2 extra inches....what's the purpose?

Get your mind out of the gutter. This is a car question (again). A car may come with say...18" wheels....but you're offered to switch it to 20". What is the benefit or purpose of bigger wheels? Better gas mileage? Looks more impressive? I know they are costlier. But why do manufacturers put a certain size on the car to begin with and then offer bigger? Is it only because a smaller size is cheaper for them and it has nothing to do with a better ride/handling or better mileage and more for just the looks of the car?
If you have a newer car that has safety features like anti-lock brakes and stability systems, changing the tire size can cause problems. Also, it can affect your speedometer accuracy in some models. If you do change your tires size, you should have the dealer recalibrate the ABS, speedometer, etc.. If the dealer does not certify it and your brakes fail or some other mechanical issue arises, your warranty will be void and you could be liable for any damages to other vehicles or property.
I think that some people just like to be ostentatious and are willing to pay for their vanity.

I considered the option when I bought my new car just to compare, but I really could not justify the added cost.

The tires alone cost about $100 more apiece and the rims are even more expensive.

I thought that since the tire had a greater circumference that I could expect a longer tire life, but the technician said the tire life is the same.

Same mileage, but higher cost is a slam-dunk no way from where I stand.

In fact, I remember talking to one guy who bought a Navigator with the 20" wheel option and he said he now regretted the decision because the ride now is not as smooth as the standard 18" wheels!

If you have a newer car that has safety features like anti-lock brakes and stability systems, changing the tire size can cause problems. Also, it can affect your speedometer accuracy in some models. If you do change your tires size, you should have the dealer recalibrate the ABS, speedometer, etc.. If the dealer does not certify it and your brakes fail or some other mechanical issue arises, your warranty will be void and you could be liable for any damages to other vehicles or property. Originally Posted by blue3122

+1. Dont do it. It will cause all sorts of problems.
And if you go with less width in the sidewall, they don't hold up as well.
People just like to customize their cars, lights, stripes, paint, etc.
Bigger is not

.......................Always better

• CJ7
  • 02-26-2012, 10:50 PM
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/poc...428i0b_27.jpeg

hit a decent chug hole with a 20 and there isnt much rubber between the wheel and the hole .. you get to buy a new rim AND tire
Apparently, you have to sacrifice material from the tire itself to make room for the rim.

From my perspective, that is not a sensible idea at all, but then ladies also quickly sacrifice comfort when they wear high heels to make their legs look better.

. . . So not all decisions are based on logic!

Thanks for all the help. It was just what I needed to know. I've decided not to change anything regarding the original tire size.
I would say that you made the only smart decision regarding the tires.

. . . However, just for the record, I still want you to wear the high heels!