offers an elegance that can't be bought, merely earned.

. Originally Posted by wgh1973
Couldn't agree more...

I could write a book.

If in Atlanta visit the "West Village" in Buckhead, home to some classics like Five Paces (or "5P's", as the the locals call it), Red Door, Churchill's, and half a dozen other places in about a 2 block area. That is where the locals go...not the cheeseball places the business travelers end up.
Completely agree with Chumley's

A favorite local spot if you are a soccer (or football!!) fan and find yourself in Manhattan, a trip to Nevada Smith's is a must. Although there may be a few business types that come into the bar, they act decidedly un-businesslike once the match starts.
Coyote Ugly San Antonio Texas on the Riverwalk.
If in Atlanta visit the "West Village" in Buckhead, home to some classics like Five Paces (or "5P's", as the the locals call it), Red Door, Churchill's, and half a dozen other places in about a 2 block area. That is where the locals go...not the cheeseball places the business travelers end up. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Is that near the new St Regis? Nice hotel btw.
Is that near the new St Regis? Nice hotel btw. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Yes. If you are at the valet stand across the street is a Whole Foods. Basically a block behind the WF.

BTW, the bar in the St. Regis is wonderful & I'd rate it highly, but doesn't fit the tone of this thread.
Some places that are interesting, but for different reasons:

Belgian Beer Cafe Bluestone in Melbourne Australia on the grounds of what was the Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind

Coop’s Place New Orleans A comment I read elsewhere was that Coop’s turned bad service into an art form. Although I’ve always experienced good service there.

Jacoby’s in Detroit.

Eisgrub-Bräu Mainz, Germany

The Ship, Marlow, UK
Blue Angel in Munich, not sure it still exists though. Strip joint and bar that only the locals really knew about. Good memories of a night a local took me there and we took 2 sisters home with us (unlike the sensual siters of ASPD they were real)
Completely agree with Chumley's

A favorite local spot if you are a soccer (or football!!) fan and find yourself in Manhattan, a trip to Nevada Smith's is a must. Although there may be a few business types that come into the bar, they act decidedly un-businesslike once the match starts. Originally Posted by nycflyer
Since it's World Cup time in 6 months I need to know where that is
Well, I don't need to know...but I'd really like to know. Please.

C x

C x Originally Posted by Camille
Google is a wonderful tool: http://www.nevadasmiths.net/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=17&iwloc=A

Google is a wonderful tool: http://www.nevadasmiths.net/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=17&iwloc=A

Originally Posted by pjorourke
I'm feeling lazy today PJ. Bite me.
In the sixties while attending Tulane I worked nights as a bar tender on Burbon Street at a Bar called Ivanhoe, met the Neville Brothers there before they made it big.

Always like the Old Absinthe House

Yaaaaaay! World Cup.

Which team do you cheer for (both club and world cup)?

I'm a fan of Brazil and Arsenal.

Why do I have a feeling Camille would make quite an impression on a weekend Morning watching "soccer" at an ex-Pat bar, particularly if she was a bit hungover?