Cool places youve been: no restrictions: Hints for travel and places to go when you get there

1st of all, I had a nose job last week (function, not form), so I have entirely too much time on my hands. I apologize in advance for my increased participation lately....

I'm going to Africa next month -Botswana for safari, a helicopter ride over Victoria Falls and Capetown SA for wine country. Exploring several wineries in Stellenbosch. One day in sun city for gambling. Any must see or do's while on the continent? Anything to avoid or make sure we take?

Unfortunately we can't go to the Seychelles - probably my only chance to go there, but there is so much else to do, its still going to be an amazing experience.

Next up is Alaska in August - going to Gustavas for a 2nd time. The fishing is amazing there and you don't have to boat out hours to get to it. Its isolated, but amazing. If anyone is interested in knowing more about it, feel free to PM.

Then going to visit my daughter for 3 weeks in the fall. She is going to school in Nice France for a semester. I'll be in Paris alone for a week and then exploring the rest of France for 2. Going to take a cooking class in Paris. Want to stay in boutique hotels in unexpected areas while in Paris - any suggestions?
Sorry about the nose job. Hope it heals quickly and well.

Couple of years ago, my brother and his family spent the year in South Africa. A couple of things they did that were highlights: Go swimming with the sharks off the Capetown coast; go on a safari that was designed to see the major animals in the wild: lion, elephant, hippo, rino (and one more that I don't remember).

BTW, if you can get to North Africa, you shouldn't miss one of the 7 wonders of the world: the pyramids and sphinx. Riding the camels around the area is an experience also. Or, you can boat down the Nile. But if you have to pick between the pyramids and Victoria Falls, I might pick the pyramids. Victoria Falls will continue to be around. The pyramids and sphinx are deteriorating.

If you are into art, Paris is one place to go. It's been a long time since I was there, but the one museum I still wouldn't miss is the Rodin museum. As I recall, it is a little out of the way, and you kind of have to be intentional about visiting it.

My all time favorite place to visit is Hong Kong, although the last time I was there it was still an English protectorate. The food is great (especially the floating restaurants). And seeing Hong Kong at night is incomparable to any other view in the world IMHO.
Last time I was in paris, several years ago, I stayed at the Grand Hotel Dore. Got a room that faced the backside of the hotel. The owner's wife is from California originally, although you would never know it. http://www.grand-hotel-dore.com/paris/

First time I was there I stayed at the Kyriad on Rue Madamoiselle a block away from the Commerce metro stop. They had some rooms that faced an interior courtyard that were very quiet. There was a french and a japenese restaurant a couple doors down as well as grocery store, a cheese place, and a bakery all on the way to the metro.

First time did the museum thing, but last time, I went to a bunch of different street markets.

Went to an asian massage place, was the worst massage ever. You want to talk about upselling. Like dealing with a used car salesperson who hid behind the language barrier to her advantage.
i would have to say that one of the best trips i had was to new zealand..sailing on 36 ft boat with some buddies and scuba diving for 4 days ..(from the very north tip back to auckland) and catching lobsters....then eating sushi and drinking some great wine at piha beach at the top of the mtn right at the beach.... google piha beach and find webcams...

also costa rica for a month...san jose of course in the blue marlin bar etc etc....rafting in the jungle on the paquare' river (spelling)...scuba diving on the west coast....and then a little 3 days trip to an island south of florida...beaches and rum and ladies were great....
This is fun! I want to go to New Zealand - I hear its one of the most beautiful places in the world in terms of natural beauty. Speaking of natural beauty; costa rica doesn't suck either! I went to a 7 day fast there last november - It was beautiful, but I think I started hallucinating because I met someone there and got engaged but the 1st of the year....I got my senses back and I'm over that idea..marrying a buddhist....Good in concept; not so good in practice.

Charles - I would pick the pyrimids myself, but I'm not in charge (How did that happen!?!) - Egypt will be a trip someday, maybe with Turkey. And Hong Kong...yes. Could a person do that on the way to a dive trip to phucket thailand? It seems like a good way to kill two birds with one stone....

Jake, I like the idea of the hotel - a small place off the main rue....thanks for that.
I have never been to Africa, but everyone I have met who has, loved it. Alaska is amazing .Several years ago me, my boy friend, and our two dogs took a road trip there from SF.On the way up I totaled our truck/trailer, in the middle of British Columbia, so from there we rented a van with bald tires. I was demoted to passenger status, and did not drive for the remainder of our trip lol.If you have the chance take a flight over Denali park.The Kiel peninsula is also a great place to stop. I still love to look at the pictures that we took of our dogs playing on Exit Glacier.

Paris is a great city to just walk around, and get lost in. I still remember how good those street crepes tasted. I was addicted to the chocolate ones .I was in love with Baudelaire at the time, so I made a special trip to visit his grave. The cemetery was actually very beautiful in a way that only the old ones can be.

My favorite vacation was a trip to Thailand.This was the only place where I was ever mugged.The worse part was I was mugged by a monkey.This god dam monkey waited for me to come out of the 7-11 ,and grabbed my bag,the little shit opened my 5 dollar can of Pringles, and ate them right in front of me. I was afraid to buy another can because that monkey would probably just do it again.. I stayed near the golden triangle, and volunteered at an Elephant sanctuary .Thailand has the most beautiful temples, and the people could not have been any nicer.The monkey incident aside being there felt like a nice dream.

I have always loved to travel.The things I saw , and people I met will always stay with me. Enjoy your trips, I am sure you will have the time of your life with those destinations.
BTW, if you can get to North Africa, you shouldn't miss one of the 7 wonders of the world Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
You do realize that Egypt is about 4,500 miles from Capetown. Thats like saying if you are in LA, you should try to go t NY -- except Egypt is 50% further.
I'll be in Paris alone for a week Originally Posted by Sydneyb
You have to go to the Aviation Club.
What about cool places I wan to go?

I love nature and the great outdoors, I also love the natural wonders of the world.

Alaska - The Valley Of Ten Thousand Smokes

Accessible by helicopter only in Katmai National Park. A vulcanic eruption in 1912 created a 40 square mile vulcanic valley 100 - 700 ft of ash. Nature's fury unleashed.

People access the deep wilderness by the float planes run by the park. There's also a vibrant bear population:

www.nps.gov/katm
www.nps.gov/katm/naturescience

Croatia - Motovun

A medieval town in Istria, with houses scattered all over the hill. It is a typical example of venetian colonial architecture. . The city gate dates from the 15th century. On the inner walls are several coats-of-arms of different Motovun ruling families and two gravestones of Roman inhabitants (dating from the 1st century).

September through January The Motovun Forest provides perfect conditions for the growth of the most famous type of white truffle: Tuber Magnatum Pico. I'm madly in love with the idea of having a truffle pig for a little while. I think it would be a blast, along with a bicycle tour of the countryside.

Tibet: Himilayan Hometsays

Villages deep in the Himalayan mountains were killing off mountain lions to protect their livestock. In order to protect the species, provide income to villages a way to earn income, and reserve their traditional culture, the local people decided to allow outsiders to stay in their homes. To help them with their daily chores, to learn about their lifestyle and their world, to live in complete solitude for a week or three.

Alas, few have my taste in travel, and I'm not one to travel alone.
As long as you're going to be in Nice, there is plenty to see nearby. My favorite nearby villages are Saint-Paul de Vence, Bandol, Sisteron, Mougins. There is a small museum in Nice that is devoted to some of Chagall's religious works that is very interesting. There is a really well preserved Roman amphitheater in Arles. The Pont-du-Guarde, the greatest surving Roman aquaduct, is nothign short of specitacular. It is not real close to Nice, but it's not too far (near Remoulins, if I'm not mistaken). Orange is another great city for Roman ruins. Fontaine de Vaucluse is beautiful, though not as historic as some of the other spots I've mentioned.

If you have any special fields of interest, let me know. I've spent a fair bit of time knocking around that neck of the woods.
I did not think I would enjoy Paris as much as I did. But I did. I knew I loved architecture and art, just didn't realize how much.

Look for hotels on the left bank, if you are going to be alone, look at convents (lol..seriously). Buy a multi day pass to The Louvre, esp if you love art. It's really too much to see and appreciate in a single visit.

The Dali Museum and the Opera House were my absolute fave's.

We had a rental car so day trips were awesome. Yes, you could do a week in Paris, but getting to a different country in Europe is like driving to a different state here.
What about cool places I wan to go?
Alas, few have my taste in travel, and I'm not one to travel alone. Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
I think that Holly had a travel section in her website and she really seemed to get appointments that leaned to her type of travel - Isabella too, if I remember correctly. I know that I had travel places in my blog and a former client offered to take me to India, which was on my list - I opted out of the biz before we went, but it may be a way to see the world with those you care about. As to traveling alone; while I get lonesome sometimes, I also sometimes feel brave -and for me, depending on only myself is a point of pride (and sometime a source of "oh shit"!)

Textush....I have taken note of your suggestions and will write you before I leave in the fall - your style seems a lot like mine in terms of interests. Becky - yours too - I'm a fan of the crepe and getting lost ;-). I'll bet you would really like the movie "before sunset" - its set in paris and is a human story - seems like a becky thing....

PJ - Charles wasn't THAT far off - I did say I was going to be in Victoria Falls and Botswana.....
PJ - Charles wasn't THAT far off - I did say I was going to be in Victoria Falls and Botswana..... Originally Posted by Sydneyb
Oh sorry, my bad. Victoria Falls is so much closer -- like 3,300 miles from the Pyramids. That's so much shorter -- like the distance from Seattle to Miami?
I As to traveling alone; while I get lonesome sometimes, I also sometimes feel brave -and for me, depending on only myself is a point of pride (and sometime a source of "oh shit"!)
Originally Posted by Sydneyb
Traveling alone can be so much fun.When I lived in Amsterdam all of the trips I took through Europe were solo.You actually meet a lot of interesting people that way.Most go out of their way to help.It is a great way to really experience an area.

My second favorite trip was to Churchill Manitoba where I had the chance to see thousands of Beluga Whales,and even a Polar bear.That was another place where I went on my own, and had an amazing time.All of those Belugas it was like I had died , and gone to heaven.They even let me drive the train on the way back to Winnipeg( another perk of being single lol).

Thanks for posting this thread it is bringing back some great memories.

Oh sorry, my bad. Victoria Falls is so much closer -- like 3,300 miles from the Pyramids. That's so much shorter -- like the distance from Seattle to Miami? Originally Posted by pjorourke
Now PJ,you leave Charles alone.WTF traded him to me for some gummie bears, so it is my job to gaurd him from people people like you Geography can be tough.Before I started to travel a lot I actually thought that Australia was a country in Europe.
Charles - I would pick the pyrimids myself, but I'm not in charge (How did that happen!?!) - Egypt will be a trip someday, maybe with Turkey. And Hong Kong...yes. Could a person do that on the way to a dive trip to phucket thailand? It seems like a good way to kill two birds with one stone....
Yes. I think Thailand/Hong Kong trip can be done.

Despite PJ's opinion, I have a pretty good idea of where things are in the world. Geography was one of my favorite subjects. [And when I was a tween, I had a HOT babysitter that I was in heat with (but her not with me ) that tested me on locations in the US and around the world on a daily basis. I got pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Becky/Sydneyb--Thanks!