Is your power out now? Brrrr!

Luckily, I am still somewhat warm at home this morning, but the power is out at my incall for a bit.

The kids school is closed, they also don't have any power.

How are things for the rest of y'all this chilly morning? I am curious to know how widespread the problem is.

It isn't ice causing it, so is it a rolling brown-out?
  • ezman
  • 02-02-2011, 08:41 AM
The power went out at my place, and when I called in I got the message that says "ERCOT has implimented random load shutdowns due to high demand because of the cold weather ... sorry about the inconvenience"

I guess normally they can shift power across the grid to meet demands, but with the whole damn country in a deepfreeze, maybe there isn't enough power to cover.
luckily we aren't having power problems (yet) in southwest austin. i'm nice and warm inside my home, but still wearing some sexy tights to stay extra warm i hope the power returns very soon to your incall.
The scrolling print on the television says it is statewide and a forced brownout. from 35 to 45 minutes each. Obviously, that is a lie. It has been out for hours, half the night in places.

I am keeping my fingers crossed to stay warm for a while longer
Mine went out twice for about 20 minutes each its back on now thank god im warming it up
having a fireplace, and a motorhome (with a generator) is handy. The Rundburg area was in the rolling blackout a little earlier.
Had power outage for about three hours this morning out here in the country, but power is back on; opened the back door to see if the dogs needed to run outside for a few minutes and boy the looks I got! ARE YOU CRAZY? WE ARE NOT LEAVING THESE BLANKETS! CLOSE THE DAMN DOOR!
It's all over....I'm on PEC in leander and I had a 40 minute interruption earlier.

I heard on TV that for 1/9 of the time, the power would be out for 40 minutes at a time.

But, can you believe everything you hear from these guys?
I haven't lost power for a minute. Crystal, If you get too cold, give me a call!
My lovenest is toasty Thank God for backup generators.
  • Carl
  • 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Repeated ones at my house this morning, growing in length, eventually lasting 30-45 minutes with about 15-20 minutes on before I left for work. What pisses me off is that it's a residential neighborhood, not a lot of big power drains. I go to get breakfast on the way to work. I go into the diner. A few people in line mention the blackouts at home. The manager mentions they haven't had any blackouts all morning. Really? WTF? Five minute of them being off-grid would keep my house going most of the damn day. That's fucking bullshit!. If they want to shed electric load 5 minutes of Barton Creek Mall off the grid would go a lot further than taking my entire neighborhood off-line all fucking morning. Goddamned MOTHERFUCKERS!
Carl,

There must be something in the air! Teachers, hell custodial jobs aren't even safe, sink holes in east austin and its far fetchedd that Austin electric would rather keep Barton creek mall up all day instead of your neighborhood? Nah, makes sense to me these days.....
Carl,

There must be something in the air! Teachers, hell custodial jobs aren't even safe, sink holes in east austin and its far fetchedd that Austin electric would rather keep Barton creek mall up all day instead of your neighborhood? Nah, makes sense to me these days.....
Nice & Warm here....I just love getting under the all bankets and watching a good movie!
I didn't go to bed till 7am-ish but my alarm clock isn't flashing. One thing I've noticed about this "new to me" apt is that it's very well-insulated. Solid brick outer walls are a good thing. Fortunately, I have heavy velvet drapes to hang over the old single-paned windows. That will solve the issue. I didn't even turn on the heat here till yesterday evening as the temp was holding steady at 71.

I'm not usually a TV watcher but I'm so friggin' bored from being alone that I'd welcome some strong fella to stop by & move mine so I can have a DVD going to keep me company while I unpack. The hard part is over so no reason to be scared now, Boys! lol I'll make my awesome pancakes for ya'... hehehe

Keep komfy & kozy...
Kat