Liberals or Conservatives

• oden
  • 11-28-2010, 09:15 PM
If you haven't read any of their posts, can you say for sure if you are with a politically liberal or conservative leaning person? If so, what is the tell?
Ask them if they like GWB or Obama ... scratch that they might say they dislike both. lol
If you haven't read any of their posts, can you say for sure if you are with a politically liberal or conservative leaning person? If so, what is the tell? Originally Posted by oden
"For sure?" -- of course not? Remember never judge a book by its cover

That said let me use everyone's favorite word on here, profiling.

What context do we have? Just give me appearance (approx. age, race, dress, general health), location, and any special circumstances (like the Young Republicans are holding their annual convention down the street) & I could bat at least 75-80% without ever talking to them. Say we were sitting on a bench in a local mall or park. I could also hit pretty well on whether or not they voted in the last election.

Let me talk to them...say have lunch with them (e.g. "a date") and hit at least 95% without overtly asking them what what their ideology is (or who they voted for, etc.)

Let me talk to them...say have lunch with them (e.g. "a date") and hit at least 95% without overtly asking them what what their ideology is (or who they voted for, etc.) Originally Posted by atlcomedy
You hit 95% of your lunch dates? You sir, are my hero.
There are a lot of liberals here in Austin. They are very whiny and get bent out of shape very easily. They worship President Obama and to question any of his policies is thought of as blasphemy.
Ask them if they like GWB or Obama ... scratch that they might say they dislike both. lol Originally Posted by discreetgent
That wouldn't work. Many conservatives are pissed off at W for the excessive spending and many liberals are pissed off at Omama because he didn't spend enough.
That wouldn't work. Many conservatives are pissed off at W for the excessive spending and many liberals are pissed off at Omama because he didn't spend enough. Originally Posted by pjorourke
So what you're saying is that the difference between liberals and conservatives comes down to how the government spends money.

IMHO, I think the issues are much broader (and more serious) than that. Don't get me wrong...money is important. As the song goes, it make the world go 'round. But is it the most important thing? No. And is it the seminal issue that separates conservatives from liberals? No, again. What separates conservatives from liberals is a very complex set of priorities and beliefs.
That wouldn't work. Many conservatives are pissed off at W for the excessive spending and many liberals are pissed off at Omama because he didn't spend enough. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Hey PJ, which part of "they might dislike them both" did you miss?
I provided more specificity.
I suspect that TexTushHog is a bit of a liberal. . .

Is this an example of his tell?

http://www.eccie.net/showpost.php?p=794079&postcount=6
I suspect that TexTushHog is a bit of a liberal. . Originally Posted by ANONONE
And you would be correct.
My Political Views - I am a left social libertarian Originally Posted by TexTushHog
TexTushHog and several others, including myself, posted our political biases @ http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=127268
If you haven't read any of their posts, can you say for sure if you are with a politically liberal or conservative leaning person? If so, what is the tell? Originally Posted by oden
Most of my business associates today, based on recent personal experiences, tend to be more liberal than I am. Thus, it is my habit to assume that new people I meet are also more liberal, unless they are wearing a military uniform or some insignia indicating prior service.

The Dogfaces and Jarheads I know, tend to hold beliefs and values that are similar or more conservative than mine. Squids are on both sides of the political fence; whereas, Flyboys tend to be, IMO, a little more liberal. In addition to uniforms or insignia (pins, tattoos, etc.), former military personnel often comport themselves differently and sometimes employ jargon when speaking.

For instance, I once was in an office when a 40ish something man entered and asked for the "head." Almost everybody in the office pointed towards the boss's office door. Myself and one other guy pointed to the "Men's Room," which is what he - a former Marine - really wanted.

These are just some the "tells" (or absence there of) I notice to form an initial opinion. Yet, it's only through listening to a person express his or her opinion that I really begin to understand where he or she stands politically.
TexTushHog and several others, including myself, posted our political biases @ http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=127268 Originally Posted by I B Hankering
I doubt this score will surprise anyone here:

You are a far-right social libertarian.
Right: 8.75, Libertarian: 4.32
Attached Images File Type: gif 38x29.gif (2.4 KB, 211 views)
When PJ sleeps, I'm sure he dreams in charts & graphs.
Why is it that people can only see the current political system as two parties or ideologies? There are several different party affiliations and ideologies.

As a libertarian (not to be affiliated with the party) I believe in true fiscal responsibility and freedom where I'm not being told by a government bureaucrat who, what, when, or how.

i.e., individual accountability and fiscal sanity.