Could Providers start sueing Hobbyist for bad reviews?

Interesting article below about customers writing negative reviews on yelp and Angie's list. And the plaintiffs ARE winning their cases. After reading this article you'll see that there is no difference than what we do here on eccie.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/com...st=tbeforebell

I do think it would be fun to have to reenact the mish, fiv, dfk and of course the bbbjcim to show the judge that my NO recommendation was warranted.
You do realize that what we do is technically against the law, don't you?

. . . That's a good way to get your butt in jail!

I would think as long as you tell the truth and don't exaggerate you are ok.
The courts love tainted stories of taint being tickled.
Defamation suits for bad reviews would turn the law on its head. Calling a woman a whore is libel per se. The defamation is presumed and the only defense is truth - she is a whore.

In a suit for a bad review the claim is I am a whore but not the poor whore described in the review. No, the defamed courtesan says, I am a great whore and my stellar reputation has been damaged and I want that lying mofo monger to pay me damages. Lotsa of damages.

Of course the great whore will need to produce her tax returns, before and after, to prove her lost income. See that guy sitting in the front row of the courtroom? He's from the IRS.
Once guys start countersuing due to fake/old pics, untimely aunt Flo visits, Cash and Dashing, etc, I think the momentum would swing back the other way.
I would think as long as you tell the truth and don't exaggerate you are ok. Originally Posted by OTTER7001
Wrong on so many levels, but the simplest and most basic reason it wouldn't work is this: Dirty Hands. In order to show that she was financially harmed by a bad review, a provider would have to submit tax records. And since she is not reporting the income, the case would be thrown out. Judges are not going to allow you (the provider) to say "Your honor, I've been cheating on my income tax by not reporting what I make providing, but he cost me money, so punish him." Rather, the judge will admonish you: "Don't come to my Court with dirty hands (cheating the IRS) and expect to find justice."
-
There's also the little problem of being forced to swear under oath that you routinely engage in illegal activities. How credible do you think a jury will find you?
-
There's also the little problem of being forced to swear under oath that you routinely engage in illegal activities. How credible do you think a jury will find you? Originally Posted by Poet Laureate
If I was a member of the jury I would try to make a very erotic deal.
Last month there was that guy that sued his wife cuz he had and ugly baby! lol turns out the girl had so much plastic surgery that the husband never knew about. Bottom line HE WON!!! so if you can sue your husband or wife for ugly kids and win, I wouldnt put this past some eccie members lol!
For a few bucks you can buy anything, good reviews, bad reviews, including okays on P411, the "most trusted"(??????) verification site.

When you deal with people, money is all you need to get everything you want.
I would think as long as you tell the truth and don't exaggerate you are ok. Originally Posted by OTTER7001
Otterman, You haven't read many reviews....have you? You Registered Member you (How does one get their Member Registered??).
The sad truth about the American Legal system is that A: We have far too many Lawyers (America has the highest number of Lawyers per capita than any other Country in the World) & B: You can file a Lawsuit against anyone for anything justified or not. There are entire Law Firms dedicated to filing Lawsuits on peoples behalf. Most of these are "Newsence Lawsuits" and completely ground less. Most are settled out of court for less then $5,000. The Lawyer or Law Firm takes their 50-75% (depending upon what your State Laws allow or the contract with the Lawyer says you agreed to pay them) and the "Plaintiff" gets the rest. All I can say is if the one Provider I have ever written a bad review about decides to sue me. She can explain to the Court why she is suing me over a prepaid appointment that never took place. It might actually be worth getting sued to see that.
Interesting article below about customers writing negative reviews on yelp and Angie's list. And the plaintiffs ARE winning their cases. After reading this article you'll see that there is no difference than what we do here on eccie.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/com...st=tbeforebell

I do think it would be fun to have to reenact the mish, fiv, dfk and of course the bbbjcim to show the judge that my NO recommendation was warranted. Originally Posted by Bababoeuy
I can only hope that you made this post in jest.
Pretty creative ThreAD though. The last paragraph gives it away.
Lawsuits regarding matters "against public policy" are not allowed. You can't sue your dealer for sub-standard weed, even if he gave you a written guarantee, because buying or selling weed is against public policy. Suing a spouse over an ugly baby, while absurd and non-litigiable, is not against public policy, i.e., making babies is within the scope of "not against public policy."

A good example of this issue was when Michael Jackson allegedly paid a kid/his family $10million to remain silent about certain behavior. Well, it is against public policy to constrain someone from reporting an illegal act, so the kid kept the money and told anyway. MJ had no cause of action against the child or the family. He could not sue to get his money back for breach of contract, because the contract was against public policy. Got it? It's a conceptual thing, not a hard-and-fast set of rules.
Ahhhh never mind lol