Songs that shaped our world and influenced our current 'global' society

I'm sure their are others but I nominate these 4 as being the most influential in shaping our current world.

LMAO please say you were drunk when you actually put down Madonna's "like a virgin"
as a song that influenced the shape of our world.
IMO without a doubt "Thriller" is probably the greatest music video ever made and still has an impact but I can't believe the others do.
How about songs that made a real impact such as:
USA for Africa - We are the World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI
Or:
John Lennon - Imagine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLgYAHHkPFs
Here's my explanation for the songs I selected:

Like a Virgin - seems like it was a rage against the moral authority of the church and parents. It seems to have ushered in this notion and idea that it's actually cool to have sex for a newer generation. It was Madonna and she was the ultimate sex symbol speaking on behalf of the repressed and the hypocrites. lol

Material Girl - another song that glorified happiness through possessions. Seems it was the original bling bling song convincing people life was all about material possessions. I bet young women everywhere started looking at men for what they could get out of them.

Thriller - was indeed the greatest song / video ever made. It made people happy the world over and even to this day MJ is still the gold standard for introduction into music. To me he's the reason for modern dance culture and music ingenuity. I think Thriller brought the world closer together

Billie Jean - was a song that was sort of the opposite of "Like a Virgin". It made guys the world over more aware of games women can play when it comes to claiming that you could be the baby daddy. lol

Just my opinion on it. The "We are the world" song also seems to have helped although I'm not sure how lasting of an impact it had.

Agree on Imagine.
For Texas rednecks:

Houston (Means I'm One Day Closer to You)
Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers Band
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houst...Closer_to_You)

You Never Even Called Me by My Name
David Allen Coe
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_N..._Me_by_My_Name
Kashmir by Led Zeppelin

Sympathy For The Devil by Rolling Stones
Here's my explanation for the songs I selected:

Like a Virgin - seems like it was a rage against the moral authority of the church and parents. It seems to have ushered in this notion and idea that it's actually cool to have sex for a newer generation. It was Madonna and she was the ultimate sex symbol speaking on behalf of the repressed and the hypocrites. lol

Material Girl - another song that glorified happiness through possessions. Seems it was the original bling bling song convincing people life was all about material possessions. I bet young women everywhere started looking at men for what they could get out of them.

Thriller - was indeed the greatest song / video ever made. It made people happy the world over and even to this day MJ is still the gold standard for introduction into music. To me he's the reason for modern dance culture and music ingenuity. I think Thriller brought the world closer together

Billie Jean - was a song that was sort of the opposite of "Like a Virgin". It made guys the world over more aware of games women can play when it comes to claiming that you could be the baby daddy. lol

Just my opinion on it. The "We are the world" song also seems to have helped although I'm not sure how lasting of an impact it had.

Agree on Imagine. Originally Posted by Zanzibar789
All I know is Nile Rodgers(guitarist for CHIC) made a SERIOUS grip producing that "Like A Virgin" album.

And "Thriller" is still the highest grossing album ever.
Bandz a make her dance
By the 1980's there was little moral authority of church or parents left to rebel against.
Only one,and showing my age: 1965, "The Eve of Destruction" as sung by Barry McGuire. The quintessential Vietnam war protest song, stirred so many passions that numerous radio stations refused to air it!
I bet young women everywhere started looking at men for what they could get out of them.
.... Originally Posted by Zanzibar789
There have been "gold diggers".....since.....well... .there was gold.
What about Dean Martin and the Golddiggers?
Did you forget about Tainted Love pyramider? I'm very disappointed.

It's either this...

...or Yellow Submarine
Anyone remember this little ditty?
I can remember driving down the freeway
with the top back just jammin.

Ahhh....those were the days

Seems to fit the current state of affairs in the world now also.