Holland Taylor as Ann Richards

Went to the Paramount tonight and saw Holland Taylor's one-woman show of Ann Richards.

She was marvelous. And though I don't know who wrote the show, I was awestruck at how well Taylor -- whom I'd NEVER peg as Ann Richards -- captured the characteristics, mannerisms and overall aura of perhaps the most charismatic governors in Texas history.

I had the fortune of having spent time with Gov.Richards in and out of polite company and I've gotta say that our state has never been the same since her election... for once we had a state government that looked and acted (perhaps as fucked up) like the people of our state.

I remember Ann Richards as someone who wasn't a career politician but someone who had the balls to chase Henry Cisneros out of the game. She might not have been in office that long -- hell we were already a Red state when she was elected -- but she was meaner than a snake and motivated people. Her administration will never go down as the most successful in history (Texas brought down big tobacco but all the prosecutors went to jail for being corrupt douchebags!) but boy were we proud to be Texans!

Since then we've had Bush (who was a decent Governor because Bob Bullock kept his ass in line and his mouth shut) and Perry (who has plunged our state into the abyss).

Did either of those men -- or Mark White or Bill Clements, or Dolph Briscoe or whoever besides John Connolly -- make you proud to live in Texas?

Anyway, Holland Taylor was a great Ann Richards and it was a wonderful theatrical production.

I wish Texas had something/someone to inspire us again.

Don't you?
Thanks for the review, was surprised to hear about the show.

Don't really remember too much about her. What do you recall as some of Richards' greatest accomplishments as governor?

Agree that Holland Taylor is an excellent actress.
Well I remember that she trimmed more "fat" from Texas government bureaucracy than just about anybody else in state history, yet added jobs. State economy grew during her term while the rest of the nation's shrunk -- nothing surprising there, though.

The Lottery was passed and enacted under her ... though the Legislature has pissed that away rather than using it as intended to help fund public schools. The Robin Hood public school finance program was enacted, which pissed off everybody in the state who wasn't poor but helped a lot of school districts stay afloat during the rise of "Gingrichism"

Proof of auto liability insurance. That was her, too.

And, oh yeah, some shit about designed to keep semi-automatic weapons off the streets... and a lot of prison reform.

Though there isn't a LOT a governor is allowed to DO in Texas, a lot of important, game-changing legislation was passed and signed by her pen.
I'm so glad you go to see that performance. I have been wanting to attend for months, but I don't have tickets, and I am afraid I am running out of time. Her last show is tomorrow.

I think, but I may be wrong, that Holland taylor wrote the one-woman show. She has been in the austin area for a couple of years working on it.

thank you for your review. I loved ol Ann too!

peace,
Crystal
Kitty she did write it. Made it even more amazing.
  • Sabor
  • 05-08-2011, 07:21 PM
After Ann's governor stint and during her "silver foot" tour I met her on an SWA flight when she sat right behind my son and I. A true person of the people who took the time to speak to me and my young son.
After Ann's governor stint and during her "silver foot" tour I met her on an SWA flight when she sat right behind my son and I. A true person of the people who took the time to speak to me and my young son. Originally Posted by Sabor
Indeed, she was an amazing lady!
And Ann wouldn't hesitate to ask you if you were still fucking (bleeps).