How can we joke with out internet friends, if we can't joke with them on the internet?

• WTF
  • 03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
While I appreciate JB taking up for my super sensitive feelings, I can hardly think of a more boring forum, than one where you can not joke around.
I can not speak for anyone else but I do not mind if my tail is pulled. I, in fact enjoy it. Keeps me on my toes. Plus some of you cats are rather clever. I would hope we can find a certain balance where we do not feel the need to be PC with posters that we have come to know fondly over the years. I sure have learned who not to joke with but I hope we are now not reduced to where we can not joke with our own friends.
I understand that JB seems to be between a rock and a hard spot and I am hoping for a discussion where we can strike a balance.

Plus JB you making me look like a puss asking people not to joke around with me! LOL

+1
Excellent topic.

As the first post in this thread points out we do have joking that goes on in this thread. Expanding that list, for any of us is tricky.

Joking in any context, and more so on the internet, requires a level of comfort and trust. It needs to come across as a jostle and not personal. Knowing when to stop pursuing an issue or topic is I think an important factor and is something all of us could be better at.
  • WTF
  • 03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
+1 Originally Posted by atlcomedy
+1? You sound like you are trying to out bid me at the Bunny Ranch!
Let's see..."cats"..."tail pulled"..."puss"...you trying to tell us something WTF? Anybody check WTF's gender status lately?

How's that WTF? Feel'n better?
  • WTF
  • 03-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Let's see..."cats"..."tail pulled"..."puss"...you trying to tell us something WTF? Anybody check WTF's gender status lately?

How's that WTF? Feel'n better? Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Me-fucn-ow , touche', RK.

Damn near lost my man card with that post! Sorry fella's!
I can imagine for the mod it is tough to know when to draw the line ,or just let it go.As far as thread drifts go that is keeping with a tradition That I am sure started on aspd long before I was ever there.Thread drifts are fun, and it is interesting to watch how one subject can drift to another.
It is a tougher call when it comes to people feeling singled out , or picked on.It is a no brainier that any personal information posted about another should be deleted immediately.Also if a person does feel ganged up on , or singled out then they should feel comfortable enough to ask the mod to lock , or remove the thread without any judgement from others.

I realize that I am making it sound too simple , but I have always felt that most of the people here are very nice, and I do not believe that many would go out of their way to intentinally hurt others.

I think that if we are able to openly communicate with each other a lot more will be accomplished over just locking threads on a guess.

Now can we please talk about masturbation some more.
+1? You sound like you are trying to out bid me at the Bunny Ranch! Originally Posted by WTF
Excellent topic.

As the first post in this thread points out we do have joking that goes on in this thread. Expanding that list, for any of us is tricky.

Joking in any context, and more so on the internet, requires a level of comfort and trust. It needs to come across as a jostle and not personal. Knowing when to stop pursuing an issue or topic is I think an important factor and is something all of us could be better at. Originally Posted by discreetgent
It is an important topic & something we all can be better at. I think a helpful starting place is to think about why we visit here. Speaking only for myself, it comes down to 3 things:

1) Information sharing/learning. Learning how-to's etc. Exposure to providers that might be dates in a more interactive forum than simple ads.

2) A quasi-support group. There are elements of this world that we really can't talk about with our "civie" friends

3) Entertainment. A good laugh.

Early on #1 was much more important to me. As I've grown & learned it has become less important to me.

2 & 3 are what keep me visiting this site on a regular basis. Part of that is good natured ribbing. Without that, I think this site/forum loses a lot of its appeal.
  • WTF
  • 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Without that, I think this site/forum loses a lot of its appeal. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
+69
Plus JB you making me look like a puss asking people not to joke around with me! LOL
Originally Posted by WTF
You mean you're not one? Gee and here I thought it was like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs with you...

Who woulda thunk that...
You mean you're not one? Gee and here I thought it was like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs with you...

Who woulda thunk that... Originally Posted by LonesomeDove
LD, you're off topic and from the looks of it that can get things closed around here in a heartbeat.

People, this is a SHMB and the "S" doesn't stand for "Serious" IMHO some people need to get over themselves.

I don't even know how I got here. Scotty, beam me back to Houston where they "get it"!
As far as thread drifts go that is keeping with a tradition That I am sure started on aspd long before I was ever there.Thread drifts are fun, and it is interesting to watch how one subject can drift to another. Originally Posted by Becky
This thread is actually the continuation of a classic NPOA thread that was started in 2003.
  • WTF
  • 03-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Who woulda thunk that... Originally Posted by LonesomeDove

See John Bull, LD meant no harm. Why would we want a forum where people can not joke?

From my vantage point the forum is pretty self moderated or at least it was. Sure people step out of line from time to time but have we come to the point where you can not even come close to the truth with good humored wit? That is what nudges them back over to sense and sensibilities.

I was embarrassed to learn that a few people were sent a note from you informing them to back off joking with WTF. While I understand where you are coming from it seems that that approach will kill the very nature of this forum.

Do you seriously want a forum where joking is not allowed? Is that what all the forum members want I suppose is the bigger question. And if that is not the bigger question then we may just have an even bigger issue.

I mean no harm nor in any way to upsurp any power but damn we are all adults. (Well except for a few cry babies on mention of health care reform! LOL)

This thread is actually the continuation of a classic NPOA thread that was started in 2003. Originally Posted by pjorourke
rotflmao

Scotty, beam me back to Houston where they "get it"! Originally Posted by boardman
Crabs don't count as getting it!
Maybe we need a smiley face for:

"No that really pissed me off and hurt my feelings and I need a mod to come hug me and make me feel better about myself and the hobby."

Heck, maybe we can make put it right on the RTM panel:

We can put it right next to this one:

Crabs don't count as getting it! Originally Posted by WTF

It's the rodents that don't "get it"