MODS: Is there a rule that threads die after 30 days?

I see a lot of threads that come back to life after thirty days. The question is: Is this OK, or do the Mods expect for a thread to stay open for 30 days, then members are supposed to refrain from posting; or is it OK to continue to post ad infinitum?
The post can live forever if someone posts on it at least every 29 days. Do NOT bump threads that have not been posted on in the last 30 days. That can earn points.

Chipper
Thx. for the clarification.
The post can live forever if someone posts on it at least every 29 days. Do NOT bump threads that have not been posted on in the last 30 days. That can earn points.

Chipper Originally Posted by chipper
Since we actually have working tech support on our new home here vs. other places, maybe they should consider automatically lock threads after 30 days.

It might help out for the next squirrel invasion.
I suppose the 30-day rule is necessary, but it's unfortunate. Some of my favorite threads on another board are classics that get bumped after lying dormant for months or even years.
I suppose the 30-day rule is necessary, but it's unfortunate. Some of my favorite threads on another board are classics that get bumped after lying dormant for months or even years. Originally Posted by chicagoboy
I agree, I never understood getting points for commenting on an old thread that has become relevant again. Though most times I use the "new posts" links to read the latest posts, I sometimes check on posts I previously replied to check for any replies. Sometime I forget I replied and someone posts a question which I can answer but its been awhile.
Question: If a thread tomorrow is 35 days old and someone bumps it, and then I comment (or add a link), is that a pointable offense? For everyone who comments on what should have been a dead thread?
Guys, we will have a relaxed approach towards this. No need to sweat it too much. There may be times that somebody adds relevant info to a thread beyond the 30 days that's perfectly acceptable. The ones that concern us are the ones that the topics been DEAD for 30+ days, and somebody comes along and says "great review" or some other insignificant remark. In those cases, the offender will be bludgeoned to death and assigned a few points for good measure.

St. C
Guys, we will have a relaxed approach towards this. No need to sweat it too much. There may be times that somebody adds relevant info to a thread beyond the 30 days that's perfectly acceptable. The ones that concern us are the ones that the topics been DEAD for 30+ days, and somebody comes along and says "great review" or some other insignificant remark. In those cases, the offender will be bludgeoned to death and assigned a few points for good measure.

St. C Originally Posted by St.Christopher
Fair enough, I definitely don't support padding the post count but every once in awhile new info can be added to an old thread.