Need Some Advice On Allergies...

I'm about going crazy with my allergies this week...mostly, it's in my eyes. They're very itchy and it's causing the skin around my eyelids to swell and flake...and it's hot to the touch...very sexy, huh?

Is anyone else having any allergy issues...what do you think is causing this...and does anyone have any remedies? This is costing me more than aggravation as I've had to cancel all appointments this week because of it...PLEASE HELP!!
Eating local honey is supposed to help
I know it won't help you much this season, but maybe you ought to try allergy shots.
I was skeptical about them, but my mountain cedar was so bad, I felt I had little to lose. So I started on them. It really helped. I no longer dread this time of the year and cedar fever. What a relief!
Well I'm assuming your allergic to the cedar pollen. Sorry I don't have an immediate solution, and this will sound weird but it works as I know a lot of ranchers in the hill country. In the spring or summer they pick a lot of the cedar berries off of the cedar tress and smash them into a fine powder. Then they will start mixing a teaspoon full of it with there coffee in the morning or whatever your drink of choice is. This kind of gives you an immunity to cedar, you might still have some effects on real windy dry days but it won't be near as bad. You can also go to a local feed store or wherever someone sells local made honey and mix it with a little whiskey and that can help right now. Hell I'll even drink some with you for prevention, hah.
I suffered from allergies when I was young. Shots did the trick. So I'll have to agree with Inch.

I hope that you feel better soon.
Allegra-D® & Sudafed always gets me through this time of year....
Cedar allergies usually only last for a couple of months. I try to stay away from needles. I think some good prescription meds, pills and eye drops, would do the trick. Your health care provider could rule out other eye problems while you are there. I suffer from cedar allergies too, and find that by the end of February I am usually better.
Good things about the shots.

1) If it works, your allergies go away. No meds to take several times a day. No "up and down" levels of relief during the day.

2) Frequently, after several years, you can stop taking the shots completely.

3) You may find you have several allergies and even in time periods when you didn't think you had allergies, you were actually suffering at a lower level. You suddenly find you can breathe through your nose in the morning and you can smell things again.

4) Be sure your doctor will allow you to give yourself the shots. Even if you're too squeamish to do it, you should have the option. And if the doctor won't let you do your own shots, I think that indicates he's out to rip you off. They usually will require you to take the shots from him when he's adjusting your dose upwards. It's so much more convenient to stick yourself at home than to have to go to an office and wait.

5) Don't fear the needle. You'll quickly get used to it. Especially if you inject yourself. You're sort of prepared for it if you stick yourself.

6) The allergy shots aren't "medicine" in some sense, they're just the allergens you're allergic to. It's not like you're taking some strange chemical concoction that you're not already exposed to.

Cons:

1) Doesn't always work.

2) Can be somewhat expensive, but if you compare it to how much you spend on other meds, it may not be that much more expensive. Especially if you're missing work due to allergies.

3) You may not see any relief for months or even a year. However, when you do start getting relief, you have relief 24/7.

4) Needles.

Whether or not you get the allergy shots, consider trying the prescription allergy meds. Try the OTC meds, but then consider the prescription meds. Try various meds until you find one that works for you. There are also prescription allergy eye drops that may bring you major relief.

I'm somewhat afraid of taking allergy meds all the time. They do modify the way your body and immune system work, so there's some risk there, especially over a long time. Of course, allergy attacks affect the way your body works, too.
Hi Nikki,

I'm not a Dr. although I do like to play Dr. Seriously, the shot route is fairly expensive and generally a long term project(like years), if you have gotten this far without major allergy difficulties probably the OTC meds will help. Try the Walgreen brand of Claritin (my wife says this really helps and she is allergic to everything and took the shots for 8 years). Get better soon and let me know when you need that Dr. exam!!!!!
Thanks for the advice. I've had allergies for years now and have taken just about everything to help the symptoms...and the one that usually helps most without major side affects is Sudaphed 12-hour. This time, it's really messing with my eyes...and the skin around them. It's very strange, but it's hot to the touch and the skin is peeling as if I got a sunburn. Is it possible that I'm allergic to something new at this point?

And...NO to needles...I'm DEATHLY afraid of needles...just ask my dentist!! I think that's why I haven't tried to find an allergist...but, I'm feeling desperate because this is driving me crazy...ok, crazier! (lol)

I think I like Ski-Hog's suggestion the best...honey with a shot of whiskey. Heck, even if it doesn't work...after a few doses, who cares! (lol)
  • oden
  • 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM
In addition to everything else make sure to change your air filters regularly. Also, even though it has been cool keep the windows closed.

Personally I would see a doctor because this seems like a big change for you.

Hope you feel better.
  • Mokoa
  • 01-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Nikki...

What you described is exactly what happened to me a few years back during a major outbreak of Mountain Cedar. I used up a lot of eye drops and just had to let it run its course. One of the worst weeks of my life. Luckily, I have been immune to subsequent outbreaks.

I hope it ends soon and you are back to your old self.
you might try 24 hour Claritan-D. You have to buy it over the counter at a pharmacy9ie swipe your drivers lic. and say your not making meth. I have the same problems with runny eyes and claritan d usually dries them up.
Hope it gets better, only two weeks left of cedar season.
Simple OTC eye drops and throat sprays will deal with your symptoms if you just look in Walgreen's for allergy specific ones. You must use those with the Loratadine as treatment to target your eye symptoms and that should work until Valentine's Day which is usually the target date for the end of that particular pollen.
Honestly sounds like everyone is having some sort of problems these days with all the weather changes, etc. Treating symptoms is really the easiest way to do things and OTC products (generics work just fine for most). 25mg Benadryl capsule every 12 hours (Costco calls their product Allergy Relief Medicine) is a great stand-by. Yes - some will tell you it makes them sleepy but it is a substance produced by the body and enhances those allergy inhibitors quite nicely. Some folks like Afrin Nasal Spray but you can actually get "hooked" on that product and it will dissemate the nasal turbinates if you use it too frequently. HEB has a Nasal Mositurizing Spray which is basically normal saline and you can use it all day long to help with congestion. Last but not least - your eyes!! Visine has a product called Visine-A which is an antihistamine. Use that as directed. Warm tea bags are also very soothing to the eyes because of the tannic acid in them. Again -- everything above sounds like great advice (sans seeing a physician obviously) and do hope you feel better soon. WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY ALSO!!!