US -- Are we int'l assassins?

okay, let me preface this with -- being a native texan, it goes without saying that i believe in removing these brutal despots....but my kneejerk reaction when i heard Gaddafi was "offed" this a.m. was "is it our place to act as assassins for all the assholes in the world?"

probability -- there will be hundreds right behind him that will fight for that same power, isn't it rather a pyrrhic victory when we off these guys?

i don't know...i'm just a simple country gal...voicing her thoughts...

i'd love to hear others' thoughts on this....hmmmm
It was reported to be a NATO air strike - we didn't act alone.
We didn't do it - his own people did. Originally Posted by trynagetlaid
weren't we kinda' lookin' for him....to that same end?

good riddance, i say..

and wasn't there a recent fella we kinda' "offed"....hmmmm

think his name was Bin Laden or somethin' like that....

winks....
Sorry MariaElena. I was sitting here watching the news and changed my post.

In reality, I wish we didn't have any business in that part of the world, but unfortunately we are dependent on their oil. Those people have been murdering and oppressing each other since the beginning of civilization, and nothing we do over there will ever stop it. We get involved in their conflicts under the guise of removing murderous dictators, but the next guy will be just as bad.
you're right, tryin....

i'm interested to see some of the feedback we get on this thread....

it's almost like the whack-a-mole game...removing these folks, don't ya think?

the horror is the carnage they leave in their wake....

maybe it's as simple as these are lessons we learn while in the journey of life?

heck if i know....
President Reagan first banned assassination by EO (confirmed by Ford & Carter):
“Prohibition on Assassination. No person employed by or acting on behalf of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, assassination.” Section 2.12 of the order prohibits indirect participation in activities prohibited by the order, stating: “Indirect participation. No agency of the Intelligence Community shall participate in or request any person to undertake activities forbidden by this Order.” E.O. 12333 is still in force.
A 6 page dissertation on this issue can be found here: www.fas.org/irp/crs/RS21037.pdf

Edit: Obviously, President Obama has altered these orders.
I totally disagree with the methodology
this administration has used vis-a-vis
the oversea contingency operations.

Our military SOG has executed HVT's that
were already detained and in custody by
order of the POTUS.

Our military has executed an American
citizen; without a trial or hearing-
by order of the POTUS.

This is not how Americans fight
or pursue justice. This is com-bloc
methodology. The heavy hand
of tyranny.

How long before we're next?
Moved from Main Discussion
Well, at least Libya can now have the freedom and democracy they have yearned for for centuries. Yeah, right.
Well, at least Libya can now have the freedom and democracy they have yearned for for centuries. Yeah, right. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Since the days of aristocratic rule by the Carthaginians - unless you factor in the freedom they enjoyed as pirates.
Bloodied but not dead: last moments of former Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi following fall of Sirte

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-of-Sirte.html
Can't wait to see the vibrant democracy and civil rights which will arise in the absence of Qaddafi.
Now don't worry COG, John McCain will show them how and Lindsay Graham too.

We helped overthrow his government but the Rebels did the actual deed. Kinda like Mussolini at the time.
John McCain and Lindsey Graham are part of the elitists puppets. Why do you assume I support them? Do YOU think a democratic government that respects human rights will arise in Libya? Then you probably believe the hooktards when they tell you that you are sexy and well hung.