Not a Tux, but I need a suit

Ok folks; I need advice

I need to get a conservative suit in navy blue / gray /charcoal
I want to buy a good one that I can use for a while

Jos A Banks & the Mens Warehouse both have sales of buy 1 get 1 free...reading on line, people seem to trash both ??
Mens Warehouse has some Italian suits for $699 while Jos A Banks goes up to $1099, but made in China & Mexico

How do I go about getting a good suit?
Check out this website.

http://artofmanliness.com/

Then do a search on buying a suit. They have lots of info on buying a suit and getting it fitted. This website uses graphics from way back but the info is very current.
This discussion could easily degenerate into NPOA.

How much do you want to spend? You can pay anywhere from $500 to $5,000 for a quality suit.
^great site. I'm enjoying it.
Every week on the radio, "Friday and Saturday only! Buy one suit at regular price and get two!!!! suits of equal or lesser value free!!!!!"

We're talking off the rack suits here so I wouldn't get too hung up on the country of orgin. Most all suits are made in a 3rd world (I guess the PC term is "developing") country, including many famous names.

Heck a lot of "made to measure" suits are made in China & the labor savings makes them pretty comprable in price to off-the-rack at a department store.

One piece of advice: Make sure the suit fits. Have the suit altered so it fits. Well-fit can make even a relatively inexpensive suit look sharp.
^great site. I'm enjoying it. Originally Posted by SugarBeth
Sugar Beth the hijacker. Go play somewhere else

One piece of advice: Make sure the suit fits. Have the suit altered so it fits. Well-fit can make even a relatively inexpensive suit look sharp. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
ok

Check out this website.

http://artofmanliness.com/

Then do a search on buying a suit. They have lots of info on buying a suit and getting it fitted. This website uses graphics from way back but the info is very current. Originally Posted by JohnMacnab
cool site. thanks. easy to go off and read all kinds of interesting stuff

How much do you want to spend? You can pay anywhere from $500 to $5,000 for a quality suit. Originally Posted by pjorourke
around $1000 or a bit more hoping it will last a while
; I need advice

Jos A Banks & the Mens Warehouse..... people seem to trash both ?? Originally Posted by shaft.drive
One piece of advice: Make sure the suit fits. Have the suit altered so it fits. Well-fit can make even a relatively inexpensive suit look sharp. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
ok

Originally Posted by shaft.drive
Forgive me for being Captain Obvious....

How much do you want to spend? Originally Posted by pjorourke

around $1000 or a bit more hoping it will last a while Originally Posted by shaft.drive
....at the time I thought you were were shopping off the buy one get two free rack....

As an aside, I haven't been in JA Bank in years, but always thought it had a pretty decent reputation: kind of a notch or so below Brooks Bros. but quality, conservative, timeless classics (maybe the kind of suit the OP is looking for???).

Now I hear all of this ultra heavy discounting and IMO they have totally killed whatever brand they had.
Outlets are now selling suits for great prices.
I know a couple of guys who used to have Armani suits made ( around $5k a pop at the time) and now buy Boss etc off the peg at outlet stores. They claim with tailoring there really isnt that much difference in quality...the difference is in price. Like ATL said, take it to a tailor and you are all set. I don't know what build you are but you need to figure out who designers are generally aiming to fit if you are going that route. For example Armani and Boss are a better fit for men with broad shoulders/chest. D & G fit very slender men. If you know that it just cuts down a bit on time spent at the right outlet stores.

By the way, most designer and brand names manufacture in China now so I wouldn't worry too much about quality if it's a known brand. Just be careful of garments madecin Sri lanka/Phillipines and Indonesia. Regulations on labor and product law the are atrocious. Good luck and come back and let us know how you did???

C xxx
Forgive me for being Captain Obvious....
....at the time I thought you were were shopping off the buy one get two free rack....

As an aside, I haven't been in JA Bank in years, but always thought it had a pretty decent reputation: kind of a notch or so below Brooks Bros. but quality, conservative, timeless classics (maybe the kind of suit the OP is looking for???).
Now I hear all of this ultra heavy discounting and IMO they have totally killed whatever brand they had. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
No worries; I just want something decent

There is a Brooks Brothers outlet close to where I am....and they seem to have a couple of lines for for slim people - the Milano & the Fitzgerald!!!

For example Armani and Boss are a better fit for men with broad shoulders/chest. D & G fit very slender men. If you know that it just cuts down a bit on time spent at the right outlet stores.

By the way, most designer and brand names manufacture in China now so I wouldn't worry too much about quality if it's a known brand. Just be careful of garments madecin Sri lanka/Phillipines and Indonesia. Regulations on labor and product law the are atrocious. Good luck and come back and let us know how you did??? Originally Posted by Camille
Slender....don't know if I will find a D&G, but will look. ..& report back.
Thanks...I do need a tall drink of water!!
Also, check out Zegna's Z line. Its in your price range and cut with a thinner look. Zegna makes great fabrics.
I hear the Z Zegna are fused suits. Is the fusing process proven now? no bubbling after a few dry cleans etc.?
I hear that it is pretty good. Most suits in the price range you are looking will be fused.
Outlets are now selling suits for great prices.
I know a couple of guys who used to have Armani suits made ( around $5k a pop at the time) and now buy Boss etc off the peg at outlet stores.
C xxx Originally Posted by Camille
Filene's Basement and Marshalls every so often have quality stuff. A bunch of years ago at a Marshalls local to me they had stuff from Barneys. It was a bit of a feeding frenzy. Me charging through at the head of the pack. I went back the next day most of the good stuff was gone.

Also, check out Zegna's Z line. Its in your price range and cut with a thinner look. Zegna makes great fabrics. Originally Posted by pjorourke
No Z line for me. Alas the thinner cuts were viable about 30 years ago. SRO doesn't miss too many meals these days.
Filene's Basement and Marshalls every so often have quality stuff. Originally Posted by SR Only
Sometimes you get lucky. I was killing time in an outlet while my wife shopped and I found an Oxxford navy pinstripe suit in my size for $600 (regularly about $4K). Even though I had two perfectly good high quality navy pinstripes hanging in my closet, I had to buy it. Of course, the wife says similar things about shoes.

No Z line for me. Alas the thinner cuts were viable about 30 years ago. Originally Posted by SR Only
Word! I prefer the Zegna line anyway.
Sometimes you get lucky. I was killing time in an outlet while my wife shopped and I found an Oxford navy pinstripe suit in my size for $600 (regularly about $4K). Even though I had two perfectly good high quality navy pinstripes hanging in my closet, I had to buy it. Originally Posted by pjorourke
This is NOT going to sound right: "We should go shopping together." Told ya it wasn't gonna sound good. Now if I could find Armani for six bills.

Should I move this to "Another Realm?"