Tipping a driver

alt--good tips!
You mean its not all about the money?
(sorry, just couldn't resist) Originally Posted by discreetgent
Hell yea it's all about the $$$$$$..... oh I so want to break out into some ghetto trash mouth. The things that you learn in other forums.
Hell yea it's all about the $$$$$$..... oh I so want to break out into some ghetto trash mouth. The things that you learn in other forums. Originally Posted by Ansley
Just as long as your head doesn't spin with green kitty litter flying out, you're good to go!
  • WTF
  • 03-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Creepy? they will attempt to guilt you into thinking a generous tip is normal. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Well good luck with WTF on that tactic

Hell yea it's all about the $$$$$$..... oh I so want to break out into some ghetto trash mouth. The things that you learn in other forums. Originally Posted by Ansley
You're much too much of a lady to do that
I always tip but not percentage-wise.
I don't use cabs in the US.........I typically tip 25% overseas. It helps me get a cab when one is not available.

I can make a call and get a cab in Singapore when there are 30 people in the line waiting for non-existant cabs...........same in South Africa..........and it helps me get laid.

More than once I have been waiting for my caab in front of Taxi turn and struck up a conversation with a hottie.........steered the conversation in a way that I can decide if she is available, then offered to share my taxi with her.

If I can't get her to meet me for "drinks" during that ride, I need a new sig line.
i was a broke kid...early twenties...and i was after my first break...i had just enough money to fly to dallas ...get a cab ride downtown..cab ride back and get out of town...

there wasnt anything to spare...couldnt get a credit card.

i didnt have enough money to eat..didnt eat all day

i was to meet with a large independent oil company in a big office bldg downtown...to try to convince them on an oil deal i had..i was anxious, lost and fearful....

got to the destination..the fare was around 9.50 i gave the cabbie ten bucks and started to leave...he got upset..and followed me to give me the 50 cent change..i said keep it..he said no..he assumed i was being cheap..maybe i was but it wasnt because i wanted to be...he shoved the 50 cents at me and my anxiety level shot sky high... i looked at him and he looked at me with disgust and he turned and left
Wait, did they say you have great tips or great ti...............oh nevermind
As to the internal comments about tipping, I assume it is not restricted to cabs. A restaurant you frequent will know who the cheapskates are and who are the nice people. The later may have been waitstaff/bus people in a former life so they know what tipping means. Plus do you want to have a waitperson unhappy with your presence BEFORE the food comes to you? I generally tip 20% on most everything, unless my "expectations were exceeded." If that is the case if it is a real company I'll try to contact a higher up saying "Ansley delivered a wonderful time...." So in addition to actual cash hearing from up above that the customer was happy goes miles. About a month ago a client asked for the company's owner's name. Usually that can be a bad thing or good thing (no in between). They ended up writing this incredibly glowing letter to him. He said to me he didn't remember getting a letter like that. It wasn't a high end transaction and in fact was low end, but they felt as if it was high end regardless of final compensation. They then sent me a thank you card with a AmEx gift card in it (nice!). I suppose some of the Diamonds on here *might* accept that card (pay it forward!).
They then sent me a thank you card with a AmEx gift card in it (nice!). Originally Posted by SR Only
SPE = Serendipitous Provider Expenses.
I wonder if the cabbie in the original post doesn't simply tell that to everyone who gets in the cab. Maybe that's his way of getting customers thinking about tipping.
They ended up writing this incredibly glowing letter to him. He said to me he didn't remember getting a letter like that. Originally Posted by SR Only
Is this a case of "you can fool all the people some of the time?"
As to the internal comments about tipping, I assume it is not restricted to cabs. A restaurant you frequent will know who the cheapskates are and who are the nice people. The later may have been waitstaff/bus people in a former life so they know what tipping means. Plus do you want to have a waitperson unhappy with your presence BEFORE the food comes to you? I generally tip 20% on most everything, unless my "expectations were exceeded." If that is the case if it is a real company I'll try to contact a higher up saying "Ansley delivered a wonderful time...." So in addition to actual cash hearing from up above that the customer was happy goes miles. About a month ago a client asked for the company's owner's name. Usually that can be a bad thing or good thing (no in between). They ended up writing this incredibly glowing letter to him. He said to me he didn't remember getting a letter like that. It wasn't a high end transaction and in fact was low end, but they felt as if it was high end regardless of final compensation. They then sent me a thank you card with a AmEx gift card in it (nice!). I suppose some of the Diamonds on here *might* accept that card (pay it forward!). Originally Posted by SR Only
Is this a case of "you can fool all the people some of the time?" Originally Posted by discreetgent
I'm not sure I got SR's point either. Is it:

a) if you go the extra mile sometimes someone important will notice?

b) if you tip real well sometimes the people you are with will be impressed?

c) SR is stalking the waitstaff at his local eateries?

d) None of the above. I've missed the point completely
I'm not sure I got SR's point either. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
People have been wondering what the hell I've been talking about for years.

Is it:

a) if you go the extra mile sometimes someone important will notice? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
The clients noticed how well they were treated even if it was a low end transaction. I was doing it because that's the way I operate: treat your clients/customers well (go figure, what a concept). I had no idea they would write to the owner.

b) if you tip real well sometimes the people you are with will be impressed? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
No, I try not to be cheap. Restaurant folks depend on tips. Mind you, I'd be happy with paying a service charge for the staff, or like in Japan where tipping is a no-no, but the fee/cost is built in. When I tip I keep it low key. Some friends are on the same page and we tip nicely for good service. I've been out with more "frugal" friends, and I'll kick in extra quietly not to embarrass the friends and to make sure the staff is compensated. Especially true if it is a place we go to frequently.

c) SR is stalking the waitstaff at his local eateries? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
If they're cute and willing, you bet I'll stalk 'em.

d) None of the above. I've missed the point completely Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Ummmm, your call.