Marriage Anyone????

Comments?
  • MrGiz
  • 11-26-2010, 09:34 PM
LOL Mr. Giz!

Is marriage obsolete? I don't think so for most, but it is for me. I am absolutely done getting married.
LOL Mr. Giz!

Is marriage obsolete? I don't think so for most, but it is for me. I am absolutely done getting married. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
Lucky.
No, I love sex too much to get married right now, but thx for asking.
I am absolutely done getting married.

Hello! Could not agree more. That noose is just so uncomfortable.
I don't think lawyers and government have any place getting involved in romantic affairs.

Ultimately a marriage license is about assets and inheritance. Mixing business and love is questionable in any other context as far as society is concerned - why it's acceptable under the guise of marriage is beyond me.

I feel such considerations are only appropriate if there are children involved and if a couple makes a conscious choice that one party will be a full time homemaker (meaning they have no work experience if the marriage ends).

If you choose to be with someone forever, and you mean it, you don't need a piece of paper legally obliging you to stay.
For the first time ever, I actually bought the magazine I was reading while in line at the supermarket. This month's Time was great!

Personally, I believe marriage is rapidly loosing it's significance in society. Out of my circles of civie friends, the only girls who got married are the wretched, obsessive, controlling bitchmonsters that no man in his right mind would sit through dinner with (but they're totally insane fun once we start mixing drinks - of course, we can only drink fruity girly cocktails with them, no beer or shots), who are married to quiet, generic gentlemen that are apparently never allowed to leave the house (or else we all hear our bitchy friend screaming for hours until we manage to slip the cell phone out of their hands and quietly replace it with a cosmo. They call the drink an insensitive pig, and then slowly start to relax). The rest of us, no marriage, though we've all shacked up, shared mortgages, had kids (not me, my dog doesn't like crying babies), left our significant others as beneficiaries on our accounts, and signed medical proxies. Just like marriage, without the divorce.

People younger, it appears they don't even date. To hear about it from my siblings, it's like a lifetime of one night stands. Two people find themselves bored, have sex, and don't really speak to each other again (unless they're friends) until they both find themselves bored, horny and in close proximity to each other. To them, boyfriends/girlfriends are something that you hold hands with in kindergarten, and marriage is something their parents keep doing.

~Mme X~
No kidding Ms Olivia! The single life is completely satisfying for me!

LOL Mr. Giz!

Is marriage obsolete? I don't think so for most, but it is for me. I am absolutely done getting married. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
After 4 times I have come to believe that it is the unnatural state of mankind.

There should be a chip that could be implanted or an ID card issued and it would prevent those from every making the commitment or lack thereof.
After 4 times I have come to believe that it is the unnatural state of mankind.

There should be a chip that could be implanted or an ID card issued and it would prevent those from every making the commitment or lack thereof. Originally Posted by catnipdipper
Uh, ya, that should be enough.

Madame X, you are hilarious.

I totally agree that a piece of paper isn't going to keep anyone anywhere they don't want to be, if they have the balls to embrace change and walk. My sister is getting a divorce and it is so difficult on her 6 year old and on his family! I agree it is becoming a dated, obsolete institiution. What's wrong with a good LLC, just like any other partnership?
  • 11-30-2010, 08:10 AM
in the very mortal words of Sartre: "Let's sign a two-year lease."
Uh, ya, that should be enough.

Madame X, you are hilarious.

I totally agree that a piece of paper isn't going to keep anyone anywhere they don't want to be, if they have the balls to embrace change and walk. My sister is getting a divorce and it is so difficult on her 6 year old and on his family! I agree it is becoming a dated, obsolete institiution. What's wrong with a good LLC, just like any other partnership? Originally Posted by ClairJordan
I don't care what you call it: marriage, partnership, arrangement, LLC; if you decide to have a child together it should be at least an 18-20 year commitment to each other.

I know there are some great step-parents, single parents, extended family caregivers (e.g. grandparents) out there and great people that come from broken homes (so there is no need to chime in with your annecdotes), but let's face it: it isn't ideal, particularly from the kid's standpoint.
Monogamy is not a natural state for humans, so the basic premise of marriage seems to be flawed, IMHO. And since it is much easier to dissolve an LLC, Clair may have the right idea, especially if it has provisions regarding the welfare of any progeny, a la Lauren's comment. Pretty much every truly successful relationship I have encountered had little or nothing to do with a license of any sort, actually.

As one lady friend of mine remarked, "Every girl wants a wedding, but no woman really wants to be married!" And no guys I ever knew truly wanted to be monogamous for life, so marriage seems to have some significant hindrances to success before it ever gets started.

my $.02
Marriage obsolete? Hm, I think it works for some. Not for me. Took me about 6 years into mine to finally admit it to myself. Now I just have to wait till the time is right to extricate myself while minimizing the fallout. Then after that's done...NEVER AGAIN!!!