So I'm going vegan....

Recipes and do's and don'ts much appreciated for those who practice also. Two stents in the span of 8 months necessitates some life style changes.
Recipes and do's and don'ts much appreciated for those who practice also. Two stents in the span of 8 months necessitates some life style changes. Originally Posted by Out_of_Bounds
Vegan is not the total solution - it can help but since you mentioned the 2 stents. I would also advise to stay away from sugar and alcohol. Not knowing details, I would also say to begin a moderate exercise routine. 1-3 days per week. Cardio..i.e. walking, light jogging, swimming (the best imo).

Vegan can be a good thing but make sure to get plenty of complex carbs as well.

Take care man...
The hardest part, by far, will be to resist telling everybody and his dog that you are VEGAN...by gum. Nobody gives a shit.

Similar to people who eat sushi and pretend to like it.
Vegan bacon is total crap.
Vegan is not the total solution - it can help but since you mentioned the 2 stents. I would also advise to stay away from sugar and alcohol. Not knowing details, I would also say to begin a moderate exercise routine. 1-3 days per week. Cardio..i.e. walking, light jogging, swimming (the best imo).

Take care man... Originally Posted by SNL9933

Want to echo what SNL is saying here- Animal protein is not necessarily bad for you.

Exercise is very important, but try to make it a life style change.

For example, I regularly go to the gym and have other activities (apart from fucking) that get my heart rate up. In addition to this, though, I do little things throughout the day to move my body, using the restroom two buildings over as opposed to the one right down the hall, taking the long way to the copier, etc. It sounds simple, but it really makes a huge difference.
Recipes and do's and don'ts much appreciated for those who practice also. Two stents in the span of 8 months necessitates some life style changes. Originally Posted by Out_of_Bounds
Congratulations on your decision towards a lifestyle change. We'll be rooting for you
So I'm going vegan.... Originally Posted by Out_of_Bounds
Does that mean no eating pussy?

Take care man... Originally Posted by SNL9933
Yeah my cardiologist already suggested an aggressive workout. Along with a healthier diet. I'll still eat some meat every once in awhile and by that maybe once a month. It's a dietary thing. Hell I may not like it after going without it for that long.
The hardest part, by far, will be to resist telling everybody and his dog that you are VEGAN...by gum. Nobody gives a shit.

Similar to people who eat sushi and pretend to like it. Originally Posted by Don T. Lukbak
One, I love sushi....And sashimi.
Two, which is why I'm here asking about people who know so I don't sound like one of those pretentious pricks exclaiming they're vegan for whatever reason they do it for.
The same ladies that wrote the book "Skinny Bitch" wrote a book called "Skinny Bastard". I haven't read it, but a Vegan friend of mine who is female read the Skinny Bitch one and recommended the Skinny Bastard when I was thinking of going vegan. I'm pretty sure there are recipes and what not in there. Plus vegan alternatives to stuff that you're probably used to eating.

I give you props if you can do it, I just couldn't. I like meat way too much.
I am vegetarian, not vegan, but I am a chef and my culinary focus is vegan cooking. I highly recommend a cookbook called The Veganomicon, which really got me started into great vegan cooking that is delicious, filling, and nutritious!

Don't make the mistake of eating too many soy products or a primarily starchy diet. It will be great to cook lots of things yourself. Learn the wonders of dark leafy greens like kale and collard greens if you don't already have relationships with them. Most vegetables are excellent coated in olive oil and then roasted at 400 degrees F until golden brown and carmelized. Filling your fridge with indulgent and delicious salad ingredients to make your own custom salads (think beyond lettuce- beans and corn and fruit and nuts and avocados!) any time you want a snack is a great idea. Fresh or dried herbs and non-traditional oils are your friend. A vegan diet doesn't have to be devoid of fats. Many are healthy and I recommend a combination of safflower oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. Allow yourself to indulge sometimes as you will hate your diet otherwise and it won't be sustainable for you.

There is great vegan coconut milk ice cream out there. Soy yogurt is surprisingly tasty. Almond milk is my favorite vegan milk to work with. Make sure to look into nutritional yeast as a savory condiment so that you continue to get your B12's!

One soy product that is actually good for you, because it is fermented, is "tempeh". You can buy it at specialty grocery stores like Whole Foods. I like to cut it into half inch thick strips, marinade it in something I mix up from whatever I have around, usually something like olive oil, miso, maple syrup, soy sauce, juice of an orange, maybe a dash of liquid smoke, and let it sit for 20 minutes or even overnight or a few days in the fridge. Then fry the tempeh in a high-heat safe oil such as coconut oil or safflower oil, on medium-high heat (too low heat and they will fall apart) until they are golden brown. They should be crispy on the outside and hot-n-juicy on the inside. The tempeh is high in protein and tastes a bit nutty. It's my favorite vegan protein.

Enjoy the change!
Jesus.....from all the comments mentioned above, just the thought of giving up beer and bacon.....I'd rather take a dirt nap.....
I do not understand how anyone can get the idea that starving your body of animal proteins which you were evolved to crave is in any way a healthier diet than eating meat and fish along with vegetables. It is a total scam and it will not improve your health, but may make you weak and anemic.
The Veggie Patty #2 at Elevation Burger is really good...
I do not understand how anyone can get the idea that starving your body of animal proteins which you were evolved to crave is in any way a healthier diet than eating meat and fish along with vegetables. It is a total scam and it will not improve your health, but may make you weak and anemic. Originally Posted by spear88
+1

Vegan and vegetarian diets are not a natural choice. That said, neither are diets completely dominated by meat, or other animal proteins. Everything in moderation is a pretty good rule.
I'm very disappointed.