Shutting Down the Govt. - Where Do You Stand?

but of course he handled pretty much everything better (with the obvious exception of White House BJ discretion). Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
And those of us on a SHMB are going to criticize this???
Makes sense, since they figure they're the ones who'll benefit politically. I think that's probably the case, but it's not nearly as clear as it was back in 1995 when Bill Clinton politically outmaneuvered Gingrich & Co. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
This ain't 1995. There was no Fox News/talk radio/Internet to get the word out. Gingrich and company were at the mercy of ABC/CBS/NBC. The public is much more engaged today and sympathetic to cutting spending. That and they know that we are talking chump change in a multi-trillion budget. Which is why I think the Reps are making an issue of this. If Boehner can't stand up to Obama over something this small, the 2012 budget will be a massive swindle. If Boehner loses here, he may lose the Speakers gavel.
I thought this was a good perspective on the shut-down:

"Stockman—who in 1981 wrote the guidelines for a government shutdown that, three decades later, are still the template for the action he favors—insisted that the economic consequences of temporarily laying off one-fourth of the country’s 4 million federal employees and closing the doors of various agencies, have been greatly exaggerated in the service of demagoguery. “I think that’s a lot of baloney that’s being put out by the interest groups and lobbies and the White House,” Stockman told me, reacting to the Democrats’ dire claims of a new recession. “A few days or even a few weeks of a very few people on furlough—most of whom are likely to get back pay, because that has been the precedent in the past—once this crisis is over, how is that going to affect a $15 trillion economy?
“If the Smithsonian, the Parks Service and the Cherry Blossom Festival get delayed or canceled, it’s the wakeup call that we really needed. The fools inside the Beltway are borrowing $100 billion month in and month out, and there’s nobody left in the world buying except the central banks—the Fed and the people’s printing press of China. There’s no way that’s sustainable or viable. It’s simply building up pressure in the monetary system that’s going to blow sky-high.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-04-07/reagan-budget-guru-david-stockman-says-shut-down-the-government/full/#
Hey, I heard The Obamas just left town on vacation. If the federal government does shut down, does that include Air Force One? Will the first family have to fly home on Southwest Airlines?
Yep, another vacation...here is Obama's new campgain slogan for 2012:

BTW, the guy has played about 48 rounds of golf in the two years he has been in office (which includes the "worst economic recession since the great depression" and three wars inlcuding the one in Libya just started by Obama)...Bush stopped playing golf, in the second year of his Presidency, at about 18 rounds when the Iraq war started...

As a golfer I must admit; Obama can swing the stick alot better than he can throw a baseball (which is kind of girly don't you think?).

Anybody know what was agreed to? I'm reading $38 billion in cuts. What is going to be cut? What riders, if any, will pass?
The only riders had to do with how Washington DC can use some funds. The big policy ones did not make it in the final bill.

I have no issue with policy's being debated but this funding bill was the wrong place for them (and the Dems have been guilty of this as well).
Hey, I heard The Obamas just left town on vacation. If the federal government does shut down, does that include Air Force One? Will the first family have to fly home on Southwest Airlines? Originally Posted by Wetwork Daddy
Too bad you didn't meet Phatdaty before he was banned the day you joined.
He might have felt this way too.
Too bad you didn't meet Phatdaty before he was banned the day you joined.
He might have felt this way too. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
Who is that and what do you mean?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
  • Doove
  • 04-10-2011, 02:56 PM
When a bust occurs on a president's watch, it rarely works for him to claim that it's everybody else's fault. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
Not entirely true. I seem to remember a recent disaster that happened on a President's watch which not only didn't get blamed on him, but its happening on his watch seemed to, alone, make him the de-facto expert on preventing the next one.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
Now I am really confused. What man?