"LIKE" button

What's the purpose of the LIKE button? Isn't that what the RATE THIS THREAD is for? What's the benefit?

Do we get an award for posting the most posts that most people have "liked"?

Are our names being posted somewhere that we liked some post?

Is this similar to the THANKS button on the Indys board?
Wondering about this myself.....
It makes me think facebook...

I'm not sure what I think of it yet... if it has a purpose, cool...
Becky suggested it to me.

She loves using the like button on Facebook and she asked me if I thought we could add a similar feature here....where members could acknowledge specific posts they think are well thought-out, well-written, abundantly entertaining, or just something they simply like or agree with....even if they don't feel like posting a reply to that post specifically.

Sounded like a great idea to me and something we could certainly figure out how to code into our existing vBulletin software, so here ya have it...the ECCIE Like button.

St. C

ps. sorry, no awards, no list of names....and no "dislike" button either.....just a simple like button for people who like to express themselves in a variety of ways.

.....and yes, it's sort of similar to "rate the thread" except that rating a thread is limited to the whole thread. There's really no way to single out, or in other words to give a little recognition or acknowledgement on the specific posts within a thread most deserving of it....and we all know that just about every thread has a brilliant post or two that can potentially make a thread worth reading or not.

and plus, when it comes to the writer of such 'masterpiece' posts....sometimes it just nice to know that somebody out there got your message loud and clear, or can relate to what you wrote......especially considering the effort that some of our members make in getting their point across. There's often some incredible posts which can be found nestled away on page 4 or 5 of a 9 or 10 page thread....this'll make identifying these types of posts....that readers can relate with....a little more fun, and alot easier to find.

hope this gives you a good idea about what we had in mind with this latest technical tweak on ECCIE...

hope you folks like it, and have a great weekend!

(hey, just noticed this is my 3000th post...cool!)
GO BECKY ! I Been Telling The People IN ARKANSAS WE NEEDED ONE!~ lol...
It could certainly limit the infamous +1 hahaha.
Cool feature...an easy way to acknowledge a good post with out bogging down the thread.
Cool feature

Thanks St.Chris and Becky.
When you click the "Like" button it redirects you back to the start of the Thread, instead of the post you liked...this could be annoying with a Thread that has several responses...
It could certainly limit the infamous +1 hahaha. Originally Posted by Eccie Addict
+1 LOL

But seriously, Facebook-ish. In that case, also put a dislike button, like YouTube.
It's kinda girly.