there oughta be a law

There already is law on this.

Renee Richards successfully sued the US Tennis Association back in the 70's for not allowing her to enter the US Open after she had Male-to-Female reassignment surgery. Richards went on to have a pretty good career in tennis. IIRC she won a doubles title once (and no, that's not a pun).

I'm actually surprised that the LPGA stood their ground on this given the previous lawsuit. If I recall the Richards case was a state court decision (New York I believe) so it doesn't apply in California. Even so, the precedent set forty years ago is going to be hard for the court to ignore.

The men's pro golf tour was also successfully sued for discriminating against handicapped players by Casey Martin. Martin had a birth defect that made him unable to walk the course. The courts ruled that allowing him to use a cart was a reasonable accommodation. Although it's not on point about gender issues that case at least establishes that the pro tours are not exempt from federal anti-discrimination laws simply because they are contests of physical skill.

I honestly don't understand the LPGA's stance on this one. They may be putting up a fuss for sponsorship reasons. I really can't see a legal theory that lets them win in this case. I suspect that they are just making a brave stand in order to placate their right-of-center customer base and their advertisers. I have not read the case materials, though, so maybe somebody else here knows more.

As far as it being "fair", well, that's not a subject a lawyer should be opining on . . . .

Cheers,
Mazo.
Maybe in pro sports, people think it's unfair for an athlete who is born male to compete against people who are born female because of the potential discrepancy in size/strength? Most transwomen are taller, broader shouldered, etc. Even if you're on a full dose of female hormones, I wonder if it's possible to tweak your dosage so that it's most advantageous for athletic performance? But I'm just guessing, I have no idea.
there is a very good documentary concerning these issues called "100% woman". it involves the sport of women's pro mountain biking and probes the issues.
Thanks, Missi! I'd be interested to see that.
is this fair?, if so, fair to whom?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...-sues-lpga-ncx Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Must be a Tiger joke in there somewhere. PJ? Oh, PPPPJJJJJJ?
Actually, a trannie would fit right in on the LPGA.
Actually, a trannie would fit right in on the LPGA. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Truer words...
Actually, a trannie would fit right in on the LPGA. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Truer words... Originally Posted by FLWrite
lol

The thing folks have to remember is these leagues are independent bodies that set their own eligibility standards....as long as they are fairly applied who are we to tell them what to do?

The NBA won't let 18 year old heterosexuals play until they spend a year in one of our Universities (or sit out a year and go to Europe)

THe Track & Field governing body won't let a kid with an artificial leg compete...who are we to argue?
So why is there an LPGA in the first place? Can't women enter the PGA events? Is the US Open tournament open to women? Do women try to enter that tournament? I don't know much about golf.
Can't women enter the PGA events? Originally Posted by ICU 812
Yes, if they qualify and/or get a sponsor. Michelle Wie played in a couple of tournaments. Anika Sorenstam played in one or two. There may have been others.

Generally, they can't qualify because they don't play as well as the guys (or maybe more accurately, hit the ball as far.)

Generally, they can't qualify because they don't play as well as the guys (or maybe more accurately, hit the ball as far.) Originally Posted by pjorourke
But this rapidly changing.

As with most other things in life, women had few incentives or opportunities to build skill and strength in golf from an early age. They also got held back by technology in balls and clubs that developed quickly for the big hitters on the men's tour, but did little for the slower swing speed on the LPGA. The women's tour compensated by just playing shorter course.

Now things are a changin'.

With women getting into the game earlier and playing college golf the ladies are catching up fast. Manufacturers are also finally bringing in clubs designed for women and their unique anatomies and lower swing speeds.

Average drive distances on the LPGA are now up past 250 yards - not all that different from the 287 on the men's tour. There will always be men who can blast it a lot farther than that, but I believe Michelle Wie is now averaging over 280 so she's already outhitting guys like Corey Pavin and Jose Olazabal on a daily basis.

Yes kids, Title IX is working. Women are catching up. Another ten years and I think you'll see the PGA and LPGA playing essentially the same game.

'bout time.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Yes kids, Title IX is working. . Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Seriously?
Seriously? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Define "working"
Yes, if they qualify and/or get a sponsor. Michelle Wie played in a couple of tournaments. Anika Sorenstam played in one or two. There may have been others.

Generally, they can't qualify because they don't play as well as the guys (or maybe more accurately, hit the ball as far.) Originally Posted by pjorourke
Michelle or Anika can hit my balls any day.