I Am Embarrassed: The World Is Watching

Elections: I am Embarrassment and Anger

Election day 2020 has come and gone, but the election is not yet over. The post election day turmoil has left me again embarrased and angry. The final outcomes may be cheering or disapointing to me, but the process will leave me with long lingering embarrasment and anger.

The United States should be a shing excam,ple of how a fair election is conducted. An unimpeachable example for every nation in the world. There should be little question of fraud, chicanery or any appearence of cheating by any campaigne, candfidate, party or by individual voters acting alone or in ccolusion with otherrs.

I am in favor of up-dated registered voter rolls. I am in favor of positive identification of voters as they cast their vote. I am in favor of encouraging in-person voting, while providing for limited mail in voting for absentee voters and shut-ins. I am in favor of a robust chain of custody for cast ballots. I am in favor of a rapid compilqation of ballots and votes. The details are negotiable.

I am aware that each State is granted the right to legislate their own election rules by the Constitution. Yet there must be a way to create a general nation-wide structure for elections that is fair, secure, and enforceable by federal authorities, that never-the-less does not abuse the constitutional provision for state's rights regarding elections.

The world is watching what is happening now and what will happen in the near future. We cannot have another election resolved as happened in 2002. Twenty some odd years later we have yet another contested outcome, and it will have to play out. Whatever the final outcomes, we as a nation, cannot let this or anything like it happen again.
You should be embarrassed that the president is attacking the best and most stable election system in the world with claims of fraud (unsupported) and that the election is being stolen from him (a blatant lie) and that he’s not committed to conceding (which everyone before him has done). And that legislators who know better (Cruz and Graham) are perpetuating the lie. That’s the embarrassment.
The world watched while we had a moron as President....
The world just witnessed us making America great again.
we are a laughing stock due to the way the elections are conducted. we look like crooked 3rd world countries.
we are a laughing stock due to the way the elections are conducted. we look like crooked 3rd world countries. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
False. But believe what you want. We were the laughing stock of the world through all of Trumps presidency. Hell world leaders at multiple meetings and the UN were seen laughing at Trump.
I write with respect for those who have a political point of view different from my own.

The respondents so far have missed the point of the OP: The process is the point.

After the Bush/Gore election in2002 and now the on-going Biden/Trump post election counting, we, as a Nation, need a more uniform, more well defined system for electing public officials. I understand that The Constitution gives each state the right to set up the way elections are conducted. Yet, there must be a way to pass state laws or amend the Constitution to bring the methodology of elections in each state into a more uniform and well defined congruency.

There should be little variance in how absentee ballots are handled. There should be no question as to the identity of a potential voter. Ballot processing and vote counting should be transparent and open to public scrutiny . . etc.

The USA should be the gold standard exemplar to the rest of the world when it comes to voting.

The USA should be the gold standard exemplar to the rest of the world when it comes to voting. Originally Posted by ICU 812

It should have been done after the last election. This was his chance. But he knew he wouldn't win that way.

Will Mitch McConnell continue to block restoration of the Voting Rights Act?

https://www.facingsouth.org/2020/08/...ing-rights-act

While Congress changed the VRA's preclearance formula over the years, at the time of the Shelby ruling it relied on data from the 1975 reauthorization to determine which jurisdictions would be covered. Jurisdictions were also allowed to "bail out" of preclearance requirements if they could prove no voting discrimination for 10 years. As of 2013, the formula covered nine states as a whole: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia. It also covered dozens of counties and municipalities in California, Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, and South Dakota.

We cannot have another election resolved as happened in 2002. Originally Posted by ICU 812
After the Bush/Gore election in2002 Originally Posted by ICU 812

Bush/Gore election was 2000.
The process worked exactly as it should.

If you and conservatives really cared about the process you wouldn’t try to suppress votes. You would come out and admit that voter fraud is a lie. You would make voting simpler for people and put in all the safeguards that might be required.

This all happened because the President and his lackeys in congress and the right wing press and his political appointees set out to try to - during a global pandemic - force people to show up at polls so they could actively disenfranchise voters by 1) limiting poll access 2) limiting machines, 3) closing polling sites l, etc.

mail in voting bypassed those measures so the president and the lackeys went about railing against the process, slowing the mail and any other measure they could.

If there was a legitimate concern, months ago, when congress was asking for billions to help the states with elections by mail or whatever process could work with additional security and possibly adding weeks to early voting or prioritizing mail ballots for delivery or allowing some early processing and addition of more mail vote counting machines, there could have been same day counting of a vastly larger number of votes. Ohio did it because they were able to count votes beginning at 1201 Tuesday morning while others were in person voting.

The embarrassment is that one party is invested in a strategy of limiting legal voting as a method of attempting to hold power rather than expanding voting in hopes that more of their voters will show up.

Had the president and the republicans in congress taken Up the mantle of “increased participation “ he may have been re-elected.
You should be embarrassed that the president is attacking the best and most stable election system in the world with claims of fraud (unsupported) and that the election is being stolen from him (a blatant lie) and that he’s not committed to conceding (which everyone before him has done). And that legislators who know better (Cruz and Graham) are perpetuating the lie. That’s the embarrassment. Originally Posted by 1blackman1
It use to be, but not any more. In the elections in the future if a Republican candidate becomes too popular they'll do the same thing to that candidate as they did to Trump. Expect that.
Elections: I am Embarrassment and Anger

Election day 2020 has come and gone, but the election is not yet over. The post election day turmoil has left me again embarrased and angry. The final outcomes may be cheering or disapointing to me, but the process will leave me with long lingering embarrasment and anger.

The United States should be a shing excam,ple of how a fair election is conducted. An unimpeachable example for every nation in the world. There should be little question of fraud, chicanery or any appearence of cheating by any campaigne, candfidate, party or by individual voters acting alone or in ccolusion with otherrs.

I am in favor of up-dated registered voter rolls. I am in favor of positive identification of voters as they cast their vote. I am in favor of encouraging in-person voting, while providing for limited mail in voting for absentee voters and shut-ins. I am in favor of a robust chain of custody for cast ballots. I am in favor of a rapid compilqation of ballots and votes. The details are negotiable.

I am aware that each State is granted the right to legislate their own election rules by the Constitution. Yet there must be a way to create a general nation-wide structure for elections that is fair, secure, and enforceable by federal authorities, that never-the-less does not abuse the constitutional provision for state's rights regarding elections.

The world is watching what is happening now and what will happen in the near future. We cannot have another election resolved as happened in 2002. Twenty some odd years later we have yet another contested outcome, and it will have to play out. Whatever the final outcomes, we as a nation, cannot let this or anything like it happen again. Originally Posted by ICU 812

Contested outcome?
It use to be, but not any more. In the elections in the future if a Republican candidate becomes too popular they'll do the same thing to that candidate as they did to Trump. Expect that. Originally Posted by Levianon17
It was stable in 2016, when Trump squeaked out a win, then got Clinton's concession, but in 2020 when Biden wins more decisively, the system is rigged and corrupt.

Got it.