Yep, you know it's Christmas when....

The whackadoos start cranking up the "War on Christmas" schtick. Nothing gets a RWW conservabot hotter under the collar than being reminded that not everybody in the world is an evangelical Christian.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...-upon-us-video
liberalism and entitlement is flushing this country str8 down the shitter
What have you got against Christmas, Timmy? Do you hate the smiles, good cheer, thoughtfulness and charity? Or is it just the underlying idea of an authority that supersedes government that offends you?
I think ECCIE pays Timmy to be a pot stirring shitbag too. Nobody could really be that stupid. Wait, never mind
  • Old-T
  • 12-03-2013, 09:13 AM
The whackadoos start cranking up the "War on Christmas" schtick. Nothing gets a RWW conservabot hotter under the collar than being reminded that not everybody in the world is an evangelical Christian.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...-upon-us-video Originally Posted by timpage
Wow, so much to disagree with in one small post.

First of all, Tim, I agree with you that the annual "War on Christmas" tirade gets really, really old very fast. And when I have to hear Sarah P spew on about it, it is doubly disturbing.

HOWEVER, my preferred remedy would be the opposite of many LWWs--I have no problem with Christmas, I would prefer we ALSO make more visible Hanukkah, Ramadan, Soyal, Nirvana Day, etc. We already have too much hate and bigotry based largely on ignorance. I am not advocating mass conversions, but understanding. It is woefully lacking in the Wackos of both extremes, and public recognition of our diverse cultural melting pot (remember learning that you RWWs who think everyone is a direct descendent of the Puritan Thumpers?). To have religious displays in public places is good--if open to all. To have comparative religions taught in school so we might actually understand each other is good. The RWWs insist only THEIR religion deserves such treatment because only it is the TRUE one (and these types come in Muslim, Christian, and other shapes and sizes), while LWWs want to hide their heads in the sand and pretend that religion doesn't really exist. Both just fuel the hate.

One quick story about the kind of understanding--not conversion--I wish we had more of. I did some volunteer educational work on the Rez in the past, and some of the groups had kids from multiple tribes. Each had their own traditions and beliefs--some mingled with Christian beliefs, some not. But the astounding thing to me--since I had been raised in the traditional urban white man's world--was they understood the basics of each others' beliefs and therefore there was very little hostility because "THEY don't believe right". In fact, one of the most eye opening experiences was when a biologist came in with some birds of prey to do a lesson. The kids had been looking forward to this for weeks. One of the birds was an owl. For those who don't know, the Navajo have some very serious beliefs about owls, and seeing one is a very bad harbinger (read, "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" if you wish.) Two kids--5th graders, got up and went into the hall to check if the birds were owls. One was, and one boy stayed in the hall to ask the biologist not to come in with the owl, while the girl came back and said the Navajo boy (there was one in the class) had to leave, then went and whispered to the teacher that it was because of the owl. The other kids could tell what it probably was since they knew birds were coming, and the class (about 40, with only the one Navajo) unanimously said they would do without the long awaited special visit so the one Navajo boy wouldn't have to feel ostracized.

liberalism and entitlement is flushing this country str8 down the shitter Originally Posted by Mizzou82
This could well be the most non-sequitor non-sequitor of the year. Sorry to be so blunt (actually no, I'm not, you deserve it), WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE TOPIC?? Are you trying to imply that Christians = Conservatives, while Non-Christians = Liberals? What a stupid post you made. I have a suggestion: read the thread on the pope, then read the bible and absorb what Christ and the early apostles SAID and DID, not how the RWW Thumpers contort it to fit their political views. I can understand people who are RWW conservatives, I can understand those who truly absorb the Christ message in the bible, but the two are very, very divergent in how to deal with economic issues. It's hard to find a more communist world view than the early Christian church.
One of the dumbest threads............

When are they suppose to call attention to the issue? On July 4th....

And you forgot to add = The CC right is responding to attacks...like this billboard..

And this attack:

"SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COUNTY ORDERS REMOVAL OF CHRISTMAS LIGHTS"

But stupid TrannyTim thinks the CC right should remain mute, be good, and shut the fuck up !

FUCK YOU TRANNYTIM !
  • Old-T
  • 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
You reinforce my point. In most of America each ideology--the religious and the non-religious--are far more interested in attacks and "winning" than in coexistence and understanding. I never said there weren't atheist Thumpers too--there are.

Anyone remember "Love Thy Neighbor?"
  • Old-T
  • 12-03-2013, 10:55 AM
What have you got against Christmas, Timmy? Do you hate the smiles, good cheer, thoughtfulness and charity? Or is it just the underlying idea of an authority that supersedes government that offends you? Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Those are all good things--and should be encouraged and celebrated whatever the religious trappings they are surrounded in. Wouldn't it be a better basis for things if every season had some event--religious or otherwise--that highlighted smiles, good cheer, thoughtfulness and charity? Even if the person leading the smiles might not go to the church I go to?
  • Doove
  • 12-03-2013, 02:47 PM
And this attack:

"SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COUNTY ORDERS REMOVAL OF CHRISTMAS LIGHTS" Originally Posted by Whirlaway
They're being required to remove only the Christmas lights that are put up in violation of town codes. Calling that an attack on Christmas pretty much makes Tim's point.

Well done.

http://www.ktlkam1150.com/articles/n...move-11873119/

Originally Posted by Old-T
Anyone remember 9/11? The Alamo? Trail of Tears? Little Big Horn? How about "Turn the other Tower?"

The Indian example is a good one. I'll bring it up at the next Mosque prayer and see how it plays. Thanks Old-T.
You reinforce my point. In most of America each ideology--the religious and the non-religious--are far more interested in attacks and "winning" than in coexistence and understanding. I never said there weren't atheist Thumpers too--there are.

Well put Old-T

freedom of religion also means freedom from religion.
Ah yes the most misunderstood portion of the 1st amendment to our constitution.
I suppose that had the founding fathers known that the the Supreme Court would end up making laws rather than Congress they would have put that in the wording along with the word Congress.
Nothing in the 1st amendment would prohibit the Executive branch or the Judicial branch from establishing a religion. Like Kennedy could have established Catholicism as the official religion of his administration. I suppose it also would mean that since Congress cannot prhibit the free excersice thereof, it does not mean that the Supreme Court cannot restrict it which is has. So how may think that the Supreme Court has over stepped its bounds and created law without the authority under the Constitution. You know, like a fine is now a tax?
  • Doove
  • 12-04-2013, 06:20 AM
You know, like a fine is now a tax? Originally Posted by The2Dogs
Or some loser living in his parent's basement is a militia?
  • Old-T
  • 12-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:

Anyone remember 9/11? The Alamo? Trail of Tears? Little Big Horn? How about "Turn the other Tower?"

The Indian example is a good one. I'll bring it up at the next Mosque prayer and see how it plays. Thanks Old-T. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Well done, Gonad. You have reconfirmed my faith that there are some immutable things in the universe--and some exceedingly predictable people. No one on this board is more consistently focused on anger and hate than you are. No one I know has said evil things don't happen. But most folks aren't so bitter that they ridicule tolerance as you do.

In your little, angry, ugly corner of the world I am sure you believe we should nuke the rest of the world before they do it to us. Then I'm sure you would advocate we start on ethnic cleansing at home without any outside interference--and when you are installed as dictator I'm sure that would start with Hispanics and move out from there. Retry the Civil War and nuke those vile northerners. I'm just wondering: after we do all that, what stereotype would you use for your avatar? Since even you seem to acknowledge the trail of tears was a less-than-honorable part of our history I'm sure you would eventually get around to gassing all Whites as well since there can be no redeeming social qualities to any white man. In the end we'd finally have your view of the perfect world: Gonad and a lot of crickets.

PS: Why don't you try out the Indian story on your local Thumpers first. Too many of them can't comprehending helping others without the need to aggressively convert them as well. It got so bad that one rez informed a certain Thumper congregation that the rez didn't need their help because it came with too many aggressive conversion strings.
Doove is a militia?